Class 7/13/06

• Pedagogical Knowledge
• Content Knowledge
• Technological Knowledge

Extended discussion about is it necessary to integrate if teachers are effective at what they do?
• What about consistency-selling technology to parents- shouldn’t we be able to expect some basic tech. skill/knowledge as the y move from grade to grade?
• Is the teacher who is anti-tech. really the best judge of the effectiveness of tech.? They may be a great teacher that can be even better?
• In services focus so much on the whole rather than individual content areas so we never get to the content knowledge intersection of the ven diagram.
• Is a technology item still considered technology when it is ubiquitous?
•I s withholding technology as punishment appropriate? Does that marginalize tech. By saying that it isn’t necessary?

7/12/06 class

Interesting revelation/discussion about using technology to compute median, mode etc. while walking through frameworks. Using the tool, excel in this case, allows time to be spent on teaching students a deeper understanding of relevancy of computations. Significant Kurzwellian idea (yes that word is intentionally and suspiciously Orwellian) of utilizing tools to advance knowledge and create real knowledge rather than reinventing basics each time. Speed advantage. Transformative v. Replacement. What is the viewpoint from the student’s perspective. They have grown up in a world where the phonebook and maps are on line so their concepts of replacement are very different from mine and ridiculously different from some of the people that I work with that only use their computer when they need to. Moreover all that they currently know is how they have been taught up ‘til now in their limited experience. What has that experience incorporated?

When I came into class today I was alittle confused about how to us ethese frameworks. It seems like they could focus to much on a right/wrong kind of assessmetn of a lesson as opposed to using the framework to infomr ourselves about wat it is that we are doing in a lesson plan.

7/10/07Class

Good start. I wish I could see demoed software and lesson plans everyday-always good ideas. Good conversation about blogging. Is it a great communication tool appropriate for students? or is it a potential risk for their safety? Probably a little bit of both. The person I am staying with while in MN works for Dept. of Environmetnal Protection on wetland invasive species. Anyway one of her interns has a blog and we were discussing yesterday the very public nature of blogs and how it can color your opinion of someone. I think one thing for today's students to consider is the abillty of future employees to google them. During an interview process it is a pretty easy way to get some added info on a person. It could be pretty damaging (or work in your favor). ong people seem to be losing the sense that the Internet is very public.

Research & Critical Issues - Hughes How to...

Hughes-How to Become a technology Integrationist
This article describes the Types of Integrated Technology Knowledge (Technology Pedagogical Knowledge, Technology Content Knowledge and Technology Pedagogical Content Knowledge) and how teachers get and implement technology integration ideas. I was actually encouraged by the article we actually have quite a few lessons that incorporate CK, TPK and PCK. Particularly in te math and science departments software programs such as Geometer’s Sketchpad, Graphical Analysis, Logger Pro and chemistry and physics probes and sensors. Additionally I teach database skills to classes in all the disciplines regularly. This spring one of our social studies teachers began using bthe magazine database Academic Search Premiere as his primary text source. Students were responsible for not only retrieving assigned readings, but finding reading related to their topic. Students in programming classes developed programs that did everything from play poker to search the contents of a Grateful Dead setlist database. At lower integration levels word processing, spreadsheet and powerpoint skills are used. Lately I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by new opportunities, but this article actually was encouraging.

Research and Critical Issues - Zhao Article

Interesting points form the Shao article included the fact that there needs to be a solid pedagogical foundation to use technology effectively. In-service sessions should include a focus on pedagogy not just show and tell. Faculty need to be aware of what their technological needs are and be willing to work through them wit support staff (who need to actually exist and be willing to help. I had disappointed teachers on a couple of occasions borrow the school’s mobile laptop lab only t find out that they couldn’t run the application that they wanted. I have learned to make them be very specific when they sign up for the lab so that I can actually run through the lesson before hand and make sure every thing runs smoothly. Another interesting idea from this article is that sometimes one teacher’s self contained project had more of an impact on the school culture (the teachers) than projects intended to include many members of the faculty. Other teachers saw the success of a project and wanted to become involved. Again this dovetails nicely with many of the “leapfrog? strategies we have discussed in Prof. Harkins class. One way to move a campus forward is to act individually.

Research and Critical issues- Taylor

Taylor
This article about an intensive 5 day Phase 9 Professional Development Program intrigued me so I investigated further and looked the website. I looked at the website www.thesolutionsite.com. Holy cow! What a resource! Teachers are often asking me for ideas on different research projects or how to teach specific skills and I am usually coming up with tings from scratch. This site is incredible I found dozens of projects and lesson plans that I can use with teachers. Every day it seems like I find something new to share with faculty to enhance the curriculum. It can get a bit overwhelming, but it is really exciting the amount of information that is at our fingertips.

Research and Critical issues - NCLB

Understanding NCLB
Understanding NCLB? Hahahaha-good one. Just kidding this is actually an easily digested overview of Title IID. Because I work in an independent high school I don’t have to deal with NCLB although we do fall under Maine’s local equivalent The Maine Learning Results because we have many students whose tuition is paid through state funding.

Research and Critical issues - Learning for the 21st Century

21st Century
Partnership between business and education. Bridging the gap between how students live and how they learn I think is a core concept to everything we are doing in the STLI program. Most of us grew up in an era predating the common usage of computers no to mention the Internet. We all learned and played in a much different world than our current students. This year’s incoming high school freshman class were born for the most part in 1992 and were preschoolers when AOL and Microsoft really brought personal computing and the Internet into the home. They think, learn and conduct research in a much different way than I did, and I’m probably somewhere in the middle age-wise of people in my position. I immediately went to the Encyclopedia Brittanica and essentially learned mind-mapping strategies (although I didn’t know it) by using the index, browsing the volumes and using a library card catalog. Key concepts that I found instructive in this article include: building on how students already view the world, students need to “understand facts and ideas in the context of a conceptual framework, and organize knowledge so they can retrieve and apply it? (this really pulls at my librarian/historian heart strings) and students should actually have an understanding of how they learn. I think these are foundational concepts in ho we as technology educators and integrators need to proceed. This article also had some really good concrete plans for moving forward into a 21st century model of learning.

Research and Critical issues - hughes

Hughes-Technology Learning Principles
A key concept presented in this article: “ teachers’ learning opportunities, in turn, are predominantly skill-based when schools offer short-term technology skill workshops? really hits home with me. I have certainly been guilty of that. I have shown many teachers how to use tech. tools without any clear vision of why they should use them or they can integrate them effectively into the classroom. I have begun to become more aware of this fault and have started to use faculty members within departments that are effective users of technology to conduct training with me-show how they are using the tools and how it is impacting the way that they teach and how their students learn. I really love this program not only for the fact that it is teaching me new things, and giving more of a sense of direction, but also it gives me confidence that I am on the right track in so many areas. It is heartening. I think that so many of us in the role of technology coordinator/director/integrator what have you came at this in a roundabout fashion and too often feel as if we are reinventing the wheel. I’m a librarian by training, and only have the position that I do because I was sick and tired of the lack of technology direction in our school and underutilization of the tools that we had available to us. I was foolish enough to speak up about it to the Head of School and the next thing I new I had new responsibilities-which I love by the way). These classes are a Godsend.

research and Critical issues - McGrath

McGrath
This article, which focuses on Project Based Learning to integrate technology dovetails nicely with much of the reading I have been doing for Professor Harkins EDPA 5308 class Emerging Issues in Technology. This term was new to me before this program although I had been practicing much of what it advocates in my lessons. I have no background in pedagogy but I am trained as a historian/folklorist/archivist and librarian so much of what PBL advocates fits perfectly into the methods I use to teach research skills in the school media center and in technology classes. I am constantly trying to get students to problem solve with me, tell me what they know and actually look at different models that they are familiar with in their own lives to solve research problems.

The results of PBL using technology for at-risk students were:
• increased engagement
• work on cognitively complex tasks
• a shift from rote learning to inquiry and all the higher-order thinking skills that are part of such research
Conclusion
• Build on what students know, through meaningful, relevant activity.
• Use technological tools to help in understanding and communicating.
• Present a product to an audience who can give students important feedback and a sense of satisfaction.

Research and Critical Issues Tapscott

Research and Critical Issues
Tapscott
I’ll be honest any article that starts by talking about market forces evening the playing field for the haves and have nots scares me a little. Just the term “open market? makes me think of the CIA in Guatemala or the Middle East assassinating democratically elected leaders, opium wars, social Darwinism and the Rand Insitute. Luckily as I read further Tapscott takes the stance that outside intervention either governmental or corporate is necessary to even the playing field. Of course he also states that having computers n classrooms in not enough they must be properly implemented and integrated into the curriculum. I found this article offered a sound foundational concept and some good strategies for businesses but it was a bit out of date. $3500 for a PC? I remember those days…and how aggravated I was 6 months later when it was obsolete.

Thoughts on Campus Week

I'm really excited about campus week. I live just north of Bangor, Maine and having grownup outside of Boston I look forward to being in a city again, I also used to work at the University of Maine so I look forward to being on a Univeristy Campus. Additionally classes and conferences like this one are the only time I really get to talk to people doing the kind of work that I do. I am the only technology person in my school and I too often feel as if I am recreating the wheel. I always come away from interactions with techies (or librarians, my other hat) having picked up something that I can bring back to my school.

We are going through the reacredditation process this year so I will be looking closely at our technology plan, which I'm afraid is in need of updating. I'd like to learn what we did wrong last time around. In the tech Integration course I would like to be able to learn a bit about how to get teachers who are reluctant, or downright stubborn to start integrating technology into their classes. The teachers who are already using technology are easy to help.

I've added the basic intro that I've been using for all of my classes so you can know a little more about me and my situation.
My name is Kevin champney and I live in Milford, Maine (about 25 minutes north of Bangor) and work as the Director of Technology, Library and Media Resources at John Bapst Memorial High School, an Independent School in Bangor. This is my first year as Tech. Coordinator. I was previously the head Librarian for 4 years and now wear both Tech. and Library hats. I'm taking classes in the CASTLE program so that I don't feel as if I am (re)creating the wheel every time I do something new at school.

I hold a BA in English from UMass, a Master's in library and Information Science from the Univeristy of South Carolina and have finished all of my coursework towards an MA in History from UMaine.

In the past I have worked as a technical wirter in Massachusetts, and an audio preservationist/archives assistant at the Maine Folklife Center. I've also done considerble research on the CCC in Acadia National Park as part of a National Park Service grant as well as Maine and the Maritimes folklore, folksong and assorted oral history projects.

In my spare time (hahaha) I garden, go to concerts, play guitar, follow all things New England sports related-right now the Red Sox-and hike and play with my Springer Spaniel Jack.

I'm currently 3 credits into the STLI graduate certificate program in School Tech. Leadership (9 credits by the end of the summer).