Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Why do we go to college? There are lots of reasons, but one of the most important is to build the knowledge and skills needed to secure a fulfilling job upon graduation (and hopefully one that can pay your rent, too). It's a pretty daunting task, but the U of M offers some fantastic resources for students to help them navigate the job search process--whether for a volunteer position, an internship, or a full-time professional career.

When I was initially developing my resume, I read many resume-writing website with tips and examples. I even sent my draft to my parents and older brother to edit. I can tell you from experience, though, that nothing was more helpful than the advice of a professional.

The Career Center for Science and Engineering (CCSE) is an amazing resource for College of Science and Engineering (CSE) students. CCSE helps current students find internships and co-ops, connect with professionals in the technical fields, write resumes, and develop interview skills. In fact, recruiters recently ranked schools which produce the best graduates and the University of Minnesota is within the top 10 best engineering schools. You can view the rankings here.

Real world experience as an undergraduate is essential when applying for professional jobs after graduation and we really encourage students to participate in internships, co-ops, and research as undergraduates at the U of M. In fact, 80% of CSE students do at least one internship or co-op during their time here. Read more about internships and co-ops on the CCSE website.

CCSE even has two one-credit classes for students to help prepare them for careers in science and engineering. One class is designed for first- and second-year students who aren't sure which science and engineering major is right for them. Another class is designed for third- and fourth-year students who have already chosen a major and are preparing for their careers.

I know that as high school students you're probably undecided about what you want to study in college, let alone what you want to do for the rest of your life. Rest assured that the College of Science and Engineering offers a lot of fantastic resources and advisers to help you find your direction!

Joan Baez Bob Dylan crop

The University of Minnesota offers freshman seminars to all first-year students. These small, discussion-oriented courses are developed by faculty and are usually based on topics that are relevant to popular culture and what is happening in today's society. Freshman seminars usually meet once a week and are a great way to get to know a faculty member and other first-year students with similar interests.

One seminar being offered this year explores the life and music of Bob Dylan. Mr. Dylan is known as one of the greatest musical artists of all time and is a personal favorite. Did you know he attended the U of M for a year before he moved to New York and became famous? He is also from the Minnesota iron range, just like me!

The Bob Dylan course examines the many contributions he has made to music, popular culture, literature, and film. Class time is spent listening to music; viewing videos, concert footage, and films; and having topical discussions. It is taught by Alex Lubet, a professor of music and American and Jewish Studies. The best part of this class? No exams! 

Learn more about freshman seminars at the U of M.

The photo above is labeled for reuse with modification at http://bit.ly/bOo9QI via Wikimedia Commons.

tech_speak_visit_sm_1.jpg

I want to let you all know about a great event happening on campus this Saturday, October 16.

The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is hosting Technically Speaking, an event for young women who are interested in science and engineering. I am really excited for Technically Speaking because of all the activities SWE has planned for the day. The former president of SWE, who graduated this spring, will be speaking about her experiences in the College of Science and Engineering. Also speaking about her experiences in industry will be a professional female engineer. There will be a really neat science demonstration and a design project for students.

Throughout the day visiting students will be meeting current members of the Society of Women Engineers and learning more about opportunities in science and engineering. I think this day will be really fun--I'm most excited for the design project!

If you are interested in science and engineering, this will be a great opportunity for you to connect with other women who share your same interests and learn more about the U of M.  You can register for the event online, or call me for more information. I hope to meet you and your family on campus this Saturday!

Chris Hui, a current University of Minnesota student, was recently featured in the Star Tribune for his custom-design sneaker business. He started painting sneakers for fun as a teenager and has been refining his talent ever since. His creative designs have recently became very popular among professional athletes and famous hip-hop artists. Chris has even designed custom shoes for Lupe Fiasco and Lebron James. Check out the full article from the Star Tribune!

Golf is one of my favorite activities and has been since I was young. I played golf in high school and wanted to continue working on my game throughout college. However, those of you who play know that the game can be an expensive hobby. Shortly after coming to the University of Minnesota as a student, I quickly discovered that Les Bolstad Golf Course (the University's public golf course) offers great deals so students can hit more green for less green!

According to the University of Minnesota's Department of Recreational Sports, Les Bolstad Golf Course was established in 1929. The course is a 18-hole championship course located just next to the University's St. Paul campus. The course offers great rates for University students, staff and faculty.

I have played Les Bolstad countless times. After class or on the weekends, I would hit the links with some friends for some twilight golf. Les Bolstad's twilight rates are a great way a save some money as a student and still enjoy improving your game.

No matter if you are PGA professional and first-time golfer, the Unviersity of Minnesota's Recreational Sports School of Golf is a great new program to introduce you to the game. This program provides group and private lessons as well as competitive leagues.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home