Principles of Scientific Thinking

To be perfectly honest, the aspect of this course that will most likely stay with me the longest is that of the six principles of scientific thinking. So incessantly drilled into our memories were these concepts at the onset of each chapter quiz, that I don't think they will ever leave me. However, there is another reason, and that is that this is my first social sciences-oriented class in college, and my first exposure to such principles. Upon becoming familiar with them, I immediately became quite interested with them and began constantly applying them to other situations and disciplines in my life which they seemed to very often be applicable, certainly more so than I would have originally anticipated.

Most significantly for me personally is parsimony. The scientific principle of parsimony is truly one of the most important mind sets one can develop. I now am constantly searching, mentally analyzing every decision I come across to ascertain whether or not my choice is going to represent the most simplistic, straight-forward answer. "Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" is, of course, Occam's Razor and will feature prominently for me especially in the next few years wherein I will be studying philosophy, but more than that, it features prominently in my every day life as well. More than just my views on science, parsimony has lately dictated my views on religion, politics, and even music. I owe psych 1001 the credit for this.

Here's an informative article on the subject!

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/424706/Ockhams-razor