Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

One factor that greatly impacted my decision to study at the University of Minnesota was its convenient location in the heart of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Situated on the outskirts of downtown Minneapolis, students at U of M are only minutes away from the great opportunities and entertainment that our vibrant metropolis has to offer.

48CMUSummerSkyline.jpg

Minneapolis skyline from the University's East Bank

In June 2010, Forbes Magazine has ranked Minneapolis as one of the Best Cities for Young Professionals. In article, Forbes highlights that Minneapolis is a very affordable city to live with good job prospects and larger-than-average incomes. "Minneapolis is a place where college grads can get a strong start on high-powered careers," said the article.

And just this month, Forbes Magazine ranked Minneapolis the Best City for Finding Employment. The article emphasizes that Minneapolis has a low unemployment rate with a diversity of job opportunities. In addition, Minneapolis offers a "high quality of life with a relatively low cost of living while being one of the major metropolitan centers of the Midwest."

There are many factors to consider during the college search process. When I was making my decision, the great location of the University of Minnesota was a deciding factor. Check out some of my other post on why the Twin Cities are such a place to live, study, and play!

- Twin Cities public transportation voted among best in US 

- Sing, Dance, and Live the Twin Cites Music Scene 

- Biking on campus and around the Twin Cities

It's hard to believe, but once again, it's time for midterms! This is always one of the busiest parts of my semester. It's times like these that I'm thankful to have a campus with so many student academic resources. Here are a few that I frequently use when I needs some support

SMART Learning Commons

SMART Learning Commons, on the second floor of Walter Library, is amazing. I spent a great deal of time there last semester when I needed help with calculus. Peer learning consultants are always available for walk-in appointments regarding almost any subject. These tutors are awesome; I have never had a bad experience with any one of them! By following the link, you are also able to find group study sessions, online resources, and more. I highly recommend checking it out.

Center for Writing

The Center for Writing offers support for any type of term paper or writing assignment you may have. It is really easy to set up an appointment with a consultant. These appointments can be either face-to-face or online, and they are super helpful! The Center for Writing is located in Nicholson Hall.

Breakout Rooms

Sometimes, all you need to study is a quiet space and some time to think without distractions. My favorite spot to do this is a Carlson School of Management breakout room, which you can reserve in advance for your own study time. However, there are lots of other great places to study on campus, such as Walter and Wilson Libraries. That's the beauty of this campus. Good luck on your midterms!

As a former U of M student and as a working professional, one of my favorite qualities of the University of Minnesota was its location. The Twin Cities campus is located in a large metropolitan area with great opportunities to get involved in the campus community and the Twin Cities community through jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities and student groups. The Twin Cities not only offers great opportunities for you to gain valuable experiences, but also tons of opportuntities to enjoy your four years as an undergraduate student.

Located in Minneapolis and St. Paul, our campus draws in performers, entertainers, and lecturers such as President Barack Obama, Bob Dylan and fomer Vice President Al Gore. Even the Dalai Lama is set to come this May. And if you are a Sarah Silverman fan, next Wednesday would be a great time to come to campus. She will be performing in Ted Mann Hall on Wednesday, March 23. Tickets are still available, so if you are interested check out more information about her show.

With so many events on campus you might think its hard to keep up-to-date on campus happenings, but the University's Events Calendar is a great resource to learn what's happening on campus today and each month.

With so many opportunities to get involved in activities and enjoy world-class entertainment, the Twin Cities campus is a great place for a college education!

The College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) will be hosting "Classes without Quizzes" on April 2nd on our St. Paul Campus. Honeybees, garden remedies, lawn care, healthy eating, tax policy, water quality, sustainable buying, and threats to the global food supply are among the featured topics this year.

Experts from CFANS will be presenting mini-seminars available to the general public. This is an opportunity for students of all ages to learn from top faculty and experts. The event will run from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by an optional lunch.

The event costs $30.00 for the general public, $10.00 for K-12 and U of M Students, and $25.00 for U of M Alumni Association Members.

Here is information on the different topics and seminars available.

Register online here!

I am very pleased to say that the University of Minnesota has opened a one-of-a-kind facility right here on our St. Paul campus. The U of M recently launched the first Animal Trauma Center in the nation, which is based on the human model for clinical trauma care. This Trauma Center is primarily designed for cats and dogs for injuries such as moving vehicle accidents, major falls, bite wounds, and smoke or chemical inhalation.

"Most animal hospitals are equipped to handle common animal emergencies during regular office hours, and a number of emergency clinics in the Twin Cities extend those services beyond normal hours," said Dr. David Lee, director of the Veterinary Medical Center. "The University of Minnesota's Animal Trauma Center is unique in that we're able to quickly mobilize the critical resources needed to meet the needs of trauma patients. Just as in human medicine, not every practice or emergency clinic needs the ability to handle trauma cases - but a large metro area can benefit from having a designated center to serve the region."

You can read more about the Animal Trauma Center here.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home