Eugenics

As discussed in Chapter 9: Intelligence and IQ Testing, the concept of eugenics, "good genes" were encouraged to reproduce preventing those with "bad genes" from reproducing or both. After reading the section of the textbook, I scratched my head in bewilderment. I couldn't believe that this was actually a concept in the early 1900's. The idea that those with low IQs were sterilized (and involuntarily) was disgusting. It amazed me to think that through all the years, psychology has evolved, and of course, has had its MAJOR flaws. So, as I was looking for more information on eugenics, the first website that I came across left me in even more confusion. The first website I click is "Future Generations." The first thing I read goes a little like this:

"Future Generations is about humanitarian eugenics. Humanitarian eugenics strives to leave a genuine legacy of love to future generations: good health, high intelligence,
and noble character. We advocate measures to improve the innate quality of humankind which are entirely voluntary. Please be forewarned that most ideas expressed on this website are 'politically incorrect.' We aspire to total honesty, believing that it is the only policy for people with integrity and furthermore, that in the long run, honesty is far-and-away the most compassionate policy."

If you visit the website, it lists a variety of articles that you can read supporting the ideas of "humanitarian eugenics." I think the most interesting thing about this article and opening it up at random is the fact that this is even a concept that is still considered. Now, I don't feel I know enough to say whether or not I completely disagree or agree, as I find it completely confusing. I was under the impression eugenics was no longer a discussed topic. I assumed that in order to help those with low IQs or live in a low income environment or have low health could be helped as best as possible with other forms of help in the psychological world or elsewhere.

The new things that you find everyday....

http://www.eugenics.net/