Arctic Blast | Main | You Know You've Been in Minnesota Long Enough When...

Red is Right (this time)

I hesitate to even foray into the Minnesota Vikings blogosphere, but no blog about Minnesota culture would be complete without a few postings about the Minnesota Vikings. If you want to read a couple really good blogs on the topic, check out Greet Machine and Mr. Cheer or Die's Viking Underground.

I'm sure many of my friends don't understand my interest in football, since for the most part, I'm a serious, bookish type. Furthermore, many people with my general political orientation tend to be fairly opposed to professional sports because, let's face it, there ARE a lot of injustices in this world. How does professional football, with it's high ticket prices, etc, contribute to making the world a better place? Oh, and there's the overt violence that goes with football that generally doesn't fit with the things I value, like world peace, children frolicking happily in the snow, and a good lentil curry. I can't explain it, and what's even more surprising is that I really like college hockey too. But football goes way back for me, to childhood Friday evenings, my dad and me bundled up in snowmobile suits sitting on the cold metal bleachers and watching the Williston, ND Coyotes lose yet another game. I learned football from my dad, who taught me not just to watch the game, but how to play as well (for fun only, of course).

I've always been a fan of the Vikings, although I'm loathe to admit that in certain parts of ND where I grew up, the Packers are often a second choice team. The rule is: Vikings first, then Packers. I know, it doesn't make much sense to anyone in the cities, but when you're miles away from anywhere, you cheer for who's winning. It's a bundle of contradictions, but it all makes sense to me.

Sunday's game had to be one of the best Vikings games ever! If you want the true sense of the game, just read Greet Machine or Mr. Cheer or Die. They really capture the feelings I think all Vikings fans had at the end of that game. Perhaps one of the best moments in the game was Randy Moss's "pseudo-moon." I think I've seen it replayed on tv 100 times. And I for one was disguisted only by Joe Buck's disguisting comments on the event. Fox Sports WAS out of line, yet, loving Fox in general as I do, I have no doubt that Sunday's game will be full of disparaging comments against Moss. And, to finally come to the point the title here has been leading up to Red McCombs IS right to ask Fox not to have Buck at the game on Sunday. Sportscasters barely disguise their support for one team or the other, and we all know who Buck wanted to win! McComb implied in his comments (heard on KARE 11 tonight) that Buck's comments were racist, and I don't want to make a full racial analysis here, but I agree. I think there's a lot of racism inherent in professional sports that we overlook in the name of entertainment.

See? I really know how to take myself too seriously. In the meantime, Go Vikings!

Posted by chri1010 at January 12, 2005 11:46 PM

A reminder in the unhappy state of your economy in Europe and that exotic automobile's will not be only toys for the rich and famous.

Posted by: Maude Herauf at February 19, 2013 3:43 AM

Remember personal info?