Written Prelim Nirvana | Main | New! Signs of the Cities

Whoo hoo!

It seems that I have already gotten the all-important letter in the mail saying that I passed my written prelim exams! Somehow, it seems a little disappointing to get the letter already. I mean, I worked how long on that thing, and it only took them two weeks to read it and get back to me?

Okay, I'm not complaining...really, I'm not. I'm already moving on to think of the lovely next step--the oral exams. In my department, we write our potential literature review for the dissertation for the orals. I feel like I already have that part of the way done, but the key right now is to make sure my topic is really feasible. I'm meeting with my advisor tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post an update soon.

Posted by chri1010 at February 28, 2005 2:53 AM

Congrats, Laurene! I find it a little humorous that you seem to be upset with getting your results back so quickly. I teach a class at St. Kate's and if I don't have assignments back in a week I hear about it in my evaluations. Ha! Just be glad you are moving on to the next step. I'm sure you are.

Good luck on the orals!

Posted by: Shane at February 28, 2005 9:45 AM

Well, of course I'm also relieved to have the results back already, but given that several of us turned in these 30 page exams, I just want to make sure that they put in enough time reading it.

Posted by: Laurene at February 28, 2005 10:40 AM

Yikes! 30 pages? I can see why you want to make sure your work is read.

Posted by: Shane at February 28, 2005 11:34 AM

To have full disclosure here...30 pages plus 10 pages of appendices and I lost count of how many pages of references, but I counted them and they totaled 66! I would have much preferred to spend a morning locked in a little room writing until I felt like my fingers were going to cramp.

Posted by: Laurene at February 28, 2005 7:16 PM

I understand what you're saying about getting feedback perhaps too fast--Remember, it took 2 weeks to get BACK to you: W/all your faculty had to do in those two weeks, that means probably it took less than that to actually read! But look at it this way: your faculty probably have read so many of these things that they can tell pretty quickly when one is as stellar as yours! Good luck on the next phase: The momentum from here really will take on a life of its own.

Posted by: Yvette at March 11, 2005 8:28 AM

Remember personal info?