Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Looking back at my blog posts from this last year, I realized a lot of things have happened! For those of you new to my blog, I thought I would share some of my favorite entries with you:

Engineers Without Borders 

is one of our College of Science and Engineering student groups.  Each year EWB undertakes a new project, most of which involve water distribution, filtration, and storage systems. During the year, they plan and fundraise, then they travel internationally to implement their projects.

Study abroad in science and engineering!  

My international experience was incredible. I traveled to China on a Global Seminar offered by the College of Science and Engineering. I learned about electrical engineering and I got to explore a new country!

Women in the College of Science and Engineering 

This year the College of Science and Engineering's freshman class is 25 percent female!  This is the highest percentage in the history of our college. CSE is committed to encouraging women in the technical fields, and in this blog post you'll learn about some of the programs that support our undergraduate women.

CSE flash mob takes over Northrop Mall  

Last fall the College of Science and Engineering celebrated its 75th anniversary. To mark the occasion, we served sandwiches and soda on Northrop Mall, and some CSE students and faculty showed off their dance moves!

I'll have a lot more exciting information, events, and research to share with you in 2011...so stay tuned!

Below is a video of Sarah Beraki, a junior here at the U of M. Sarah is very active on campus and serves as a board member for Black Motivated Women and Voices Merging. She is also a general member of the Black Student Union. Watch the video below to learn more about Sarah and why she chose to attend The U of M.

Click on the links to get more insight into the majors that Sarah mentioned! 

Anthropology http://anthropology.umn.edu/

Art http://art.umn.edu/

Studying abroad, service projects, research, and hands-on learning are all experiences available to you at the U of M. There are two student groups on campus which incorporate all of these experiences. One you may have already heard of is called Engineers Without Borders (EWB). The University of Minnesota has a very active EWB chapter, currently working on three service projects.

A similar student group was recently founded here called Innovative Engineers. Members of this student group traveled to the Nicaraguan village of La Hermita to install a wind turbine to help residents power their homes. Before the wind turbine, residents were using car batteries for power. When the batteries ran out, residents would lose a whole day of work travelling on horseback to the nearest city to recharge. 

Innovative Engineers.jpg

Photo courtesy the College of Science and Engineering

This group was formed in 2009 by students who were inspired by their participation in a U of M Global Seminar on renewable energies in Scandinavia. The group's website explains, "The overall experience had a profound impact, providing the inspiration to forge a student organization dedicated to the development of renewable energy technology."

Paul Imbertson, professor of electrical and computer engineering, led the global seminar.  After the students' return, he worked with them to build a wind turbine. The student group grew from there.

Within a year, Innovative Engineers reached 85 members and has taken on more projects.  

Read about the group's current projects!

Greetings readers new and old! Today, I thought it would be fun to highlight some of the my favorite blog posts from the the previous year. For those of you that have been up-to-date with my postings in the past, consider this one a review. And for those of you that are new to my posts, this is a great opportunity to get caught up!

College of Biological Sciences Admissions Blog: Best of 2010

1. Adventure awaits at the Center of Outdoor Adventure - This post highlights the University of Minnesota's Center for Outdoor Adventure (COA). Learn about great opportunites and resources COA offers for students interested in outdoor recreation. As a student, I was avid participant in COA activities. I really enjoyed writing this post, since outdoor adventure is my favorite hobby and I able to include a picture of me in Colorado.

2. From the classroom to the exam room - Written in September, this post detailed an amazing volunteer experience I was able to participate in the summer before my senior year in CBS. After our experience, the College of Biological Sciences put together a short video about the trip. Check out the video and learn about the amazing opportunities that await you at the College of Biological Sciences!

3. Study biology in the Galapagos...and beyond - Students interested in studying abroad, definitely consider studying in the Galapagos Islands! This incredible 3-week studying abroad experience has students walk the steps of Charles Darwin and explore first-hand the origins of evolutionary biology. My blog posted back in October includes a great video as well.

Thank for reading the Best of 2010! Stayed tuned to the University of Minnesota Admissions Blogs for more great posts in 2011. 

-Matt

With so many options for entertainment in the Twin Cities, it is difficult to imagine not being able to find something to do. Minneapolis and St. Paul both offer a thriving and vibrant arts community, tons of opportunities to explore different cultures and foods, and eight professional sports teams. With so many choices in the community surrounding campus, it is sometimes easy to overlook events happening on the U of M campus itself.

You can stay in touch with all of the happenings around campus by visiting the University of Minnesota's events calendar. There you will find all sorts of happenings like guest lectures, seminars, Golden Gophers athletics, art exhibitions, theatre performances, concerts, and more.

One of my favorite on-campus events that I attended during my undergraduate career was the School of Music's Chamber Music Galla, which was a string performance by graduate students in the School of Music. At the time I was taking an introduction to guitar class, and my instructor was a student in the Master of Fine Arts program and performed with other students during the event. To this day, it is still one of my favorite concerts ever! Another popular event that many students enjoy is the annual College of Design student fashion show.

Here's a very small sampling of the events happening on campus this month:

Feb. 2 - Gopher men's basketball vs. Indiana (watch in-person or cheer on the team with other fans at Goldy's Gameroom!)

Feb. 3 - Free showing of Food, Inc. at the St. Paul Student Center Theater as part of Green Week

Feb. 3 - The Voronezh State Ballet Theatre of Russia performs Swan Lake at Northrop Memorial Auditorium 

Feb. 4 & 5 - Gophers After Dark at Coffman Memorial Union (learn more here)

Feb. 5 - Galactic Bowling at the St. Paul Student Center

Feb. 5 - Free showing of Due Date at the Coffman Theater

Feb. 8 - Author Charles Baxter discusses his new book "Gryphon" at Coffman Memorial Union

Feb. 8 - Bergen Woodwind Quintet in concert at Ted Mann Concert Hall

Feb. 9 - The War of Words About Science discussion with former WCCO-TV news anchor Don Shelby

Feb. 11 - Winter's Tale (performed by University Theater Arts & Dance) at Northrop Memorial Auditorium 

Feb. 11 - Gopher men's hockey vs. Denver at Mariucci Arena

Feb. 12 - Gopher women's gymnastics Best of Minnesota meet at U of M Sports Pavilion

Feb. 16 - Free showing of The Social Network, St. Paul Student Center Theater

Feb. 17 - Noah Earle, Luke Redfield, and William Within concert at The Whole in Coffman Memorial Union

Feb. 17 - Gopher women's basketball vs. Purdue at Williams Arena

Feb. 23-24 - Gopher men's swimming and diving Big Ten Championship at the University Aquatic Center

Feb. 24 - BITS Student Variety Show at The Whole 

So, if you're curious about student life and wondering what happens on campus outside the classroom, make sure to check out the University's events calendarStudent Unions & ActivitiesNorthrop Memorial Auditorium, and GopherSports.com

Apply Visit Ask Us Home