What is leadership?

Last Week: Going along with my definition from last week, the articles this week were revolved around cultural differences and views. Growing up in a small town being one of few people of color, it was difficult for me to relate to anyone. People treated me fine but I sensed a feeling of being out of place in my community. I decided to reach out to other people at my school who were of color and also to those who were white that maybe did not feel socially accepted in school. I had a variety of views of people and their backgrounds which made me become more interested in what else is out there in the world. I want to be able to educate people of every race to be open and accepting of everyone. Young people and children at a young age tend to shape their views on people and I think it is important to be able to provide education for them when it might be limited. Their thinking maybe be limited due to culture, family views etc but maybe reaching out can broaden their thinking and maybe for them to pass it on to others.

This week: I decided to write about what I think is NOT leadership. This is from an experience that I encountered last night which made me reconsider and reevaluate who are leaders out there. I am a server at a restaurant and I was busy running around and dealing with the usual on a Friday night. Feeling confident and sure of myself that I did a good job, my manager comes up to me and tells me that my large table complained about the service. Being completely unaware and shocked that they would say such a thing, my heart sank. I thought in my head that my manager was just playing around with me because I honestly thought I did well with my service. He had to comp out their drinks which at the end resulted in me getting nothing for a tip. I was completely crushed and was emotional about the situation. For a manager, I understand that he was upset about it but I thought that he would also defend for me and have some sort of compassion for my hard work and best efforts that I gave. I did not get that at all from him rather, I got put down for my work and he did not do anything to comfort me for my mistakes. It was almost like he agreed with the customers about my work which clearly makes me think he does not support his employees through a busy time. As a leader, I would think that someone who focuses on a task with others would support each other when one is falling behind. I felt completely thrown under the bus. I heard in the past that other servers have also cried and went through the same thing. It is people like him who make servers like me and other employees want to quit. It is important for a leader to understand where people are and what they are going through to figure out a way to make things better. I did not get that support from him nor do I expect it from it because of that incident.

Differece? My definition from last week and this week are different but can be tied together where cultural differences may clash and cause issues. I did not consider that to be the case.

What is leadership?

Last Week: After reading Get on the Balcony, it has given me a more defined idea of what leadership is. Knowing what how others view you and how you view others can make a better understanding of who you are and your role as a leader. Some things that people say or see may not be the same as what you view yourself as, but it is important to take things in consideration when it comes to viewing people. I believe it takes more than what someone says about you but rather action. Showing your leadership skills or any action that may emphasize who you are may change someones view but it may take a while depending on who that person is. All in all, to have a better understanding of yourself, you must listen and view how others see you and maybe from there figure out if there is something you should work on or if it is something you cannot control because that person may always view it that way. I feel that we all should switch back and forth roles of where we are in the "balcony" or dance however people interpret it.

This Week: Going along with my definition from last week, the articles this week were revolved around cultural differences and views. Growing up in a small town being one of few people of color, it was difficult for me to relate to anyone. People treated me fine but I sensed a feeling of being out of place in my community. I decided to reach out to other people at my school who were of color and also to those who were white that maybe did not feel socially accepted in school. I had a variety of views of people and their backgrounds which made me become more interested in what else is out there in the world. I want to be able to educate people of every race to be open and accepting of everyone. Young people and children at a young age tend to shape their views on people and I think it is important to be able to provide education for them when it might be limited. Their thinking maybe be limited due to culture, family views etc but maybe reaching out can broaden their thinking and maybe for them to pass it on to others.

Difference? Not much of a difference of my definition of leadership, I added on from the last definition because I believe they go well together. Viewing others from a different perspective can change how they see themselves personally and others. This can have a tremendous effect on our society as well as the world if we can all do this.

What is leadership

What is leadership?

Last Week: My definition of leadership is defined based more on learning experiences which then helps develop personal qualities that everyone can learn and teach. The Nebguide organizes an easy understanding of what kind of characteristics to look for in a servant leader. I have always had this thing growing up learning from others through their stories and empathize with them what is going on in their lives and how if affects them and other people. My mother is a great example of helping me develop the empathy characteristic that I have. She has been through a lot in her life and her stories help me want to reach out to others and listen to their stories. It is important to listen and understand where one is coming from. This is very helpful in collaborating and working together to make change in others who may not have an easy time developing such a characteristic.

This Week: After reading Get on the Balcony, it has given me a more defined idea of what leadership is. Knowing what how others view you and how you view others can make a better understanding of who you are and your role as a leader. Some things that people say or see may not be the same as what you view yourself as, but it is important to take things in consideration when it comes to viewing people. I believe it takes more than what someone says about you but rather action. Showing your leadership skills or any action that may emphasize who you are may change someones view but it may take a while depending on who that person is. All in all, to have a better understanding of yourself, you must listen and view how others see you and maybe from there figure out if there is something you should work on or if it is something you cannot control because that person may always view it that way. I feel that we all should switch back and forth roles of where we are in the "balcony" or dance however people interpret it.

Difference: I may never experience what my mother went through in her life but I feel like I have a good idea of who she is. In that situation the only thing I can do is move forward on how to inspire others.

What is leadership?

Last Weeks Definition: My personal definition so far as leadership is that it takes patience and understanding of an issue and the people affected by it. Having many things going on in my life, it is difficult for me to consider myself a leader without reading and understanding the different texts of leadership. Beginning to have an idea of these group assignments and reading the texts has given me a better idea of what I can define as leadership. Communication is a must for one thing because without that, people will have a hard time understanding what the purpose for whatever action is occuring. According to Heifetz reading on Leadership in Permanent Crisis,he discusses about the affects and process of what CEO and other high positions deal with when it comes to a business. This can also be applied in other forms of positions that may not be related to business. For example, a school setting, a position as a teacher or principle must follow similar tasks in order for the school to run smoothly. Working with each individuals and their different abilities help in succeeding.

Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). Leadership in a (Permanent) Crisis. Harvard Business Review, 87(7/8), 62-69.

This Weeks: My definition of leadership is defined based more on learning experiences which then helps develop personal qualities that everyone can learn and teach. The Nebguide organizes an easy understanding of what kind of characteristics to look for in a servant leader. I have always had this thing growing up learning from others through their stories and empathize with them what is going on in their lives and how if affects them and other people. My mother is a great example of helping me develop the empathy characteristic that I have. She has been through a lot in her life and her stories help me want to reach out to others and listen to their stories. It is important to listen and understand where one is coming from. This is very helpful in collaborating and working together to make change in others who may not have an easy time developing such a characteristic.

Change?

My definition this week compared to last was not much difference because listening has always been a repeating theme in my definition. I think it is important to have that because it can help test out how well you listen and how patient you are when it comes to not putting yourself first.

Barbuto, Jr., J., Wheeler, D., & , (2007). Becoming a servant leader: do you have what it takes?.NebGuide, Retrieved from www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1481/build/g1481.pdf

What is leadership?

My personal definition so far as leadership is that it takes patience and understanding of an issue and the people affected by it. Having many things going on in my life, it is difficult for me to consider myself a leader without reading and understanding the different texts of leadership. Beginning to have an idea of these group assignments and reading the texts has given me a better idea of what I can define as leadership. Communication is a must for one thing because without that, people will have a hard time understanding what the purpose for whatever action is occuring. According to Heifetz reading on Leadership in Permanent Crisis,he discusses about the affects and process of what CEO and other high positions deal with when it comes to a business. This can also be applied in other forms of positions that may not be related to business. For example, a school setting, a position as a teacher or principle must follow similar tasks in order for the school to run smoothly. Working with each individuals and their different abilities help in succeeding.

What is leadership?

When I think of how to identify leadership, I think of both the small and large aspects of it. Anything from the President of the United States being a leader to my elementary school teacher, we are all leaders/followers. We cannot do one without the other. I feel it is important for us to know that we all have leadership inside of us and sometimes we either push ourselves further to lead into whatever or we choose to not. Some obviously may have stronger leadership in them but sometimes within that is others helping. One thing that I believe is important to leadership is listening. We listen to ourselves, to others, etc...having that ability to listen is what can make leadership strong/weak.

Recent Comments

• burberry uhren: Junk sci woolrich parka damen ence Isabel Marant Sneaker since read more
  • burberry brillen: If not the wine bottles I would Isabel marant dicker read more
  • burberry hemd: It's convenient and light-weight,parka woolrich Sections were parka woolrich stained read more
  • parka woolrich: By closely e woolrich parka herren xamining the tools for read more
  • woolrich parka herren: might be very sturdy and r woolrich jacken damen eliable read more
  • woolrich arctic parka: Of bravura plus folly There a burberry re many dog read more
  • Isabel marant online shop: I w burberry tasche ear pants with pant pockets Mary read more
  • Christian Louboutin Danmark: She managed to get an appointment red bottoms for cheap read more
  • cheap pandora charms: Pacsafe hollister sale bags contain a layer of exomesh on read more
  • red bottom heels: The mesothelial cells in mcm wallet m 199 medium sized read more