« Written Prelim Hell, Part II | Main | Whoo hoo! »

Written Prelim Nirvana

Yesterday, at approximately 2:15, I turned in my written preliminary exam to my department's DGS. I had no IDEA how exhilirating the feeling of accomplishment would truly be! It's done! It's over! It's the end of having to write a paper that has been designed exclusively to please someone else!

A friend of mine told me that after I turned the paper in, I would feel a combination of giddiness and exhaustion. To be honest, I didn't agree at the time. I was still feeling a little resentful of the whole process--after all, we had to write a 30 page paper that coherently addressed seven broad topics taken from our coursework. It's not a pretty paper: as my partner-in-academe says, "It's not the paper we would have written; it's the paper we had to write." So, there it is. Done. Turned in. And, yes, waves of giddiness and exhaustion.

We went out to celebrate last night. We figured that rather than drinks alone somewhere, we'd take J (our 3 1/2 year old) with us to somewhere he likes. After all, he's been stuck in this process with us. Not only has he decided that he wants to learn another language so our papers will be about him, but he watched the Aristocats movie at least a dozen times this weekend while we were glued to our laptops. Anyway, we went to the Good Earth, where J will eat a little of the cheese pizza along with some fruit and bread. It's his favorite restaurant, I think. We were there later in the evening, and it wasn't so busy. We told our server that we were celebrating our prelims, and she gave us free dessert! It was a really nice way to wind down from the whole process. We got home and crashed into an exhausted heap.

Now, to just pick up the momentum and get the orals done soon....

Posted by chri1010 at February 8, 2005 12:15 PM

Congratulations!

Posted by: Yvette at February 8, 2005 12:28 PM

Jason you're correct. There is quite a bit of noise. I also think the demographics are largely skewed to women which may increase the male perception of "noise".

Posted by: Dan Bjorseth at August 10, 2012 5:49 AM

Just wondering, before I consider subscribing... is this an actual, individually composed letter to each and every subscriber, or does just about every writer compose a single letter just about every week and send the same composition to all of your subscribers they're assigned to write to?

Posted by: Homepage at August 30, 2012 3:10 PM

Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

Posted by: online real estate at August 31, 2012 6:19 AM

Hey I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

Posted by: 5 per mille at August 31, 2012 11:31 AM

Got my first letter yesterday! Loved it. I feel like I am a aspect of something fantastic which is just starting to materialize. Feeling a strange sense of community around it all. Maybe you are on to something here! Who would have ever considered that people would in fact print out words on paper just to have it sent from the mail to another person's mailbox. Next thing you know, peoe will be growing their own food and walking or riding bikes everywhere. It'll by no means work, damn progress.

Posted by: Zada Logins at August 31, 2012 9:37 PM

Hi there i read through your web site usually and imagined i'd personally say all of the very best for 2010!

Posted by: Quentin Bejil at August 31, 2012 11:12 PM

we have 20 squidoo pages which are largely correlated to health and medicine. i enjoy making squidoo pages and sharing information ""`

Posted by: Cyril Jakovac at August 31, 2012 11:41 PM

that we write consist of keywords that search engines (M000018) -

Posted by: Mel Dekok at September 3, 2012 5:20 PM

Remember personal info?