The Scam of America Test (SAT)

Ah, the good ol' SAT. I certainly remember waking up the day of the tests and preparing five minutes before hand by eating a granola bar; perhaps, the only preparing that I encountered on my journey to. "ACT and SAT each have their own parts of the country. The GRE has its lock on graduate admissions. And so, one could blame the companies, but really, economically, they have no incentive to change things very much because they're getting the business" (Sternberg).

I'm sure by now, most of us are sentient of a standardized test entitled SAT, which for starters is short for absolutely... nothing. Sure, as if this weren't a brilliant enough, it also cost quite a lucrative fee just to put pencil to paper. Of course, the initial lump sum of cash pronged over doesn't include the endless amount of preparation books, SAT courses, and numerous other addictive additive strategies that your fellow classmates are taking hoping to improve their scores by a zillion points. As well as I did on the current SAT, I sincerely hope to never take anything as monotonous and mind numbing again in my life. In fact, if there ever were a vote for a standardized testing system, I would feel more inclined to vote for this affair than the presidential election of the United States. At least by voting against standardized test, I would possibly prevent the corrupted-egotistical-money hoarding companies from relying on the Wall Street principle of making money; lying-through-their-teeth. " The charge that the SAT is slanted in favor of privileged children--"a wealth test," as Harvard law professor Lani Guinier calls it--has been ubiquitous" (American.com)

In fact, my mother and I once had the conversation in regards to the SAT. I was in my living room on a Friday night studying the day before the test. My mother came into the room at the late hour to inform me that I had a test in the morning and should be sleeping. While my movie was on pause I told her that I thought I was well off growing up. She asked what money had to do with anything, and I told her of course, the whole test relies on the underlying principle of money and the slightest bit of knowledge applied to ones test taking skills. She looked at me like she often does (like I belonged in a mental institution) and went off to bed. This practically summarizes my beliefs in a non aggressive, unsupported manner. Here's a good link:

http://www.american.com/archive/2007/july-august-magazine-contents/abolish-the-sat

Well done taking a firm stance on a controversial/stimulating issue. Were you in discussion when I mentioned that the SAT isn't highly related to socioeconomic status (i.e., wealth)?

A point I would have liked to see you address is why we should disregard the SAT/ACT/GRE if they predict outcomes of value (e.g., college grades, longevity, income, etc) better than most other constructs we have.

Doesn't it stand for Scholastic Aptitude Test...? Otherwise I pretty much agree with you and Murray.