University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Results tagged “Success Stories”

Thumbnail image for 31c5c0e.jpg
Erin Klimek, Business Marketing Education and Human Resource Development
Financial Recruiter | Coenen Bros

How did you learn about your current position?
At the Human Resource Development (HRD) recruiting fair held in STSS.

Describe your position.
I am a financial recruiter for Coenen Bros. My job is to recruit public accountants from the Big 4 accounting firms and place them in new positions within our client companies. Throughout the process I provide a wider professional network for my recruits, offer them career counseling and resume tips as well as create the opportunity for a more satisfying professional life.

What do you enjoy most about your position? What are some of the challenges?
I really enjoy that every day isn't the same. I get to talk to a handful of different people each day, go to coffee with recruits and get to know them, and talk to different clients and showcase the strengths of the recruits I am working with. The variety of things I get to do helps me to stay really interested in my job and look forward to each work day!

How does your position fit with your long term career goals?
Recruiting is an area of HRD that I explored in the course Professions and Practices of HRD (OLPD 3696) and really took an interest in. I have always wanted to work with people and be able to help them in some way, so recruiting helps me to tie my interest in the business world into my desire to help people and make a difference in their lives. I enjoy seeing people make positive advances in their careers to make for a better work-life balance overall, and I'm happy that I can be the one to help make that happen.

During your internship/job search, how did you make yourself stand out to employers?
I constantly updated my resume and sought out advice from other professionals in my network. I made sure to be outgoing at career events such as the HRD fair put on by CEHD Career Services because making yourself stand out from the crowd is sure to help in landing the perfect position!

What did you find to be the most helpful during your internship/job search process?
I found attending the HRD fair put on by CEHD Career Services to be the most helpfuI. An event catered to my field of study was the perfect way to find an internship within my interests and it offered a really good way to get my name and resume out to multiple employers at once.

Do you have any tips to share with other students about your experience?
Take your internship day by day and really focus on all the different things you are learning! Internships are the perfect way to really decide what you want to do later in life. I would suggest doing as many internships as you can and getting a feel for multiple types of jobs so you can make sure you are following the right career path.

Success Story | Jiayin (Julia) Qian, Family Social Science

Qian.jpg
Jiayin (Julia) Qian, Family Social Science
Internship | The Hoarding Project

I got the chance to learn about this position from my major advisor's (Jessie Rudi) information list. She usually forwards lots of useful emails about internship positions that are relevant to our major. After reading the email, I learned more about the position from the organization's website.

Describe your position.
My position is a hybrid internship working both with individuals, couples, and families in the community addressing a variety of needs and concerns related to hoarding disorder, as well as conducting research. The organization I am working for is called The Hoarding Project.

My passion is the interactions between couples and parents- children communication; it drives me to explore more about family therapy counseling work in community. This position is definitely a great chance for me to learn more about the clinical work, research and education to individuals who hoard and their communities, as well as to mental health and other professionals who work with hoarding, and the media. It provides me a chance to connect our textbook knowledge to the practical life.

I think the most important part is to be well prepared in both resume and interview. Before handed in my resume and cover letter to my employers, I have gone through all the materials with career service's advisor several times. It really helped me to show my strength in the paper work. In addition, I have looked through the online interview training from career service website. It helped me to build up confidence and be flexible with the answer I prepared.

Our CEHD Career Services is the most helpful resource that helped me to search and be prepared for the internship.

Show your confidence to employers during the interview. It is a good way to leave a positive impression to the employers. Also, don't forget to send a thank you letter for follow-up with employers after interview.

Lera.png

Valeria Sinelnikov
Business and Marketing Education

Why go to the job fair?

There are a couple of really good reasons, and in my opinion the main one is the face to face experience. Because candidates today can apply to practically any job online, employers will appreciate individuals who took the time to come in and meet them in person. Another great reason is the practice. At the job fair, you can practice your networking skills and work on overcoming the initial fear of approaching someone that you never met before in a professional setting. Also, introducing yourself and talking to company recruiters is a great way to repeat your elevator speech and work on your interview skills.

Who do you think should attend the fair?

Some people may think that the job fair is only meant for juniors and seniors. However, this is not true at all. My first time at the job fair was during my freshman year, and even though I was not looking for a job at that time I still learned a lot. For example, I got familiar with a large number of companies that I have never heard about before. Had I not gone to the fair, I would have limited my job search in the future only to the companies that I was familiar with. Therefore, it is wise to spend some time at the job fair learning about the business of different companies. You will be surprised how much you can find out about new opportunity that best match your needs.

What do you recommend doing before attending?

I think that a couple of things are critical before attending:

- Make sure that you look at the list of companies attending and choose the ones that you want to speak to their recruiters. Take some time to research them, so you can have something to talk about to their representatives. Remember that the few minutes that you spend with the recruiters can sometimes be critical.

- Print a couple of copies of your resume. Make sure that is it the most updated copy, and if needed visit the career services for advise!

- Practice your elevator speech, or at least make sure that you have an appropriate opening line to introduce yourself. Also, practice your handshake if you are uncomfortable about it.

- Relax, and set yourself reasonable expectations. You may not get a job offer on the spot, but you for sure will be one step ahead in your job search only by attending. Remember that the job fair is for creating the initial contact with employers and learning about new opportunities. As long as you come to the fair feeling comfortable and with an open mind, you will have fun.

- Bring a binder for the business cards and other materials that you will receive. You do not want to walk around with a pile of papers in your hand. Also, bring a pen so you can write on the back of the business cards some of the things that you talked about with the recruiters. The notes will be useful when thinking about how to begin a follow up email.

Finally, what to wear?

At the fair that I attended, I was impressed that students who wore a business attire rather than casual looking clothes appeared to make a better first impression. Since a job fair is a professional event, definitely go with the business look.

Success Story | Yifei (Duke) Lu, Human Resource Development

Thumbnail image for duke success story.jpgYifei (Duke) Lu, Human Resource Development
Internship Assistant | Minnesota Historical Society

Describe your position.
My position is Internship Assistant, and I am working for the Minnesota Historical Society.

The thing that I most enjoy is I am working for a great manager. My manager always gives me clear goals, work orders, and schedules. In fact, she helps me to focus on my job and give me less pressure in my work. On the other hand, I also think she can always teach me a lot of things. She is a steady and careful person. I am enjoying working for my manager.

I think what is most challenging is that I need to learn how the American workplace operates. This is my current challenge as an international student, but it is also a great chance to learn.

Networking. I believe the networking is always very important to every job candidate.

Being confident. I think this is the very important for a job interview. I think people need to get enough sleep before a job interview, because high quality sleep can help you save energy and this can help you look more confident during a job interview.

Researching the position is the best thing to make a job candidate stand out. They have to show that they know more details about the job and they have their faith to do a better job than other people. Also, if job candidates do research for their positions, it can prove that they really understand the duties of the position and that they are the right person for the position.

Create Your Own Resume and Cover Letter. Have copies of your resume and cover letter ready and bring them with you the first day you begin your job search. You never know who you will meet and who maybe able to help you. You may change the content and tailor your resume and cover letter to match the requirements of the job you're applying for, but, the contact information and your opening and closing paragraphs won't need to be changed.

Be Sharp in Your Professional Dress. First impressions last, and it always very important to be you!

Use Job Search Engines. GoldPass, LinkedIn, and Internship.com. They are always very useful.

IMG_3885.jpg
Answered By: Mykenna Yesnes (Right in picture) and Whitney Zahn (Left in picture)

What are your positions? What school is it for?
We are currently practicum students in Clara Barton Open School in Minneapolis.
How did you learn about this opportunity?
Three practicum blocks are required for the undergraduate Elementary Education program. Next year as seniors, we will finish the other two practicum blocks (reading and special education). For placements this semester, we ranked schools we preferred to work at. Mykenna knew the principal of Barton and really wanted to work in his school.
Describe your positions.
As an introductory practicum, we don't teach in front of the class yet, but rather act as a cooperating teacher when there is work time. Students see us as another instructor in the class and ask similar questions that they ask their teacher, Penny. Much of the introductory practicum is about observing the main instructor and getting a feel for classroom.
What do you most enjoy about your position? What are some of the challenges?
The kids are hands down the most enjoyable part of this position. Being able to help students find the answer to a difficult math problem or work through a paragraph they've been slaving away on is the most rewarding feeling...cliché, I know! But, it's so true! Often times, students forget my role as a teacher and treat me more as a friend. When I come in the morning and when I leave in the afternoon, many of my girls will race over to hug me, which is not how they would treat their teacher. It's difficult to maintain a professional role in the classroom while creating relationships with the students we have come to know over the past couple months.
How does your position fit with your long-term career goals?
Mykenna: This position directly reflects what I imagine myself doing down the road. I'm currently placed in a mixed 3rd and 4th grade classroom, which is my ideal grade to teach in the future. I absolutely love the school I'm placed in. Barton is one of the best elementary schools in Minneapolis and I'd be extremely lucky to work in a school of its caliber in the future.
Whitney: My experience at Clara Barton elementary school has been rewarding in a variety of ways. I have become more aware of the variety of schools I have the potential to teach in and the different goals each school has set for their students. Working in a combined third and fourth grade classroom was quite daunting at first but I have become accustomed to the classroom environment and could not imagine helping out anywhere else. In my future classroom, I hope to work with 3rd or 4th graders because of my experience at Clara Barton. I have gained a great deal of confidence from this semester in the classroom and I look forward to the experiences and challenges that lie ahead for me.
During your job search, how did you make yourself stand out to employers?
Fortunately, when being placed at a school site for each practicum, there isn't much competition between other undergraduate students. Generally speaking, students are able to work at their 1st or 2nd preferred school site. However, in the future when applying for jobs, it will be extremely beneficial having the amount of experience the University of Minnesota has provided their undergraduates. After graduating from the masters program, University of Minnesota students are somewhere between 5-7 times more qualified than others due to the rigorous and integrated program.
Bring a notepad to school and take notes! It is a great gift to be able to observe teachers who've been teaching for 20+ years and you'll want to document it. Ask for their advice and insight, as they're the best resource for your future. Create great relationships with your cooperating teachers, so you can revisit their classroom in the future or gain more knowledge from them!

Success Story: Austin Kennedy, Park and Leisure Studies

IMG_0137.JPGWhat was your position? What organization is it for?
Craft Immersion Internship Position, at the North House Folk School in Grand Marais, Minnesota.

How did you learn about this position?
I found out by word of mouth. I had previously been to the school and heard they were offering new internships opportunities.

Describe your position.
North House Folk School's Internship program is dedicated to preserving the future of traditional craft by nurturing an interest in craft education & hands-on learning. Interns increase their awareness of and exposure to various responsibilities involved with non-profit education and program management. Interns play an active role in the day-to-day campus coordination, public outreach, administrative support, and the developing of traditional craft skills.

I greatly enjoyed the connections I made with the students. As an intern I support and participate in the mission/vision of the North House Folk School: "enriching lives and building community by teaching traditional northern crafts in a student-centered learning environment that inspires the hands, the heart and the mind." The ideals of teamwork, dedication, responsibility, efficiency and creativity are central to the success of the organization.

The internship's work schedule and time commitments are divided among various roles, each of which is directly connected to the daily affairs and educational vision of campus. It is a long dedicated commitment but the reward of doing such wonderful work in unhindered by its challenges.

I plan to continue down the road of Outdoor Education, and this hands-on experience gave me the skills that will prepare me for the work in my field. I believe in the connection of nature and preservation, whether it's crafts, skills, relationships, or the natural world.

I took great strides to ensure that my personality resonated through my entire resume and cover letter. I dutifully went through the job description and the history of the organization to entice my interviewers to understand my passion and desire for the intern position.

Do your homework, prepare for interview questions based on the job descriptions. Rework your resume with help from Career Services, use the tools and resources you have available to you while at University. Above all, be yourself, show your personality and be confident.

Success Story: Nathan Jobe, Sport Management

Community Relations at Minnesota Twins 1235949_10200739466590399_341337848_n.jpg

How did you learn about this position?
Each year, the Minnesota Twins provides a career fair for individuals who aspire to have a career in the sports industry. During my senior year, I attended the career fair in the fall of 2012 to learn more about current positions with the Minnesota Twins. I also reach out to my teachers from the Sport Management program, which they informed me the Twins were hiring.
Describe your position.
I help assist with the management and execution of core programs within the Twins Community Fund (TCF), a 501c3 nonprofit organization that benefits children and their families in the surrounding Twin-Cities. To be more specific, coordinate community and cause-related events that align the Minnesota Twins' focus areas, such as health, education, ballpark renovations, and player appearances to create awareness and involvement of the TCF.
If you have ever celebrated your birthday/anniversary at a Twins game, I manage the scoreboard message requests and ensure they are displayed correctly and promptly. Also, I assist with game-day duties, including military recognitions, check presentations, and national anthem performances.
Working for the Twins in the Community Relations department; it's such a rewarding job each day. From sending an in-kind donation to a charity, displaying a scoreboard message to inviting kids to Target Field to meet the players, it never gets old. Choosing to have a profession in sports, plan on working long hours. There are days where you work 12 hour days if not longer.
Landing this position right out of college, I'm motivated to become a better professional and leader within the sports industry.
While filling out the application, I used key words from the job description and placed them in my resume and cover letter. I also reached out to individuals - professors, faculty, coaches, peers - who have current relationships with the Twins Staff.

What are you doing today to further your career?
Do not wait until you are a senior in undergrad to start your professional development. During your undergrad, set up informational interviews, research organizations, type your resume, practice interview questions-all very helpful. You have plenty of resources and faculty that want to help you grow professionally at the University of Minnesota - use them!

Success Story: Hayley Freeman, Human Resource Development

Human Resource Development Intern at Coenen Bros.

How did you learn about this position?Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 1.03.38 PM.png
I attended the Human Resource Development recruitment event that took place October 2012. I made an effort to meet with the Coenen Bros. partners at the recruitment event.
Describe your position.
I worked with pro-active people with public accounting backgrounds to explore other great options within Finance and Accounting. Most of the people the company represents are not actively pursuing a new position, but are open to hearing about great roles in industry. Coenen Bros. specializes in working with Top Talented professionals from the larger public accounting firms, Deloitte, PWC, EY, KPMG, McGladrey, Grant and Larson Allen. Coenen Bros. find jobs within Tax, Tax Managers, Audit, Audit Directors, IT Audit, SEC reporting, SEC reporting Directors, Financial analysis, Finance Directors, staff, senior, mgr, senior mgr and director levels for mid to large sized companies interested in people with public accounting backgrounds.
I really love recruiting! Coenen Bros. helps people find that work-life balance and enriches their lives by assisting them in the search for that perfect opportunity in their professional career. I love working with people and this is a different way of interacting. I am excited for this experience! It is challenging getting the hang of talking on my feet and asking continuous questions. I often get anxious to talk to someone on the phone, but I know my nerves will only last so long- I need to experience all types of situations to feel more comfortable. I like feeling prepared before I go into situations!
This position falls under the realm of Human Resource Development, which is my major. Recruiting is one industry in the HRD field that I find very intriguing. I am grateful I had an experience like this so young in my career.
I try to be as honest as possible. I wanted employers to know that I even though I am young, I am looking for new opportunities to help expand my professional outlook. I am always up front and I know how to sell my brand. I have great emotional intelligence and I use that angle to help my employers get to know me in a different way.
I had the help of family and friends that have had similar experience in this field. I also had their support which is always a plus! I came prepared this gave me confidence to success in interviews and my internship search. It was also very helpful that the U of M set up a HRD recruitment event!
I would advise other to not pass up opportunities that are presented to you just because you think you do not fulfill the job prerequisites. Everyone has to start somewhere, and building your resume starts with experience! Do as much as you can while you're in college, it will benefit you in the long run. You do not want to look back and think 'oh I wish I would have done that'! I went to the recruitment fair kind of on a last minute whim. I saw it in an email and thought "hey maybe I find something, maybe I don't". Always try and go into those kinds of things with an open mind and don't be afraid to put yourself out there! You will be glad you did.

Marketing Intern at North American Sports Group

IMG_0113.JPG

How did you learn about this position?

I learned about this summer internship opportunity when two representatives from North American Sports Group came to my Teaching Marketing Promotion class. I learned about and then went to a walk-in interview they were hosting that same day. After the initial in person interview, I had an interview over the phone and a final interview via Skype.

Describe your position.

The other marketing interns and I were in charge of managing of all social media platforms for the company's various sports entities. This included running the company's Twitter, Facebook, Blog, Instagram, and Pinterest efforts. I got the chance to create Google Ads and monitor the analytics. At the events, I took photos and videos then edited and posted to them social media platforms. I also conducted surveys, tabulated the results which were then used in a variety of ways.

I greatly enjoyed getting the chance to help run the Kick It 3v3 soccer tournaments. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to improve my customer services skills. It was challenging, yet thrilling, to move to a different part of the country for the summer.

Long term I want to focus on marketing, product development, management as well as communications. I aim to become a multi-faceted marketing professional; North American Sports Group helped me gain experience and confidence in communications, marketing, branding, sales, public relations and project management.

After I was hired, my employer mentioned that I was one of the few students who had demonstrated great positivity and enthusiasm throughout the interviews. My advice to other students is to show the employer that you are interested and have a desire to be in the position they are offering. Let the employer know why and how you could be an asset to their organization.

GoldPASS is a great resource for students to utilize. GoldPASS is the U's online database to help connect students and alumni with employers, volunteer organizations, and internships across the country. My employer contacted GoldPASS to set up walk-in interviews. After the brief interview, I went on GoldPASS to learn more about the company and finish my application process.

Make the most out of every interview, internship and job experience you get. Sometimes it takes learning what you do not want to do career wise in order to find what truly interests you.

Success Story | Reid Anderson, Art ILP

Name: Reid Anderson977012_4659257211429_1920464999_o.jpg
U of M program: Art Education
When did you graduate? Summer 2013
Employer: Eagle Ridge Academy (Eden Prairie, MN)
Position: Full-time K-6 Art Teacher

1. How did you learn about your current position?
I learned about the job before it was posted through a contact that I had within the school, and once I saw the official posting on EdPost and on the school's website, I applied.

2. Describe the application and interview process.
I started frequently checking EdPost, K12JobSpot and district websites in March, but I got serious about applications in May when I was done with student teaching and had all of my letters of recommendation in hand. I attended the career fair at the convention center in April, and while that did not directly lead to any job opportunities, it gave me the motivation that I needed to finish my portfolio and gave me valuable experience interviewing and giving my "elevator speech" to district representatives. This experience was helpful, because I was able to anticipate the types of questions that interview committees would be asking and I also tweaked my portfolio after the job fair.

3. How did you make yourself stand out during the job search?
If you are looking for your first teaching job, it can be hard to stand out because employers are looking for "experience". Beyond my student teaching experiences, I highlighted teaching-related jobs and volunteer experiences in my resume. The hiring committee noted an interest in my experiences as an undergrad with the Children's Theatre Company and performing in puppet shows for kids at the Minnesota Zoo. I made my experiences relevant to teaching and showed an ability to be versatile, which they liked. Beyond that, I think that the U of M 5-year path that I took helped me stand out. As an undergrad I majored in art and was in DirecTrack to Teaching, and in my 5th year, I was enrolled in M.Ed. coursework.

4. Looking back, what did you find to be the most helpful during job search process?
I talked with a lot of current teachers. They helped me to understand the general hiring timeline of school districts and also gave me some ideas of what to highlight in my portfolio and in the interview. When I got the interview for this job, I researched the school's website, Facebook account, teacher websites, and principal blogs. I also consulted a job search handbook that I received at a career services event, which had a lot of sample interview questions. Because of my thorough (at times crazy) research and preparation, I felt confident during the interview and was able to anticipate some of the questions that they asked me. Preparation is huge.

5. Did you utilize career services (on-campus interviews, career events, appointment(s), online resources)? If so, what was your experience like?
I frequently consulted the career services website when constructing my resume and writing cover letters and thank you emails to interviewers. I also had career services review my resume with me, which was a huge help.

6. What advice would you like to share with others about your experience finding a position?
Be confident in your education, your abilities, and your experiences. For every position there will be a lot of great applicants, but YOU are one of them...don't forget that. Think about the things that make you unique, appear versatile and willing, and be persistent. The only jobs that I heard back from were the ones where I emailed principals and stayed in communication with the district. Of course, there is a fine line between being annoying and persistant, but a follow-up email/phone call 5-7 business days after applying is usually acceptable.

Also, if there is a school or district that you really want to work for, keep your eyes on their website, and if at all possible, make an inside connection. Some postings never make it to EdPost, and staff within the district always know about job openings before they hit the general public.

said.jpg

Said Ali, Business and Marketing Education, Human Resource Development and Leadership Minor
Executive Team Leader | Target

I learned about my current position by going to the employer recruitment event that came to STSS which was on campus. I knew that Target was going to be there and I have been preparing for Target for a long while so I knew that this was my chance to get to know more about them and see if they had any positions open. They had a Position open which is Executive Team Leader. So I applied for the position and did a round of 5 interviews and got the job.

Describe your position.
I will be working at Target as the Executive Team Leader. This position is kind of assistant manager and manager at the same time. I will act as the manager in different roles and will be the assistant managers at other roles as well. I will be out in the store helping out customers, working in a team with team members, and doing different task at a daily level.

I really like the idea that I will come every day doing something new and challenging at the same time. Coming to work and knowing that you will be doing the same thing over and over again can get boring at times but at the current position I will be doing something new daily which is something I enjoy. There are many challenges some of them are making decisions on the spot, trying to get the best quality to meet guests exceptions, and making sure everything is going fine at work with team members.

It does fit with aspects of HRD. Recruiting is one industry in the HRD field and it is a different and intriguing in my opinion. I am grateful I can have an experience like this so young in my career.

I try and be as honest as possible. I want them to know that I am still inexperienced and I am looking for new opportunities to help expand my professional outlook. I am always up front and I know how to sell my human capital. I have great emotional intelligence and I use that angle to help my employers get to know me in a different way.

I had the help of family and friends that have had similar experience in this field. I also had their support which is always a plus! I also was prepared because I have gone on interviews in the past and using my past experiences always helps me be better prepared. It was also very helpful that the U of M set up a HRD recruitment event in which great organizations attended!

I would give this advice: don't pass up opportunities that are presented to you just because you think you don't have the experience or job prerequisites. Everyone has to start somewhere, and building your resume starts with experience! Do as much as you can while you're in college, it will benefit you in the long run. You don't want to look back and think 'oh I wish I would have done that'! I went to the recruitment fair kind of on a last minute whim. I saw it in an email and thought "hey maybe I find something, maybe I don't". Always try and go into those kinds of things with an open mind and don't be afraid to put yourself out there! You will be glad you did.

Success Story | David Davoudlarian, School Counselor

Name: David Davoudlarian DaveD.jpg
Licensure program: School Counseling
Completed ILP: 2009
Employer: North Slope Borough School District, Alaska
Position: School Counselor

I went to the (MN) Education Job Fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center and learned about jobs in Alaska. I filled out the application, which is universal on the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) website. The position I was offered was originally offered to another person who decided at the last minute they did not want to go so far north. So the Principal started looking at profiles and liked what she saw in me and contacted me.

Alaska has a universal application site to help educators find jobs in Alaska. Many interviews are held at job fairs around the country. When they cannot meet the applicant in person, interviews either happen via Skype or an old fashioned phone interview. My interview was over the phone and was relatively short. The process usually involves multiple people, mine was with only my Principal, but that is by no means common. Also most if not all educators in Alaska have to work in the Alaska "Bush", basically not on the road system. Road system jobs are very hard to come by even for experienced educators. I work in a fly in only village of 250 people.

I sold myself. I am my own biggest advocate and I made sure that my personality, while large, was not overwhelming but at the same time I was sincere about who I am. Follow up on your job search. If you have placed an application with a school through ATP, make sure you call the school and introduce yourself. Speak clearly and enunciate your words. Phones in Alaska are not always reliable and there might be as much as a 5 second delay.

Don't get frustrated. I placed approximately 50 applications around Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming and Alaska and only had 4 interviews. The local (MN) Education Job Fair was great.

Career services set me up for the (MN) Education Job Fair and was very instrumental in directing me to the different locations who were looking for a School Counselor.

6. What advice would you like to share with others about your experience?
Don't give up. I almost did, I won't lie. Also keep your mind open to other places. I did and now I live in an awesome 100% Alaska Native (Inupiat) village that has opened my eyes and broadened my my mind. Yes, it gets bitterly cold (-80 with wind last year), yes you have culture shock, yes you might be away from your family like me (they are about 1000 miles away), you might have to fly in a single engine, 9 seater plane (watch Flying Wild Alaska, they fly me). But you do it anyway for the kids. I have 71 students from K though 12 and I know each of their names and I know their parents. I am Counselor Dave to them. They have embraced me and shared their culture with me.

Success Story | Alexandra Vujovich, English ILP

Name: Alexandra (Ali) Vujovich Ali Graduating (1).jpg
Licensure program: English Education
Completed ILP: Spring 2012
Employer: Minneapolis Public Schools - Southwest High School
Position: Ninth Grade English teacher

I did my student teaching in the Minneapolis district, which was great because that was the district I ultimately wanted to work in. My cooperating teacher and a few of my teachers and supervisors from the University were really great about helping me navigate the system and talk to the right people to line me up with this job.

I won't lie; the application process was something I kept putting off. My cooperating teacher kept telling me to start the MPLS application but on top of student teaching four classes (2 preps) each day, I was exhausted. It was really something I had to make myself do. The interview process was an interesting one. I was labeled as an excessed teacher. So my interviews were called "matching" interviews to find the best spot for me in the district. I had half hour interviews lined up all day, but I only made it through two before Southwest offered me the job. Going into the interviews I was pretty terrified, but the questions are things that this program prepares you for really well. One HUGE piece of advice, don't let your first interview be with the school you want to work with. My first ever teaching interview was that morning and I was so nervous that I could barely think of reading strategies to provide. Let yourself practice a few first. I had a friend who went to the job fair and she was much more ready to interview than I was.

I really tried to put my all into student teaching because I was student teaching in the district I wanted to work in. My unit plan that I wrote for the program was 79 pages long (and everyone from my cohort makes fun of me, but it really was worth it)! For the first part of spring semester while we were still in classes I was going to my site three times a week (on top of taking twenty credits) and the requirement was to go once a week. I started teaching on my own fourth quarter, but third quarter I think was really what made it for me. I was always there collaborating with my cooperating teacher and asking to plan lessons and observing other teachers. I really wanted to be known in my building and I think all this work paid off. When it comes down to it, you can work and work and work, but a huge part of it is about the people you know. I put in all this work and my cooperating teacher saw just how serious I was about this. Developing a really deep, authentic, and lasting relationship with my cooperating teacher was probably the most important thing I did because then she really helped get me in the right places to meet the principal, vice principal, and people in the district and that was got me labeled as excessed and able to land this awesome job at Southwest!

4. Looking back, what did you find to be the most helpful during job search process? Quite honestly, I didn't fully invest in the job search process--not nearly as much as some of my fellow cohort members. I knew that I wanted to work in Minneapolis for the public schools and I was sort of resigned to long term sub for the year (I had something lined up in the school I was student teaching at) to get into the district and then next year I could apply and interview earlier. I won't say that my parents were too thrilled about that option, but I knew where I wanted to go and what I needed to do when I got there. I think the most helpful thing during my brief job search process was, again, my cooperating teacher. She was telling me what I should bring into the interview (things that would normally make up a portfolio), what I should make sure I clearly articulated, and things that I should ask after the interview was done. Clearly, I owe a HUGE thank you to her because not only did she help me prepare for the interview but she really helped line me up to interview in the first place.

6. What advice would you like to share with others?
Meet lots and lots of people. Work hard at what you do in the classroom so that when you meet these important people you have something to talk about. Talk to your principal at your site. Ask your cooperating teacher lots and lots of questions (even if you're not necessarily meshing with them). I don't think I'd be working as a first year teacher in Minneapolis if I didn't try to meet and talk to as many people in the district as I could have. Most importantly, have fun. I know finding a job is really terrifying, but if you genuinely love what you do when you're in the classroom, some principal or assistant principal or teacher who is interviewing you is going to see that in how you talk about your experiences and they're going to want to bring that spark into their school.

Success Story | Asja Karic, Family Social Science

karic,asja.JPG

Asja Karic, Family Social Science
Advocate | Lewis House Domestic Violence Shelter

I learned about my current position through the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits website. I saw a position I was interested in and sent in my resume. I received a call a week later saying that the position was already filled and asking if I would be interested in interviewing for a part-time Advocate position that has not even been posted yet. I agreed, as I really wanted to be a part of this organization. A few weeks into my work as a part-time Advocate, my supervisor called me saying I have been doing an excellent job and offered me a full time position. I accepted!

Describe your current position.
I am currently an Advocate for Lewis House domestic violence shelter. I provide direct care, advocacy and crisis intervention to families experiencing domestic violence or sexual assault. A big part of my position is to ensure that the women and children at Lewis House receive all the resources and assistance they need in order to be self-sufficient and stay out of abusive relationships when they leave the shelter. I also provide crisis counseling in person and over the phone and facilitate a support group for women who have experienced domestic violence.

Every day when I drive home from work I feel accomplished and I know that I made even a small impact in ending the cycle of violence that so many women are stuck in. The most satisfying part of my work is interacting one-on-one with families and serving as a support for women who don't have that elsewhere.

The most challenging part of my position is turning someone down for shelter. We have been packed over the limit almost every day since I have started. When we're full, we have to refer people to other shelters and sometimes homeless shelters that don't have the resources to support a woman experiencing domestic violence. It is certainly difficult to come to terms with the idea that I can't help everyone.

I was told by a career adviser from CEHD Career Services that having a portfolio of my past work relevant to the position would be a great asset. I really believe that this set me apart from many applicants. Even if I didn't get a position, interviewers were impressed and enjoyed looking through the portfolio during the interview. In the interview for my current position, the person interviewing me actually asked to have a copy of some of my work in the portfolio to show other staff!

What did you find to be the most helpful during your job search process?
I really took advantage of Career Services at the U of M. As soon as I graduated, I made an appointment and improved my resume with a lot of help. I also gathered all of the information on interview questions and practiced my answers many times.

I joined LinkedIn and that opened many doors and connections. Throughout my job search, it was extremely helpful that I had built good relationships with my volunteer and internship supervisors in order to get great letters of recommendation of my work.

Success Story | Ryan Mintz, Science ILP

Name: Ryan Mintz Ryan Mintz.jpg
Licensure program: Science (Physics)
Completed ILP: May 2012
Employer: Internationella Engelska Skolan i Uppsala
Position: Middle School Science Teacher

1. What interested in you teaching abroad?
I had always wanted to travel abroad, but different circumstances during college prevented me from participating. It had always been in the back of my mind to experience life somewhere besides the United States. Sweden just happened to be the first place to come calling, so I jumped on it.

2. How did you learn about your current position?
The career services office had set up an interview day with Internationella Engelska Skolan (IES) and the head of the Science Education Program (shout-out to Barb) sent an email to our cohort. I figured it would be a good practice interview, so I sent my resume along.

3. Describe the application and interview process.
After sending my resume and a cover letter through GoldPASS in October, IES scheduled an interview time for me when they would be on campus at the end of January. During that interview, I met with the head of academics for the whole company, and we talked for a bit. To me, it seemed pretty informal, with a few interview questions, but mostly just information about the company/schools, and the kind of people they were looking to hire. At the end of that interview, I was told to fill out the application online, which I did, and then I was put in touch with principals of two different schools. After a few very early morning Skype sessions (thanks to the 7 hour time difference), which were more formal interviews than the first in person meeting, I was offered a position as a teacher.

4. How did you make yourself stand out during the job search?
You have to play up your extra curricular activities. Join a club. Get involved. I am fully convinced that my experience as a member and president of the U of M Rugby Club is what landed me the job. Whenever I hand somebody my resume, that is the first thing they ask about. You think your degree and teaching experience make you stand out? Guess what. EVERYBODY else applying for that same job has a degree and teaching experience. Find something that sets you apart, and ride that as far as it can take you.

5. Looking back, what did you find to be the most helpful during job search process?
The most helpful thing for me was talking to the people around me. My cooperating teacher and fellow student teachers were a great support in organizing and composing myself for interviews. The people in class around you are a great resource. They want to be teachers because they like to help people. Let them help you.

6. Did you utilize career services (on-campus interviews, career events, appointment(s), online resources)?
Career services set up the initial in person interview, which was great. Nothing is better than meeting in person, and if it had been an entirely online process, I probably never would have followed through. The way that career services made the application and interview process was smooth and easy to use.

7. What advice would you like to share with others about your experience finding a teaching position?
Don't be afraid of failing. Throw your resume everywhere. I was applying for what I thought was a practice interview, for a job that I would never get, and it turned into the beginning of my career.

Success Story | Megan Braun, Physical Education ILP

Name: Megan Braun Thumbnail image for Megan - Success Story.jpg
Licensure program: Physical Education
Completed the ILP program: August 2012
Employer: Minneapolis Public Schools
Position: SPAN/SPEN Physical Education and Health Teacher

My former professor in the Physical Education and DAPE ILP program and fellow teacher in the Minneapolis Public Schools, Kathleen Healy, informed me of the position and provided me with a name to contact if I was interested in potentially getting an interview.

My job search and application process began in the winter when I was still completing my program. I used websites recommended by the University (EdPost, K12jobspot...), and searched and applied, and searched and applied. I also attended the Minnesota Education Fair where I had one interview. I continued the application process throughout the spring, and aside from a few leads here and there began to get a bit discouraged and by summertime decided I would subsitute teach in the 2012-2013 school year. Toward the end of August, job postings in the Minneapolis-St.Paul and surrounding area picked up. I ended up having three interviews in one week for various Physical Education and Health teaching positions - including the interview for my current job. From the five total interviews that I had for a teaching position throughout the year, I can summarize and say they were all extremely different. It is important to go in relaxed and confident, use examples from your student-teaching experiences, and put in a little bit of research for the district you are interviewing for. Be aware that the application, interview, and job search process can be frustrating, time consuming, and discouraging at times, but do not give up - many teachers, like myself, get hired the week before the start of the school year! Use your connections, use your education, and have a back up plan; opportunities come when you least expect them, and sometimes all at once.

There are a few ways to help you land an interview: First, a solid resume with lots of extra-curriculuar experiences, for example, volunteering. My personal experiences included my experiences as a student-athlete in college, and also as a current high school coach. I used the experiences to diffierientiate myself from others, and essentially to help myself "stand-out". Second, forming good relationships with colleagues, coaches, peers, and professors helps you network and gain connections in the field - this is huge and an extremely important tool. Form good relationships with the people in the districts where you student-teach as well as your professors at Minnesota; all will help support you and hopefully help you get your foot in the door for an interview. Third, apply for everything. I applied and was willing to take a position that wasn't necessarily my "dream job", and it has been one of, if not the best, experiences and learning opportunities of my life. Lastly, having a Master's Degree from the Univeristy of Minnesota already helps you stand out within the state and elsewhere as it is a nationally-accredited institution for it's teaching prepartion programs.

Not stressing out, having back-ups plans, and taking opportunities as they arose. Utilizing my resources as well both at my student-teaching locations and here at the U was also helpful; this includes the networking, mock-interviews, and conversations we participated in throughout the ILP program.

5. What advice would you like to share with others about your experience finding a teaching position?
Apply for everything, use your resources, connections and education, and be patient. Opportunities arise when you least expect them, and many times come all at once.

Success Story | Jodi Schmitz, Physical Education ILP

Name: Jodi Schmitz 012.jpg
Licensure program: Physical Education/DAPE
Completed the ILP program: June, 2012
Employer: Internationella Engelska Skolan Eskilstuna, Sweden
Position: 7-9th Grade Physical Education teacher, 7A Mentor

Last October my supervisor sent out the information to my cohort that he had received from CEHD (Career Services) who had received it from IES. I didn't even think about interviewing at first, but when the time got closer to the interviews I went for it and signed up.

After deciding I wanted to interview, I just emailed the correspondent my interest along with my cover letter and resume. I later received an email asking me to sign up for an interview time slot. It was a very easy process. In January, I then met with two recruiters from IES at the Science Teaching and Student Services Building (CEHD Career Services Interview Center). We talked for about 15 minutes and then I was put into their computer system. The recruiters told me that they were heading back to Sweden the next day and were then going to speak with their principals about everyone they interviewed. I interviewed on a Friday and received a job offer on Monday morning.

My supervisor prepared my cohort very well for interviews throughout the year. My cooperating teachers were also very helpful in looking at my cover letter and resume and giving me practice questions. This made me feel more relaxed and comfortable going into the interview. I also showed a lot of enthusiasm for the job and was honest about the fact that I am a first year teacher and I am still learning every day. I believe they were really pleased and excited that I was willing to move to another country that I've never been to before and start a job I haven't officially ever done before. Lastly, teaching here now I have noticed that being a female physical education teacher is an idea that is not very common in Sweden. I think that gave me an edge as well.

Receiving information and the preparation from CEHD, my supervisor, and GoldPASS was extremely helpful. With these resources, the research and searching is already done for you. I think what was most helpful was everything we did in my seminar class with my cohort and supervisor. We really worked on preparing ourselves for interviews, we received advice from current teachers and administration in schools, and we learned how to navigate through employment websites.

5. Did you utilize career services? If so, what was your experience like?
Yes, I utilized many of the career services. I first learned about my current position through career services and interviewed on-campus through that outlet as well. Informational meetings, career events, and the job fairs were all very beneficial in learning how to apply to employment websites and how to stand out during interviews. Everything is very helpful and is right on campus to make things even easier for you. I really appreciated everything they do for you to help you get a job.

6. What advice would you like to share with others about your experience finding a teaching position?
Definitely use all of the resources that are out there for you. They are all very beneficial and each one gives you more advice, tips, knowledge, and experiences with the job search process and interviews. Keep any open mind and apply for anything and everything; nonetheless, you will get interview and resume writing experience. Don't be afraid to apply for overseas positions. It is a great learning experience and a great way to start your teaching career. Lastly, don't get discouraged!

Jenny Marshall, Math & Science Education ILP, shares her success

Name: Jenny Marshall Marshall.Jennifer-1.jpg
Licensure program: Math and Science
Completed the ILP program: June 2012
Employer: Internationella Engelska Skolan
Position: 6th grade science and 7th grade math

Job Search

What interested in you teaching abroad? How did you learn about your current position?
Previously, I interned and studied abroad in New Zealand and Finland. I really enjoyed these experiences because I got to interact with people from different cultures, and learn about the education systems of other countries. So, when the opportunity arose to teach abroad, I was quite interested because it was another chance for me to experience something different and learn new things.

I first learned about this school from an e-mail that was forwarded to me by my professor. The e-mail informed me that the school was conducting on-campus interviews.

Describe the application and interview process.
In order to apply for the position, I submitted a résumé and cover letter via GoldPass. The first round of interviews took place at the U of M with the Head of Academics for the schools. This person brought my information back to his principals in Sweden. After several weeks, I heard back from one of the principals who had a math and science opening at her school. I had a second interview with her over the phone. This interview seemed to be more informal, and the principal spent quite a bit of time telling me about her school and surrounding town. After the interview, the principal sent me contact information for several teachers at her school. I was encouraged to ask these individuals any questions I had about teaching abroad and working at the school.

How did you make yourself stand out during the job search?
In my résumé and cover letter, I tried to highlight past experiences I have had living abroad. The year-long study program I did in Finland seemed especially relevant because Finland is a Nordic country like Sweden.

Looking back, what did you find to be the most helpful during job search process?
I am very appreciative that the initial interviews for this position were on-campus. It was nice to be able to meet some people from the school in person so I could get a better sense of the culture of the school. Furthermore, after the interviews, the school held an information session so applicants could learn more about the school and ask questions.

Did you utilize career services? If so, what was your experience like?

I used career services on several occasions during my job search process. Initially, I asked Sarah to read my résumé and cover letter, and offer suggestions on how to improve it. At this time, I also asked her several questions about interviewing and teaching abroad. I found this initial meeting to be very helpful because I learned what to expect from the job search process. Career services was also responsible for setting up the on-campus interviews and information session. I would likely not have applied for this position if the interviews had not been on-campus, so I am thankful that career services arranged for the school to come.

What advice would you like to share with others about your experience finding a teaching position?
I think any experience aspiring teachers can get with kids prior to the job search process is invaluable. I found that my experiences prior to entering the field not only helped me when I was teaching, but it also gave me a better idea of what type of setting I ultimately wanted to be teaching in. Furthermore, I was able to reflect on these experiences when applying for jobs so I could give specific examples when answering questions posed during the interview.

Success Story | Chris Xiong, Kinesiology

252700_10150194341962896_571527895_7259100_3355180_n.jpg

Chris Xiong, Kinesiology
Health Fitness Professional | Health Fitness

I was looking for supervised practical experience credits and was not sure where to begin. My advisor pointed me in the direction of the U of M's GoldPASS website and informed me that it is a great website to find internships and career opportunities. After exploring GoldPASS, I found an internship opportunity with a company called Health Fitness and I am now about to begin a career in corporate fitness with them.

Describe your position.
Currently I am working for a company called Health Fitness as a Health Fitness Professional. A few of my duties include personal training, designing and teaching group fitness classes, conducting fitness assessments, and developing programs to improve the wellness of fitness center participants. This is all done for employees of a multinational Fortune 500 company.

What I enjoy the most about my job is how different each day is from the previous one. I get to be creative designing classes for members, I meet new people every day, and I get to be a part of positive change in people's lives. I also would like to mention that I get paid to exercise!

I enjoy the variety of projects that I'm assigned within my role. The internship provides me with flexibility and gives me creative license to develop within my position. We also have a very collaborative team that has a wealth of knowledge in different areas.

A good challenge within my position is the opportunity that I have to sell our leadership program to MBA institutions. I possess some level of expertise in sales through my course work in my second major-Business and Marketing Education, but its time to apply all of the concepts and take it out of the classroom. It's an exciting challenge because I'm using a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for this project, which is a great learning opportunity.

I found that having other people, including career counselors look at my resume was very helpful. They pointed out mistakes that I would not have caught myself and helped tailor my resume for its intended audience.

First of all, I would like to mention that I would not be in my current position without first taking on an internship. My internship gave me the skills and flexibility I needed to grow as a professional. At the same time, I came every day ready to go above and beyond what was necessary in order to stand out. I took notes when new information was presented to me, I volunteered to take on extra tasks, and I was willing to learn from anyone at any time.

Anything else you woud like to share?
Apply for more than one internship/job opportunity because chances are you are not going to get your first choice. There are a lot of great internships/jobs out there and you may accidentally stumble upon something you love by chance. When you find that something, give it your all because you will get in return what you give.

Pa Lee.jpg
Pa Lee
Business and Marketing Education & Human Resource Development, Human Resources and Industrial Relations Minor
Coordinator of Community-Based Learning | Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence, University of Minnesota

I interned as the Assistant Coordinator in Spring 2011 and I was offered the interim-coordinator position after I graduated. While being the interim, I was notified when the permanent position opened and was encouraged to apply.

Describe your position.
I am the Coordinator of Community-Based Learning in the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence at the University of Minnesota. I coordinate the Multicultural Family Literacy Program, where I hire university students to become literacy mentors to tutor and mentor K-8 students with literacy and homework tutoring in the Minneapolis and St. Paul community. I provide trainings and have reflective meetings with tutors about the impact of their work in the community.

I enjoy working with students and sharing my college experiences with them. I share resources and opportunities with students, encourage them to get involve on and off campus, to take leadership opportunities, and to study abroad. I also enjoy work collaborations with colleagues and working in an intellectual team.

Time management is a challenge working at a large university with so many students to meet, committee projects to complete, and taking care of myself.

This position fits well with my long term career goal of working in a higher education institution. It is the beginning of my long term career goal in working with students and intellectual teams across campus.

I worked closely with the CEHD Career Services and my professional mentors to help detailed and perfect my resume and cover letter. I did a lot of research online about job search strategies and possible interview questions. On interview days, I dress appropriately and bring a portfolio of past work I have done. Also, I provide information on what I have learned with my double major and how I can apply those to the position I am applying for.

Networking and informing my professional mentors that I am job searching: they were able to keep an eye for positions and forward them onto me. I also visit the career service center and stay connected to a career counselor for mock interviews and making a decision between going to graduate school or taking a couple of years off to work.

Get involve early in college with organizations/employers that you are interested in working for; volunteer or intern with them. Attend job fairs and networking events to see who are the employers out the in workforce.

Anything else you woud like to share?
"Stay positive and proactive while job searching. Also, stay in contact with motivating mentors and friends who will support and encourage you to not give up. Visit career services often and early and get to know the career counselors like Angie Soderberg and Jeannie Stumne; they will provide you with strategies throughout your job searching process.
"

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.