Chapter 10: How children construct their worlds

A swiss psychologist named Jean Piaget was one of the first psychologist to say that children are not minature adults. He saw that they have a perfectly rational minds but their limited experience makes it difficult to see. An example that the Psychology: from inquiry to understanding book uses is that many children believe that teachers live at school because that is the only place they have seen them. See, to adults that may seem silly but if you think about it. It is perfectly rational. Piaget also says that children are often more active observers in their worlds and they constantly seek knowledge.

i agree with these statements 100%
working with the kids at my job these few examples were shown repeatedly. for most of the fall my kids were the ages of one to two. i had to watch everything i said and the context in which i said it. these kids pick up on everything so fast! we did have an incident where one child, who loved repeating things over and over again completely out of context, told his mom and dad that he was hit at school. his parents drew the conclusion that it was by a teacher. when in fact is was by another child. we had taken the correct steps in filling out the papers for and incident report but due to a swap in teachers in the middle of the day the information didnt get back to dad until the following day.
they kids pick up on everything, from speech, action and even hand gestures. so its really important as teachers, babysitters and parents that we are careful with what is said and done in front of children,
as far as the comment about teachers living at school, i had a day were i told one of the older kids jokingly that i did infact live at the school. he turned and looked at me and was like "i knew it!" he was four. haha

The last part of your blog is what says the most to me. I swear as I get older I ask myself more and more how did I entertain myself for hours on end and now I can't even stay happily focused for more than a few minutes? Kids really do seem to be more active observers and seek knowledge more than adults, even though I feel like adults try and learn but they just aren't as easily amused and interested as kids. I'd love to go back for a day being 8 years old or something and just seeing how different my perspective on things would be.
Even just babysitting for kids of all ages I see how their creativity and imagination changes with age. Also I always find myself amazed when the 7 year old girl I nanny uses her manners so well and understands what I'm saying?? In my head I think she's so young but really she knows so much.

I use to think that kids change as they get older but this blog made me realize that some of the few little kids I have met are better observers than I have ever been.

I want to comment about your last part of blog. I remember myself that I was a better observer when I was a kid. Even though I tried to sustain that kind of sense, it seems it is not as good as before. Sometimes I am surprised by questions from kids. Often they look a situation more clearly and ask sharp questions that I could not answer. It does not mean that they have better knowledge than me. It is that they are able to look something without seeing unimportant things probablely because they do not know about them yet.

How does this impact your own life? Try to do more than summarize.

What did you think when they brought up this idea of miniature adults? Did you think this was the case or did you believe something else? I found myself shocked that anyone ever stopped to look at it this way since children are very different than adults on many different levels such as maturity and cognitive ability.

Early development is clearly important and such ideas bring attention to how much the environment plays a role in human development, at least at these early stages. I don't think it matters how well your genetics have endowed someone, they still need that interaction with other human being to learn how to do the things we do everyday to stay healthy and survive.