Good and Powerful

I think this story about "Digital Nation," is a well research news program. The "Digital Nation," program is to explain the more changing environments that almost all of us are facing. That changing environments got something to due with the Internet and digital media devices.

The program did a good job on finding college students explaining the pros and cons about the Internet and multitasking. I think they are right about college students trying too much to multitask while being in class or elsewhere. Everywhere I go now, I see people using their cell-phones, I-pods and computers. In this days age we are all busy with digital media devices now days. What the program is tying to show is that we could do a better job on using the Internet.

"Technology is not good or bad, is powerful and it's complicated," said Sherry Turkle, MIT Initiative on Technology and Self.

The program did a wonderful job on explaining about the Internet. This program could support the audiences into taking good action with the Internet. That good action is using the Internet for good purposes, like going online to read a news articles, not going online and put in eight hours of online chatting or gaming. It is mainly tying to educate us into smarter Internet users and realize where we are heading in the next few years with the Internet. There is no weakness with this program in my opinion.

I wanted to become a broadcast journalist. This story about "Digital Nation," is an excellent example of good broadcasting journalistic work. I want to create image that people will remember. I done two video stories so far one of them is about President Barack Obama consideration of education in this country and the other one is about being the first in the family to go to college. This broadcast journalism work of Frontline going to be one of the high mark that I want to achieve before I am done with making videos.

Obama to Party: Don't 'Run for the Hills'

The Star Tribune lead by Kevin Diaz is short and questionable, making readers continuing to read to find the answer to that short sentence. That short sentence is not a question by a good lead for people that trying to find out what that short sentence mean. The lead was, "It wasn't supposed to be like this," by Diaz. Nothing more to that lead, if readers want to find out, continue reading.

The New York Times lead by Sheryl Gay Stolberg was a little bit to long almost similar to every other lead in a news story. Giving the readers most of the important information to understand what they are about to read.

The next paragraph both of the writers mention about the big impact of the Democrats Party in Congress losing their senate seat to a Republican senator in Massachusetts. The president now has to find out a way to bring all the senators and congressmen all together to fix the health care bill. I think both news reporters put it after the lead because it's a very important story for newsreaders to understand what everybody is thinking before the State of the Union.

For the Star Tribune the first quote was by senator Amy Klobuchar, a day before the speech. She is wondering if they have an old draft of the speech that president Obama going to read.

For the New York Times they started out a little quote by president Obama it was, " tired old battles." A few sentences after that quote it was president Obama quote again, "To Democrats, I would remind you that we still have the largest majority in decades, and the people expect us to solve some problems, not run for the hills," said Obama.

If I have to pick which one of these story is a better news story, I would pick the story by the Stat Tribune because of that good lead he put for the readers. Everything else almost is similar to one another.

No Quad Necessary, Lysacek Wins Skating Gold

There was plenty of drama Thursday night at the finals of men's figure skating at the Vancouver Winter Olympics. One skater's laces broke in the middle of his program. And American Johnny Weir performed exceptionally well and crowned himself with a wreath of roses while waiting for his score.

I like this lead by Tom Goldman, sports correspondent for NPR. He answered most of the W's and that is good for the audience. He also put in some words that could make the audiences picture the event happening without even watching it on television. I think it worked pretty well for a standard newspaper lead writing style.

The United States pulled off its biggest Olympic hockey upset since the Miracle on Ice, stunning Canada 5-3 on Sunday to advance to the quarterfinals of an already mixed-up tournament.

I like this lead, it compared today U.S hockey victory against Canada to one of the best American memorized game in history, Miracle on Ice. The young American team defeated the Russians to win the men's ice hockey game of the 1980 Winter Olympics. By doing so, it got many audiences attention to read the story behind this victory. The writer thinks by using the Miracle on Ice comparison to today's game, could influence the audiences to read or unread the story. It was a smart idea to bring back the Miracle on Ice in comparison to what just happened. If the American team wins this year Olympic hockey tournament, I think the lead might be more in depth with the feelings people had in Lake Placid, New York where the Miracle on Ice happened.

St. Paul teen accused of killing dad

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that a son and father got into an argument that lead into one person dead. Amaris Gaither 18-year-old killed his father Anthony Gaither after a dispute. Amaris shot his father multiple times outside their duplex in the Dayton's Bluff neighborhood. Anthony died at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Amaris was arrested several blocks away from the crime scene. "It...ultimately became a deal where the father and son got into it, and it resulted in the shooting," said Sgt. Paul Schnell, St. Paul police spokesman. Now police are looking at neighbor's security camera to learn more about what happen.

In this story immediacy, proximity, conflict, and emotion are the news values. This has more news values than I first thought. Starting with immediacy, the problem occurred only a day before the Sunday newspaper edition that mean it's breaking news. For proximity the location is in Dayton's Bluff neighborhood in St. Paul, the second biggest city in Minnesota. Conflicts and emotions might be the most important part of this story in my view. When I first read this story, my first question was why did Amaris shot his father? Finding the conflicts side of this story will answer that question. Secondly emotions, people reading this story might have heartbreaking or anger emotions. If news story could have more than 2 news values, I think the newspaper might run out faster than normal.

Alleged drunken diver hits State Patrol squad car

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that a woman driving drunk got into a vehicle accident with a Minnesota State Patrol car. Capt. Matt Langer was on his way to support a Minneapolis police officer's, with his siren and flashing lights on. The crash happened around 2 a.m. Sunday, near Stinson Boulevard and Interstate 35W. The woman and the trooper were not hurt, but a passenger in her car had little injuries. She was arrested right after the accident.

This story has two news values they are immediacy and proximity. Starting with immediacy, it happen around 2 a.m. on Sunday, that mean it will be perfect to run for the Sunday news paper edition, if all the information from the reporter is clean and clear for the news readers. Most of the time if the information is not that great the story might have to wait for the next day edition. I think this is why being a good reporter in a timely manner is the key to people wanting to buys and reads the newspaper. Newspaper reporters have to fight harder than television reporters because of the information they have to put in each story. Television news stories are fast, each stories will run about 30 seconds or less and the fact information is not that great. If the audiences want to know more about the story, they have to go and buy a newspaper. For proximity the people that live around Minneapolis will want to know what happening in their neighborhood, especially with somebody breaking the laws and it's also happen in the largest city in the state.

Out of the corn bin, but deep in trouble with boss, OSHA

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that The Occupational Safety and Health Administration are doing an investigation a day after one of their worker, Mark Malecha, got stuck in a grain bin. Malecha might be in trouble for not following the guidelines. He was stuck in there for eight hours. Now come Monday, he will have to explain the reasons why he got stuck and why he didn't follow the guidelines.

This story has proximity, immediacy and novelty for the news values. Starting with proximity, this story happen in Farmington, Minnesota close to home and we the readers most likely will want to know. For newspaper companies, immediacy is very important for them and the readers, we don't want to read something that happen yesterday, a few month from now. We want to read right away and move on. The newspaper writer for this story did a good job on following the story, even after the breaking news happens. Novelty is also very important, because story like this does not happen very so offend. It made me read this story and not the real headline stories in the front page.

CLEAN UP OR PAY UP

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that The Department of Natural Resources officers and fishermen are going at it again this year, with littering. The DNR officers are going around in search of trash leaving behind by fishermen. One way is to use GPS receivers to mark each location of the fish houses, so the officers could fines those fishermen up to $2,000 for leaving stuff behind. "A lot of time you end up digging through the garbage bags to find out if there's anything you can find a name to or a receipt to," according to Adam Block an conservation officer in Prior Lake.

The information in this news story is for two groups of people to understand what going on in the next few weeks. The first group is the fishermen and the second group newspaper audiences in Minnesota. The news values in this story are immediacy and impact all in one. For the immediacy, the timing is perfect for people to know what is going on around their lake when winter is over. For impact, this story could have an effect on people living around the lakes or people that love to take care of the natural places.

Recent Comments

• aburi007: I do agree that this is a good piece of read more
  • bergr027: I agree with the above comment. I think the lead read more
  • moore546: I believe the lead to be just the first sentence. read more
  • darde007: I completely agree with you Dee. I feel like the read more
  • aburi007: I agree that I do this lead becuase I feel read more