Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Thank you to all of you that have been following my blog throughout this year! Every week, I have tried to post intersting events, activities, and information about the College of Biological Sciences and the University of Minnesota.

If you enjoy my blog, be sure to check out BioBlog as well. BioBlog is a blog that concentrates on posting current news, information and event specifically in the College of Biological Sciences. Some recent posts include student job postings, faculty discussions, research symposiums.

One of the most recent posts on BioBlog is advertising an open discussion with Dr. Mark Borello, a professor in the College of Biological Sciences. This week, Dr. Borello will be talking about altruistic behavior and biological clues to human morality at Bryant Lake Bowl. Meet Dr. Borello yourself at Bryant Lake Bowl in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis to join his discussion on "unselfish genes." Or check out my previous post on Dr. Borello's new book on the history of the evolutionary debate.

Being a student at the University of Minnesota definitely has its perks. I would say one of my favorites is discounts on tickets and admission to events. Not only do students receive discounts for all the Golden Gopher sporting events, campus concerts, and special events, we also get great deals at places in the Twin Cities. Check out some of the deals offered through Student Unions & Activities:

Minnesota Wild
The Minnesota Wild is the National Hockey League team here in the Twin Cities. I am a huge hockey fan and an even bigger Wild fan. It is so much fun to go to Xcel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul and cheer on the team in the great state of hockey. (And students save over $54 on tickets!)

Minnesota Zoo
The Minnesota Zoo is one of the top zoos in the nation. There are over 2,400 animals to see, including 15 endangered species. The zoo is open year round and is the perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Loring Theater
The Loring Theater is a historical, performing arts theater on Nicollet Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. There are always a variety of stellar performers lined up. See anything from world renown musical artists to hilarious comedians.

Water Park of America
Water Park of America is located right outside of the Twin Cities nearby the Mall of America. The water park houses Minnesota's only surf simulator pool and America's longest indoor raft ride. There are also tons of water slides, a wave pool, arcade, and a spa. I know where I am having my next birthday party!

Minnesota State Fair
The Minnesota State Fair, often referred to as "The Great Minnesota Get Together," is one of the best celebrations of the year. It happens at the end of August, right before school begins. There is just about every type of food you can think of (on a stick, of course!), concerts, petting zoos, rides, and more. There is something for everyone to enjoy at the state fair and we Minnesotans love it!

This is just a small sampling of the events and tickets discounted for students. Visit the Student Unions & Activities website for a listing of all of the discounts available.

The winter 2011 edition of Solutions, the College of Food Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS) official magazine, will be arriving in subscribers' mailboxes soon. The latest version of the magazine includes stories about how climate change can be tracked via polar bear counting; how high-tunnel research has evolved; a project that shows how Twin Cities household habits affect pollutants; and a follow-up to professor Paul Porter's bicycle trip across Africa.

CFANS publishes this wonderful magazine a number of times throughout each year. This magazine highlights the numerous exciting things that our students, faculty, and alumni are doing. You can check out some of the magazine's stories on the CFANS website.

Solutions.jpg

Jamie Millard, Regan Smith and Meghan Suszynski, three recent graduates of the College of Liberal Arts, will be debuting their third issue of Paper Darts, a local literary magazine, this Saturday! The magazine, which incorporates artwork, literary submissions, and poetry from local artists (and artists as far away as Belgium!), combines all different forms of art and interweaves them in a full-size, colorful magazine and an interactive website.

The trio first met while working together on a couple of literary magazines including the Ivory Tower, the U of M's literary magazine, and Alive Magazine. As students at the University of Minnesota they were able to explore their interests in publishing and develop their professional skills through coursework and student groups.

Read more about Paper Darts in a recent Star Tribune article.

Students in the Department of Food Science and Nutrition are frequently involved in research projects focused on food and nutrition. This offers students the opportunity to get some great hands-on research experience, while giving other U of M students the opportunity to be paid to eat food! These research sessions range from a short 30-minute research project to long-term projects where panelists earn $10.00 per hour.

One recent project consisted of a lunch where panelists tasted different foods, and then had a videotaped conversation about how the panelists feel about the food and its taste.

In another recent project, students taste-tested foreign snack foods. Then, they rated the snack foods based on taste, and completed a questionnaire. This whole experience took about 15 minutes, and the panelists were each paid $7.00. Once you have become a student here at the U of M, you can sign up to receive emails about the different food and nutrition studies happening around campus.

Visit the Department of Food Science and Nutrition to learn more!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home