Chapter 1: Psychology and Scientitic Thinking

Blog entry 1 pic.jpgChapter 1 is all about psychology and scientific thinking. This chapter begins with that psychology is science. The book defines psychology as 'the scientific study of the mind, brain, and behavior'. Throughout the chapter, it breaks common misconceptions about psychology and prepares students for the following chapters. It first talks about science versus intuition and psychological pseudoscience. Examples of psychological pseudoscience are extrasensory perception (ESP), ghosts, telepathy, and astrology. Distinguishing pseudoscience is necessary because it can lead people to have scientifically unsupported treatment which can cause direct harm on them. Thus, students should think scientifically and be able to discriminate fact and fiction. Keeping six principles of scientific thinking in our mind will be helpful. Then the chapter talks about the history of psychology. It introduces how psychology has developed from past, what kinds of theories has been created, and how psychology is being applied to our life. The chapter also gives some debates that are still going on in psychology.
I think this chapter is useful because it explains basics of psychology before we actually begin studying. I was surprised by the test of popular psychology knowledge that we looked at the beginning. I did not know that all ten statements, which are widely known, are false. By reading this chapter, it helped me to build basic 'scientific mind' and perceive psychology as science like biology, physics, and chemistry.

I too found this chapter to be extremely interesting. I really enjoyed going through the timeline of how psychology came to be and how it has progressed over the years. At the end of the chapter I really felt that I wanted to have all of my friends read it just because it had such an impact on the way I think. It was very interesting how objective the authors were in this first chapter and how they kept drilling it into our minds that you need to be open to all suggestions, opinions, and possibilities in order to fully experiment with something.

Did it surprise you how scientific psychology is?

@chamb169 Yes, it certainly did! It is easy to think psychology as some kind of studying of "reading humans' mind".

I too was surprised when I saw how scientific psychology was. I guess it's easy to forget that in order to study the human mind it's important to keep scientific information and methods at the forefront in order to make sense of what we're studying.

I to found this chapter to be eye opening. Before this i never really thought of psychology as a "hard" science but now i can see that many of its beliefs are based on solid scientific methods.