Blog 3: Bulimia

Eating disorders have always fascinated me; however, I have never been compelled to try them. Anorexia makes sense to me, but Bulimia is a whole other story. I've never understood why someone would eat, and then want to go throw up to get rid of the delicious food they have just eaten. After reading about Bulimia, I understand that it is a vicious cycle. People who are Bulimic are addicted to food, but then later are ashamed that they have consumed maybe 3,000-5,000 calories in one HOUR, so then they vomit, use laxatives, or fast. The most interesting part about the research done on Bulimia is that even though this person has just thrown up all of their food that they have consumed, the vomiting does NOT prevent weight gain. Neither does using laxatives or diuretics. I've always thought that Bulimia was like anorexia, except that you ate food then threw it up and then lost weight. But most Bulimics are in fact over weight. Bulimia does a lot of damage to your body and teeth as well. You can become dehydrated, calluses form on your fingers, you could become anemic, and depression can set in as well. Also, your teeth become corroded and you are more prone to cavities and gum disease (from being exposed to stomach acid after vomiting.) Bulimia will not help you lose weight, so if you think you are bulimic go talk to a doctor. The most effective way to lose weight is to eat right, and exercise regularly.

These disorders impact people's lives in such huge ways. I'm curious as to why you chose to write about this?

I can understand people suffering from bulimia a bit. This kind of feeling sometimes comes to me when I eat excessively. Although I don't try vomitting myself, I kind of think that if I get rid of all intaken foods, I will not gain weights. Worrying about gaining weight is the biggest reason why people would go and throw up on purpose. It is surprising that vomitting does not prevent from increase in weight. I think there should be education on eating disorders to change popular misbeliefs.

I also find it disturbing how someone will go through all that just so they can "lose weight." I think the media has a lot to do with it as well. We live in a society where you have to be skinny and have the perfect beach body or else you aren't attractive. This makes a lot of people self conscious about themselves and later turns them into anorexic human beings. The best weight losing option is to eat well and exercise.

I can not understand any type of eating disorder. I understand that if you are self consciouss about your body or something like that that you would want to try and stay skinny the "easiest" way possible by not eating, but any time my stomach grumbles a little ANY food looks delicious. When I see all the food and deliciousness around me I can't understand how anyone would ever want to turn that down or throw it back up.