Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

One of the aspects I appreciate most about the University of Minnesota is its focus on preparing students for "the real world"--life after college. For example, the Carlson School of Management emphasizes group projects because teamwork is crucial in the business world. Every class I've taken within Carlson has contained some sort of group project. The team presentations and papers professors assign in my classes have helped me develop a skill set of communication, leadership, and organizational skills. These skills, along with understanding how to work in a group dynamic, are all very applicable to future careers and are exactly what employers are looking for when hiring college graduates. I've already been able to leverage my experiences with these group projects by talking about them in internship interviews for companies like Target and Kohl's!

Another way that I've been able to prepare myself for my future career is through taking advantages of the vast career services offered at the U of M. Every different college within the U of M has their own career services office. Since I'm a business student enrolled in Carlson School of Management, I frequent the Undergraduate Business Career Center (UBCC). The UBCC offers awesome services like resume reviews, mock interviews, workshops, an online job and internship searching system, and more. The list is nearly endless! When I filled out my first job application that required a resume during my freshman year, at first I felt completely lost. I had no idea where to begin! However, I used the UBCC career coaches as a resource to help me put my first resume together and they were so helpful. I definitely wouldn't have had such a professional, well-written resume if it weren't for the UBCC's resume review services. (By the way, I got the job!)

In a nutshell, U of M sends students off into "the real world" with countless opportunities, knowledge, and skills. It's just another reason to be filled with Gopher pride.

A very exciting event just took place this past weekend: the 45th Annual College of Design Senior Fashion Show: Flux. This special fashion show represents the culmination of the apparel design program for senior students, and was also the kick-off for Fashion Week in Minneapolis. Seniors in the program showcased their final works in two runway shows. The show also featured sophomore and junior student works, prior to the senior showcase portion. 

The event took place right on campus at Rapson Hall. The entire show was planned and funded by the design students, who sought donors and sponsors, and worked very hard to put the whole event together. The hard work certainly paid off! The fashion show was a success and had a great turnout, including members of the Twin Cities fashion community and press. 

Screen shot 2013-02-21 at 11.18.29 AM.png

Photo from the UofMAdmissions Instagram account.

Take a peek at the fashion show finale by viewing our Vine video from the show, and check out at some of the amazing design pieces by viewing the College of Design's Facebook album.

If you're interested in learning more about the apparel design program at the University of Minnesota, or other programs within the College of Design, visit http://www.design.umn.eduYou can also select one of the special design campus visit options by scheduling your campus visit online at http://z.umn.edu/campusvisit, or calling the VISITLINE at 612-625-0000.

Did you know that Forbes recently ranked Minneapolis as the #1 healthiest city in America? Here on campus, there are tons of different student organizations dedicated to encourage students to live active, healthy lifestyles in the healthiest city in the U.S. Today I'd like to put the spotlight on just one of them: the University Running Club.

The University Running Club's members are runners of all abilities who meet every week for distance runs. From students who want to try running for the first time, to those who competed at the state level in high school, all are welcome at the Running Club.

In addition to weekly distance runs, the University Running Club has a racing team that travels around the nation and competes at college Division 2 and 3 NCAA cross country and track meets. Because of the Running Club's affiliation with the National Intercollegiate Running Club Association (NIRCA), racers can also compete at regional and national meets with other college running clubs. Runners can choose whether or not they want to participate on the racing team.

For people who still want to race, but don't necessarily want to compete against varsity teams, the Running Club also runs 5K's, 10K's and other races both off and on campus.

It sounds like joining University of Minnesota Running Club is an excellent way to make new friends and stay in shape at the same time! Does this sound like a student group you'd like to be a part of in college?

Check out their official website at:
http://groupspaces.com/theuniversityrunningclub/

And their Facebook page at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-University-Running-Club/6462499329

Megan_picture.jpg

Name: Megan Odom 

Hometown: Savage, MN
Major(s): Spanish and Sociology of Law, Criminology, and Deviance
Year in School: Junior, Class of 2014

Why she chose the U of M: 
Megan ultimately chose to attend the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities based on the quality of academic programs as well as value: low cost of attendance and great scholarship opportunities.

Campus involvement:

Swing Dancing
• The Rock Church (click here to see a list of the variety of religion-based student groups available to all students on campus)
Admissions Ambassadors

Getting involved in research: "As a freshman, my research project included working with the speech-language-hearing sciences department to research effective language interventions for children and adolescents with both Down Syndrome and Fragile X Syndrome."

Highlight of her freshman year at the U of M: "Meeting a group of friends who are like family! We made 'family dinners' on Sunday nights a tradition."

Her advice to high school seniors: "Stay in touch with friends once you go off to college - everyone loves to get mail!"

Name: Alexander Sprenger
Portrait.jpg
Hometown: East Troy, Wisconsin

Majors: Finance and International Business

Year of expected graduation: 2016

Why he chose the U of M: The U of M has all the exciting opportunities of a large university, but also closer circles of support. Also, I liked the opportunities offered by the Carlson School of Management, especially with the Twin Cities being such a vibrant center of business.

How he is involved at the U of M: I am an officer in the International Business Association and a member of the Investment and Finance Organization. I also play in the University Pep Band.

Highlight of his U of M experience so far: Going to my first ever Golden Gopher football game.

His advice to high school seniors: Don't be afraid to talk to your parents and counselors about the college search process. Talking about it with others is a good way to de-stress. Find out as much as you can, especially with a college visit, but don't worry too much. You're not alone in this process!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home