Mother Drives Herself and Four Children into Hudson River

A mother and her three children died after she drove her minivan vehicle with her four children into the Hudson River on Tuesday, one of her 10-year-old sons escaped.
"If I'm going to die, you're going to die with me," Lashanda Armstrong told the children before the vehicle sank to the bottom of the river, the only surviving child told authorities, the NY Daily News reported.
According to the NY Daily News, Lashaun, Armstrong's 10-year-old son, escaped the sinking minivan by opening a power window and swimming to safety in the two minutes that it took for the minivan to sink.
"He was screaming for help," Meave Ryan, a good samaritan who took Lashaun to a nearby firehouse, told The New York Times. "He said, 'My mommy just drove the car in the water.'"
According to The New York Times, the minivan was in eight feet of water with Lashaun's mother still inside with her three other childen. The police identified the children as Landen Pierre, 5; Lance Pierre, 2; and Lainaina Pierre, 11 months.
"There was an argument about cheating, that his stepfather was cheating on his mother," Ryan told the New York Times, according to Lashaun.
According to The New York Times, Lashaun told Ryan that his mother had called a relative and said, "I'm sorry, I'm going to do something crazy, you have to forgive me."
A relative called police before the incident and reported a "domestic disturbance" that may have involved Armstrong's husband, CNN reported.
Members of the Armstrong family released three star-shaped white balloons on Wednesday at the boat ramp where the van went into the water, the NY Daily News reported.

This page contains a single entry by chazi013 published on April 14, 2011 12:48 PM.

Tornado Damages Over Half of Iowa Town was the previous entry in this blog.

Three Students Hurt in Dinkytown Hit-and-Run is the next entry in this blog.