Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

If you are interested in a pursuing a music, theatre, dance, or art major at the U of M, here is some important information about each department and the application process:

All students must submit their application materials including the application form, application fee, official high school transcripts, and official ACT or SAT scores to the Office of Admissions by December 15th, 2010, to be given priority consideration. 

Students interested in the four art disciplines may also be required to submit additional materials or may be required to audition for a specific program (you do not need an admission decision in order to audition for any of the programs). 

If you are interested in any of the art disciplines, check out the following links. You can also find great information about the coursework within each of the majors at the University Course Catalogs.

Art:

Degree programs requiring a portfolio:

Bachelor of Fine Arts: Art
Art majors may apply to the B.F.A. degree program after completing the five preparatory core courses required in the major. Application is made by submitting a portfolio to a faculty committee for review. A faculty adviser is chosen upon admission to the B.F.A. program.

Degree programs not requiring a portfolio:

Bachelor of Arts: Art
Bachelor of Arts: Art History

Dance:

Both the Bachelor of Arts in Dance and the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance require an audition.

Music:

Degree programs requiring an audition:

Bachelor of Music: Music
Bachelor of Music: Music Education
Bachelor of Music: Music Therapy

Degree program not requiring an audition:
Bachelor of Arts: Music

Theatre Arts:

Degree program requiring an audition:

Bachelor of Fine Arts: Acting

Bachelor of Arts: Theatre Arts

October 22nd and 29th are Fall for Minnesota Days! Fall for Minnesota Days is a special event for high school students and their families who are interested in learning what it would be like to be a student here at the U of M. The College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences will be having a special visit set up for students who are interested in our college.

Students attending the CFANS event will be attending a tour of the St. Paul campus, which will be lead by our very own St. Paul Ambassadors. Along with the tour, they will attend a CFANS information session and hear from one of our top faculty members. Lastly, students will meet with an adviser from the department in which they are most interested. (Other colleges are hosting their own special visits as well--you can see all options on the registration page.)

You can sign up for Fall for Minnesota Days online or by calling the VISITLINE at 1-800-752-1000. 

I hope to see you on campus soon!

Every year, the University of Minnesota welcomes performers and speakers from all over the world to our campus community. In the past, we have had special appearances by Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Bob Dylan, Jerry Seinfeld, and the Russian Ballet, just to name a few.

This spring, the University of Minnesota's Center for Spirituality and Healing and the Tibetan American Foundation of Minnesota will welcome the Dalai Lama to the U of M campus. His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, will be speaking on May 8th & 9th, 2011, in Northrop Auditorium. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear one of the most influential figures of our generation!

File:14th Dalai Lama.jpg

As a student, I enjoyed attending special events on campus. I saw Kal Penn speak to students about voting and supporting Barack Obama's presidential campaign. I also saw the New Zealand-based musical/comedy group Flight of the Conchords perform. I highly recommend taking advantage for these very unique opportunities while you are a student on campus. (And of course, tickets are offered to students at greatly discounted prices!)

The photo above is labeled for reuse with modification at commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:14th_Dalai_Lama via Wikimedia Commons.

Before I moved from Minneapolis to Kansas City, Missouri, to participate in the Teach for America program, I had never gone on a road trip longer than an hour by myself. I quickly became used to the seven-hour drive between KC and Minneapolis. The hardest part was the middle four hours through Iowa. I always knew I was getting close to Minneapolis when I passed the field of windmills near the Iowa-Minnesota border!

A research project currently underway at the U of M reminded me of that long drive...and also reminded me of how happy I am to be back in my home state again. A team of researchers led by Perry Li, professor of mechanical engineering, recently won a $2 million grant from the National Science Foundation. The team will be studying how to store energy produced by off-shore wind turbines.

windmills.jpgA problem with wind energy right now is that it is inefficient. More energy is created at night, when wind is stronger, but the energy is needed for use during the day. The goal of this research project is to find a way to compress and store air for use during the day.

Currently, only 2 percent of the nation's energy comes from wind power, and the Department of Energy has made it a goal to have 30 percent of our energy created from wind power by the year 2030. Hopefully the research taking place at the U of M will make that a reality!

You can read more about the project in this Minnesota Daily article.

Photo courtesy College of Science and Engineering.

If you are interested studying biology abroad, the College of Biological Sciences has a fantastic program for you. Each May, Professor Sehoya Cotner leads students on an exploration of the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador! This three-week learning abroad program gives students the unique opportunity to walk to steps of Charles Darwin and explore first-hand the origins of evolutionary biology.

The Biology of the Galapagos is one of 300+ study abroad programs offered by the University of Minnesota's Learning Abroad Center (the largest study abroad program in the nation!) No matter what or where you are interested in studying, the Learning Abroad Center has programs to fit your academic goals, travel dreams, and budget.

Even if you are only remotely thinking about studying abroad, talk to you academic adviser about it right when you get on campus. Planning ahead is key! The Learning Abroad Center offers First-Step Meetings that give basic information about programs, services, and resources available through their office. No need to make an appointment, just show up. I highly recommend taking advantage of the amazing experience to explore the world while earing your degree!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home