Applied Statistics topics: A wishlist

This entry is to facilitate discussion on what we might want to see in, say, a year-long sequence of Applied Statistics coursework. I am thinking of either a MS degree program, where this sequence would be All of Applied Statistics, or part of a PhD program, where these courses would qualify as much of Applied Statistics.

Clearly, some core topics, like linear regression, needs to be covered. Also, since applied Statistics these days requires using computational techniques in a major way, we also need to address issues about how to use at least one standard statistical software, and how to interpret the results. Just as importantly, a good applied statistician should be able to tell, at least in some cases, when to not trust the output of a software, or do something beyond what a software routinely produces.

A second issue is: What exactly is Applied Statistics? In many places all over the world, ``applied Statistics'' meant some variety of linear regression, design of experiments, survey sampling, with perhaps some multivariate Normal distribution-based methodology. These ``classical'' topics have grown in strength and scope. For example, a full ``wishlist'' on regression now ought to include linear, nonlinear, generalized linear model-based regression, quantile and nonparametric regression, high dimensional parameters, diagnostics, vizualization, model selection, classical frequentist, Bayesian, resampling-based, empirical likelihood-based and other modern approaches to estimation, inference and prediction, and perhaps much more.

Let's start by making a list of topics we would like to see in a MS-level, or first-year PhD level applied stat course.

Here is my list:

1. A module on survey sampling: Survey sampling is supremely important to be left as a completely optional topic. Students should have some idea of sampling techniques, recognize issues with nonresponse and biased sampling, have some idea of estimation and inference in case the data is not collected with a simple random sampling scheme.

2. Multivariate applications: Again, topics like principal components, dimension reduction, missing data and imputation, are core to modern statistical applications, in essentially any discipline. A small module on the fundamentals of multivariate analysis ought to be part of any applied statistics program.

3. Bayesian data analysis: Whether it is linear regression, survey sampling, experimental design, or anything under the sun, Bayesian approaches differ from classical frequentist ones in various and (sometimes major) ways, and our students ought to have some exposure to how Bayesians analyze data. At least, a small component of it.

4. Resampling-based inference: Resampling is a phenomenally powerful technique for statistical inference. It often requires fewer and less restrictive assumptions than classical inference, is applicable on a wider collection of problems, is better than CLT-driven inference, and is embarrassingly parallel computationally. Students should learn it, it saves many headaches if you are worried whether your data adheres to textbook assumptions, and saves you from embarrassment if it doesn't.

5. Modern issues with linear regression: Issues like model selection, high dimensional parameters, heteroscedasticity arise in many modern applications. We also have algorithms to handle many of these issues, we ought to expose the students to these fresh ideas.

6. Modern applications: Students should have some exposure to modern applications of statistics, like bioinformatics, financial applications, network data analysis, image data analysis, and so on. This is at the outer fringes of a ``wishlist'': shoudl these be ``core'' topics?

What would you like to see as part of the ``applied core''? Put in your suggestions below.

More info on multivariate response problems
Intro to Time-Series models in 8051

1. Bayesian stuff. 2. Nonlinear regression

I found elements of statistical learning is extremely useful book...at least for me...

And the exercises for each chapters are awesome because most of them coming directly from recent papers...

So I hope for applied statistics, we can use that book to be one of reference textbooks.

State space, hidden Markov models, dynamic linear models, kalman filtering, those are really interesting topics in engineering..

So talking about applied statistics, it is better if one can integrate statistics with a concrete background context. So It is not such bad idea to consider topics like statistics in engineering, statistics in finance, statistics in climate, statistics in health care...

A short introduction to time series

I agree with Sen. The elements of statistical learning, or broader, machine learning is highly pursued here. I would suggest having a course like this and possibly assign some projects.

There are two basic, extreme positions on teaching applied statistics topics as well as many intermediate positions. The extreme positions are narrow/deep and wide/shallow. The U of M has traditionally followed the narrow/deep prescription. That is, each of our courses tends to cover a fairly narrow topic, but cover it in great depth. We see this in the applied sequence where we get two "classical" topics in great depth (regression and design), only a little coverage of a few other subjects, and vast areas with no coverage at all.

In contrast, as a graduate student I took a semester course called "Data Analysis" that spent at most a week or two on each of 10 to 12 topics. We hit regression, anova, multivariate, graphics, and others I can't recall off the top of my head (although I may have 35+ year old notes in a box somewhere!). This is the prototypical wide/shallow course. It was a great course for introducing me to applied statistics, but I sometimes only knew enough to be dangerous.

I think that last phrase is key. Our culture has been that we don't want to produce students who only know enough about something to be dangerous. We have either taught them a lot, or not taught the topic at all.

I think that we need to address the basic cultural issue of how shallow we are willing to go before going into great detail on which topics should be included.

Gary

Discuss the "art" of applied statistics, don't just provide the tools. What does doing an analysis actually look like? I remember after I took 8051 I realized I had no idea how to actually analyze a data set. I knew how to use all the tools, but not how to put them together.

Use of plots and graphs to explore data, to look for patterns, to make inferences, and to decide what to do next.

Include resampling-based inference (as Ansu suggests).

Consider revamping not only the material but the teaching methods. I would love to see these classes become less lecture-based and include more active learning. The six GAISE recommendations for introductory courses should perhaps all be considered for how they could improve our graduate curriculum. http://www.amstat.org/education/gaise/GAISECollege_Recommendations.pdf

To add to Ansu's list of important "classical topics", please add categorical data and power calculations...

I agree with Aaron that our goal should be to teach both, the "art" as well as the science (methods) of applied statistics. This is one of the reasons I like Gary's Exp Design text book so much -- a lot of problems have real-life messy data.

The problem with "less lecture based and ... more active learning" is that it takes more time. A lot more time. So, we would need to cut material if we divert lecture time for that. My own solution over the years has been to put "active learning" activities into the labs and homeworks. Not ideal, but there is only so much time. At the end of the day, we are teaching graduate students.

It is OK to have one broad/shallow course where a lot of topics are covered, but I would prefer the majority to be narrow/deep.

Report and proposal writing should be emphasized throughout. Reprodicibility should be also be emphasized--knitr could be covered early in the first applied course. Oral communications skills are also important.

There should be a lot of active learning in the applied courses, including working in teams on projects.

At least some Bayesian methods should be incorporated.

We should have some material on dependent data. For example, spatial statistics are completely ignored in our current curriculum.

Machine learning concepts and methods should be incorporated along the way, but I don't really see a need for a separate core course on them.

I am not certain where you are getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend some time finding out much more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.

A tube of mouthwash,oakley baseball sunglasses

th oakley baseball sunglasses e picture shows the LV Saumur valentino studded heels MM in the everelegant saddle bag shape with a Monogram Idylle canvas in encre color. This design accompany another color sepia. Its hardware are made with square shiny golden brass and on front side, you are able to t ostrich pillow online h

Edwards had finetuned the readiness of human eggs

excursions wall art decor other bags,wall art decor, So you will find coach factory outlet one that fits your style and taste. Some perfect for an evening on the town, others are nice enough for a special party or event. There are some cute bags that you will find great to take alo cheap red bottom shoes n

Esteban felix ostrich pillow for sale the interrelated press,ostrich pillow for sale

For mcm handbag those firms that cannot allocate a chunk of their revenue to ad budget, Conference bags a great medium for advertising. By e roger vivier shoes saks ssence conference bags make for an item of utility which is used each day. in turn,mcm handbag, A conference

It will mechanically send you a note if

As numero chanel boutique us Clutter CoachTM,chanel boutique, Cyndy Salzman has seen her share of dishe roger vivier flats veled heaps and muddled homes. During her talk I came to in Crystal Lake, IL Cyndy shared many tales of uncluttering her lifetime and the lives of her clients. when worki chanel jelly sandals n

der staatsanwalt war allerdings der meinung

Und der 'betrogene' Eh abercrombie shop emann hat tatsächlich nichts Isabel marant dicker von ihrem hochhackigen Auftritt mitbekommen, denn er musste am Tag der Ausstrahlung arbeiten und konnte die Sendung nicht sehen. Leider hat Katarina ihre Investition aber nicht weitergeholfen. Ihre Sti Isabel marant online m

es waren dann beide,abercrombie deutschland shop

Mit dem Wegfall der abercrombie deutschland shop le Isabel marant bobby tzten Quoten zum Jahreswechsel 2004/05 ist die weltweite Textil und Bekleidungsbranche vollständig liberalisiert. Experten befürchten, dass China nun bis zu 50 Prozent der weltweit hergestellten Stoffe und Modewaren produzier Isabel marant basley e

Fallen off the shoulders of porters on treks,christian louboutin wedding shoes christian louboutin wedding shoes

It is a better way of lowering your card bills tha hollister sale uk n buy a cheaper one. So options of saving money is not to spend any money. Once you want to sell your old coach bag,hollister sale uk, You could don it Ebay or some co chanel espadrilles saks a

I will take the time to evangelize regarding

south Isabel Marant Boots america City, Which has had some of the wor Isabel Marant Sneakers st polluting of the environment in the world,Isabel Marant Boots, Also is looking at improving its situation in other ways. The municipal regime announced this month it will place more tha valentino heels n 1,100 bicycle

But Isabel Marant Bekett it does slow down the r Isabel Marant Shoes ecovery process

Given all if you,Isabel Marant Bekett, the "Offbike pannier" can be the Walking Bag by Courierware. It basically feels like a black shoulder bag. It' valentino s designed as some form of small courier bag,Isabel Marant Shoes, But aging scream "CYCLIST accessory" Wh

And let that proc Isabel Marant Berlin eed through security

Th valentino shoes e companions bristled with firepower. They belonged to a special diamonddelivery shelter unit,Isabel Marant Berlin, And each Isabel Marant Shoes cop carried a fully intelligent weapon. her cargo: De Beers monthly goods of diamonds,valentino shoes, definitely worth millions. th

It would be extremely helpful

Hi ladies had my event in Bright,Isabel Marant Isabel Marant Sneaker Wedges Sneaker Wedges, Isabel Marant Outlet VIC in November 09 and we had people coming from all over the world (I coming from your states,Isabel Marant Outlet, spouse from VIC). The whens/wheres of the bus transport to cherished, consequently on. valentino pumps )

Disposa Isabel Marant Sneakers l of medical waste has emerged as a problem in the,Isabe valentino studded flats l Marant Sneakers

Mercedes is trying airbags that deploy from underneath the car that will help stop a vehicle before a crash. The airbags are par Isabel Marant Carol Sandals t of completed active safety system and deploy when sensors determine that at impact is

And experts guesses are far fr valentino sale om spe Isabel Marant Online Shop cified right now or ever

About 3 weeks after I moved into my new residential home, I woke up with a tiny red patch of dry skin under my left eye. It has gr Isabel Marant Sandals own a bit now, And there is now a tiny one beginning under my right eye as well. It's itchy every once in

Hola, Gracias por el post. muy interesante como siempre, ¡¡¡Enhorabuena!!!

cover anything from red cherry,new balance

We've had extre new balance me fun wrapping gifts with flags. For our toddler we just wrapped his gifts with Isabel Marant flags he could open these easily so there was no frustration as he tried to get into his gifts. We stored his gifts in a big storage bag so he couldn't get t boutique hollister o

Check the hotel mattress when you check o Christian Louboutin K?Benhavn ut the hotel,Christia bridestowe bear sydney n Louboutin K?Benhavn

This different outcome involving the two cell types may be due to differential cell surface receptor saturation of GaLV ray ban briller envelope receptors between HeLa cells and Tlymphocytes.14 importantly, The ability of the VS

every raved over this,playtimesover playtimesover

I put myself to bed together with up at 5:45 again in today's market. Go globalhus t another NRLAbs lift in and just finished my sweet potato, red onion, sausage, Egg and avocado scramble I don love the stove, But at least I can have a good proteinrich tomsoutletshoesmax brekkie on the job,

Ne k?b ray ban w york public librarythey marched kno abercrombie and fitch store locator wn as to the,k?b ray ban

One challenge with consumer electronics,abercrombie and fitch store locator, hints Sulliva christian louboutin prezzi n, Is that they may be carried inside dark pockets, Bags and covers. A solution to that is to put the solar panels on the exteriors of the clot

8 million to federal candidates and the political parties since ja burberry schal preis n

representation number two: Sit with a pen and paper and a chanel espadrilles price scertain what you really need in your new house to be happy,burberry schal preis. List budget friendly homes that meet your criteria,chanel espadrilles price. Make several north face

I found no po burberry schal preis sitive change in chanel espadrilles discount taste

Bags of coins down on the pavement tarmac, The wearing surface of a road,burberry schal preis, lane, Or sidewalk. Parts of Babylon and Troy are told have been paved; R red valentino shoes oman roads were noted for his or her durable stone paving. Cobblestones were common from late

you have got plain coloured materia pandora charms on sale l

One of the other reviewers mentioned that the sweeten mcm purse ed condensed milk falls to the bottom of the glass in a glob,pandora charms on sale, And I had the same issue the first time I made a cup. The solution does seem mixing the condensed milk with t ralph lauren danmark he cream in a

Lightweight and therefore was ideal for the

Its al north face coats most like a EP file som chanel espadrilles discount e thing (long plaY) But not intended to be. some Length, Then click the red X,north face coats, Which simply gets rid of the "Tag line" For the file's size, and click on Okay. This will get m mcm handbag ore files (Quite hastily i might

I know which lots of foods are free is this desirable,globalhus

Next, ass globalhus isting the fabri ebzalexandersbad c folded and the right sides together, Pin the edges. Measure up both sides of the material from the folded edge on each edge and mark with a dot at 10.5" and 11.5 changingimage " To associated with casing for the ribbon. Y

It has several handy pockets and incredible burberry schuhe s parka woolrich ilver hardware,burberry schuhe

Sound cards are inexpensive these days. A PCI sound card can be purchased for about $10 from many retailers, And I've seen gratify USB sou woolrich nd "invites" On eBay around a dollar. You would almost certainly get far better res

Taking a partner is apparent,abercrombie and fitch abercrombie and fitch Outlet Outlet

red bottoms shoes Stasi files contain not only concerning East Germans, But also about foreigners and spying surgical treatments abroad. Under german born law, Anyone can request that the BStU che christian louboutin outlet italia ck to see whether are mentioned in Stasi documents and,red bo

Separate fro Christian Louboutin m other fruit and veg

By mr. Siuchor g. suggests. Lady Dior in red is also n bridestowe bear melbourne oticeable in the show when carried by Leighton Meester as Blair Waldorf. Fashion rules always go that choose the one a christian louboutin mens shoes ppropriate for you! And this Lady Dior in red is just great for girls like Blair Waldorf. A

Let the dessert cool first before adding the icing

Eye bags are performing chanel v?skor online aggregated fat under the eye area. This takes place when the septum surr ostrich pillow buy ounding the eye area weakens, Making the outer layer of fat through the socket fall forwards making literal "suitcases" beneath your eyes. other reas Christian Louboutin Sale o

I cook less meat and try to fill o pandora charms uk ut meals with alternative options

pandora necklace The bags mostly have an athletic design and are also competitively priced,pandora charms uk, which are for low hundreds. They are great for people on the go, and then for sporting and casual events. Popular sorts of woolrich mantel bags include

10 and the prognostic a wor isabel marant trainers th of such findings

It operates 293 woolrich parka stores in US (at the time of June 28, 2008). will also, The company expects to double its business (already present 8%) In Japan in launched. and additionally,isabel marant traine woolrich jassen sale rs, The handbag market was mostly of the segments in th

A bag can be moved in by othe pandora uk r bags from either player

wh isabel marant buy online en you've got a day planned at the park,pandora uk, A tote makes for an alternative way to carry food,isabel marant buy online, Extra attires,valentino pumps, serviettes, And fun toys to bri valentino pumps ng along. A tote bag can easily replace a picnic b

if your little c pandora jewelry hild dosent lik burberry schal e it

Top of pageAbstractAutograft full lymphocyte count (AALC) Is an independent prognostic factor for survival after autologous periph pandora bracelets eral blood hematopoietic stem cell hair transplant (APHSCT) to nonHodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Factors enhancing AALC selections are u

I don rea louis vuitton geldb?rse lize what else to add

I go woolrich parka sale t the nonANT+ style of this (because 4S supports Bluetooth Smart, It not necessarily needed) And find it faultlessly adequate. The addon battery is currently burberry schuhe available. Only issue I noticed is that it has the pins wired so that audio goes out the "Dock connectio

Coming from essential burberry trenchcoat damen oper pandora bracelets ations

Factory Stores at North Bend can be found at about 45 minutes from Seattle, miami State, Off Interstate 90 East to say goodbye 3 woolrich arctic parka 1. manufacturing unit Stores at North Bend also houses over 50 brandname outlet stores. brand name outlet stores include Eddie Bauer,bur

D when visualized with refined light a or uv light d woolrich jassen kids

When he got over there, H valentino studded heels e couldn know what he was seeing. Speedy had dropped it. The belongings in the garbage bag was strewn amongst the trees. which make it necessary to backup Xbox 360 games before you actually start using them. This way i isabel marant sneaker f

For example, if you just type "Free Anonymous VPN" into Google, you're just looking for trouble. Article Source: Clearwater writes on topics such as Web Proxies Proxy and Proxy Websites for Mywebproxies. They enter the innocuous URL of a proxy site and once on the site, they can access webmail, IM, P2P, streaming media, social networking and much more ' all the stuff that is banned or controlled in organizations for fear of security threats.

Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

These are genuinely fantastic ideas in concerning blogging. You have touched some good points here. Any way keep up wrinting.|

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.