Roger Ebert Learns To Speak Through Computers

Movie critic Roger Ebert lost his ability to speak after undergoing Jaw surgery, but proved that he could overcome his loss by speaking through a computer in a talk at the TED 2011 Conference in Long Beach, California.
According to Time, Ebert is now one of the most dominating voices online and commands huge audiences to his Twitter feed and his blog, and is able to type his words into his Mac computer which reads it out.
Ebert recruited his wife and his educators John Hunter and Dr. Dean Ornish to read his story of cancer and communication, as his friends read, Ebert contributed with goofy gestures to show his humor, Time reported.
"These are my words, but this is not my voice," Ebert told the audience of nearly 2,000, CNN reported. "This is Alex, the best computer voice I've been able to find, which comes as standard equipment on every Macintosh. For most of my life, I never gave a second thought to my ability to speak. It was like breathing. In those days, I was living in a fool's paradise. After surgeries for cancer took away my ability to speak, eat or drink, I was forced to enter this virtual world in which a computer does some of my living for me."
Ebert said he used to communicate by writing in notebooks then used a computer voice he found online with a British accent, but then eventually settled on the Alex voice, CNN reported.

This page contains a single entry by chazi013 published on April 17, 2011 5:12 PM.

Three Students Hurt in Dinkytown Hit-and-Run was the previous entry in this blog.

Zygi Wilf Optimistic About Vikings Stadium After Capitol Visit is the next entry in this blog.