Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Hi everyone, I'm back with another interview! Below is a video of University of Minnesota senior and nutrition major Alicia, sharing why she chose the U of M.

Thanks for watching! 

One of my favorite spots on the University's St. Paul campus is the Raptor Center. The Raptor Center specializes in medical care, rehabilitation, and conservation of eagles, hawks, owls, and falcons. In addition to treating approximately 800 birds a year, the internationally known program reaches more than 200,000 people each year through public education programs and events, provides training in avian medicine and surgery for veterinarians from around the world, and identifies emerging issues related to raptor health and populations.

I love visiting the Raptor Center. They give tours to the public every Tuesday through Friday. Tours typically start every half hour or so. It is amazing to see these birds up close, and to learn about them and why they are in the Raptor Center. The tour guides are incredibly knowledgeable and give some great advice as to what we can do to help prevent future raptor injuries and diseases.

As you could guess, raptors do not have owners to help pay for their medical bills. This means that the majority of the workers at the Raptor Center do their work as volunteers. Students at the U of M and in CFANS dedicate their time to volunteer. You can click here to sign up to volunteer at the Raptor Center (that experience would look great on a veterinary school application!).

Some advice to prevent injuries and illness for raptors:

• Do not use lead based ammunition and fishing tackle. Lead poisoning is one of the biggest problems for these birds today. Twenty-five percent of the bald eagles admitted to the Raptor Center suffer from lead poisoning.
  • Reduce E-Waste which deposits lead, mercury, silver, and cadmium into the environment which can be very hazardous to wildlife and humans.
  • Do not throw left over food out of your car windows. This attracts mice which in turn attracts birds of prey to the roadside. A large number of the raptors that are brought in have been hit by cars. 
Learn more on the Raptor Center website!

Student groups are an excellent way to make friends, develop your talents and skills, and feel at home in the University community. One of my favorite student organizations at the University is Voices Merging, a spoken-word and arts collective that has performed at several Office of Admissions events over the years. Each time I see them performed, I'm stunned by their talent! 

Voices Merging describes itself as a "multicultural student based artist coalition dedicated to providing venues, workshops and comfortable atmosphere for all types of artists." It offers students a exciting avenue to pursue their artistic endeavors outside of an academic arena. (In fact, one of our very own admissions counselors, Jasmine Omorogbe, is a talented spoken-word artist and a past president of Voices Merging!)

Get more information about Voices Merging here, check out their website, or view an alphabetical list of all of the University's student organizations. 

During the warmer months, the University of Minnesota's Les Bolstad Golf Course is a great place for U of M students, faculty, staff, and general public to test their skills on the links. But did you know that during the winter months Les Bolstad is crafted into a extensive nordic ski track?

This year, the University of Minnesota's Center of Outdoor Adventure and Nordic Ski Center have designed three trails that run throughout the entire golf course. For $3.00, students can ski at will throughout the winter months. Don't have skis? No problem! The Center for Outdoor Adventure located on the lower level of the University Recreation Center has all the the equipment you need to get out on the trails!

Don't get stuck inside during the winter months. There is plenty of fantastic, low-cost outdoor activities to get participate in throughout the University of Minnesota and the Twin Cities. Feel free to stop by the Center for Outdoor Adventure to learn about their outdoor winter trips and clinics!

Hi, everyone! 

I hope that the holiday season has treated you well. Below is a video of one of our admissions counselors, Thuy-Vy Bui, sharing a couple of the reasons she chose the U of M.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home