Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Do you play an instrument or enjoy singing, but don't want to major in music? If so, rest assured that there are plenty of opportunities for non-music majors to pursue their passion for music on campus. From student groups to music classes, here are just a few examples of some of our musical student groups:

Basses Wild
An all-male A Capella group that performs a diverse array of arrangements from barber shop to contemporary pop.

The Enchantments
An all-female A Capella group that practices twice a week and typically performs 3-4 times a semester.

The University of Minnesota Marching Band
The University of Minnesota Marching Band consists of over 300 students. Auditions are not required (except for drumline).

You can also get involved in instrumental or vocal ensembles and competitions through the School of Music or take non-major music courses for credit. 

For information on more opportunities to get involved, take a look at student groups under Fine Arts/Music/Film or check out the School of Music!

There are a lot of things I love about Minneapolis and St. Paul. The vibrant culture, vibrant music scene, and fabulous outdoor recreation...just to name a few. However, topping the list is the Twin Cities' commitment to public transportation. In fact, U.S. News named Minneapolis and St. Paul the 5th "Best City for Public Transportation" in the United States!

The article highlights the light rail and the its future development to connect both St. Paul and Minneapolis. Getting around in Minneapolis is super easy with the Metro Transit service. Downtown is a quick 10-minute bus ride from campus. From there, riders to go to the Mall of America, see a Twins game at Target Field, or hop a bus to the beautiful lakes in Uptown! And, with a University of Minnesota U-Pass, a deeply discounted Metro Transit pass for students, getting around without a car is easy and affordable!

It is really great to live in a city where public transportation is so convenient. Not having to worry about a car and parking is a big weight off my shoulders. In addition, public transportation is a much better for the environment and you can relax and enjoy music or a book rather than sitting in traffic!

Interested in learning more about transportation on (and off) campus? Check out my post on biking on campus and around the Twin Cities, visit Metro Transit's website, or explore Parking & Transportation Services at the U of M.

When I entered the College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) as a student, I learned about the job resources available to me from the Career Services Center. I remember when I first utilized the Career Services, I found the staff so helpful. The counselor I met with truly cared about my goals and helping me achieve them. Plus, the Career Services Center staff only work with CEHD students, so they have a great understanding of the careers that our students are pursuing and how to help them get there.

Through CEHD career services, I enhanced my resume by having one-on-one sessions with a career counselor, who helped me practice my interview skills (I, like many people, get nervous during interviews!). And of course, our counselors help students to find experience in their fields through volunteering and internships.

In the upcoming weeks and months, the College of Education and Human Development will be hosting job fairs to support students in finding meaningful job and internship experiences. This February, CEHD will host a job fairs for students in all their majors. Companies who hire students in those fields will come to campus to recruit for their organizations. In addition, the U of M recently held the the University of Minnesota Job Fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center in downtown Minneapolis. Student studying health, wellness, recreation and sports had the opportunity to meet with organizations such as the Mayo Clinic, Minnesota Timberwolves, and the Minnesota Zoo. Our education students met with organizations such as St.Paul Public Schools, Admission Possible, and Youth Works.

It's a good feeling to know that as you are working toward your degree, your college is working to help you be successful with that degree. Students that have graduated from the College of Education and Human Development have found careers in counseling, teaching, physical therapy, and outdoor activities...just to name a few. The University of Minnesota has a close relationship with literally hundreds of companies and organizations within the Twin Cities and the state. It's a relationship that's vital for the success and development of our graduates. Check out the CEHD Career Services webpage to learn more.

Do you wonder what College of Liberal Arts (CLA) students are up to? If so, I invite you to check out the CLA Ambassadors Facebook page

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 2.55.03 PM[1].JPG

On the Ambassadors page, you'll find information about events on campus, majors, and learn about all of the extraordinary opportunities you'll have as a CLA student...including studying abroad, internships, jobs and service-learning projects. You can also get to know our current and former CLA Ambassadors, read up about why they chose the University of Minnesota, what they plan to do with their U of M education, and much more!

In addition, don't forget to check out our Discover CLA website. There, you will find all sorts of helpful information as you continue to explore your college options.

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 3.01.02 PM[1].JPG

You can read about research conducted by CLA professors conduct and learn more about the great opportunities that you can experience as a student in the College of Liberal Arts!

I was looking back at my old blog posts and realized that 2010 was a great year at the University of Minnesota! I have made a lot of great memories and have even more to look forward this spring. Here are some of my favorite posts from 2010:

The Bucket List
At the beginning of the year, I made a to-do list of all the things I have wanted to experience at the U of M before I graduate. I have crossed off a few of the items, but I have some work to do before May!

Homecoming 2010 in review
Homecoming 2010, Paint the Town Gold, was legendary this year. This post highlights all the fun Homecoming events. The best part was that I was on the committee that planned and implemented it!

Hockey season...finally!
In October I wrote about the beginning of the Golden Gopher men's hockey season, a great tradition in the state of hockey. Now it is hard to believe that the season is almost over. Hopefully the guys will make it to the frozen four!

Gopher Adventure Race
The first-ever Gopher Adventure Race modeled after the popular television show, "The Amazing Race", was held on campus this fall. The event was the ultimate scavenger hunt and took the winning team over two hours to complete!

Holiday fun in the Twin Cities
I could not leave for winter break before experiencing some of the best holiday events the Twin Cities have to offer! In this post, I shared some of my favorite things to do during the 'most wonderful time of the year'.

This spring, I'll continue writing about my U of M student experience. I hope you'll join me as I count down the weeks to graduation in May!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home