Consciousness

When I look back throughout the whole semester, it was hard to choose only one subject we talked about that I think will stick with me for a long time. Ironically enough, I think the one that will stick with me the longest is the unit on consciousness. I have always been fascinated with the brain and how it functions in so many ways. Ranging from the sleep cycle to sleep walking and even narcolepsy, the brain has to do so many things even though we are asleep. The complexity of our minds completely blows me away. According to the book the definition of consciousness is "our subjective experience of the world and ourselves. It encompasses our ever changing awareness of thoughts, emotions, bodily sensations, events and actions." The fact that our brain can manage all of this is incredible.

I think one reason I have such an interest in all of the sleeping topics of the consciousness chapter is because I have experience or know people with experience with all of the disorders and differences of consciousness. My grandfather had narcolepsy, which greatly affected his life. I have suffered from insomnia for the last few years of my life. It can be so troubling to not be able to fall asleep at night or when I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back asleep. One other example of experience I have is when my brother was younger he had night terrors. He used to thrash around his room and pound on the walls screaming. We could not do anything about and had to wait it out until he woke up. These disorders can be so troubling, yet there really aren't that many treatments or interventions to solve them.

In the future, I hope to dive deeper into the topic of consciousness. I want to learn more about our brains and how/why these incidents of consciousness (insomnia, narcolepsy, night terrors) occur. Psychology has triggered a lot of my interests in certain subjects, and I am looking forward to pursuing more of these topics in the future.