Paper to Read for 11/14/2012
Please read this paper for in-class discussion on Wednesday.
A great resource on this topic is http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/superresolution/index.html.
Here are the discussion questions:
1. What is the diffraction limit and why do we want to overcome it?
2. What is a photoswitching molecule?
3. Why are they critically important for sub-diffraction fluorescence imaging?
4. How is a diffraction-limited signal converted into a sub-diffraction image?
5. Why is the emission maximum red-shifted from the absorption maximum?
6. Describe the 3 major classes of photoswitchable dyes discussed here.
7. What experiment would you pursue using sub-diffraction fluorescence imaging?