« Tag! I'm IT! | Main | Dear Secret Sock Pal, »

Is This Yarn Ugly?

My sock yarn came in the mail the other day, and for some reason, it underwhelms me. So, for some reason, I decided to try my hand at dyeing my own. I had a skein of KnitPicks Bare, and some Wilton food dye I picked up for the occasion. I read an article about dyeing yarn on Knitty, and got started. Some things I learned from this process:

1. It's probably best to stay far, far away from colors that have the potential to make brown on your first foray into dyeing. For awhile there, I had a bit of a brown thing going, but carefully averted it all by overdyeing into purple.

2. The more dye you use, the more intense the colors will be. I think it's going to take awhile for this lesson to sink in--I wasn't going for such deep colors.

3. Even when things don't work out, well, they might still work out. This yarn is NOT for my sock pal, but I think it's making a fine enough pair of socks for me.

my first sock yarn.jpg
Is this yarn ugly? I thought so at first, but I'm starting to warm up to it. It's like a berry compote explosion!

In other sock yarn news, my sock yarn really did arrive. I've neglected to post a picture until now because we misplaced the camera in the move. Sorry for the quality--it's the best I could do under the circumstances:

sock yarn choices
They are Great Adirondack Silky Sock in colorways Balsalm and Deep Blue Sea. I picked the Balsalm initially because my sock pal likes oranges and greens, but right now, I'm thinking it's not going to work well with Baudelaire. I'm leaning toward the Deep Blue Sea, but I'm also thinking about scraping it all and ordering some Socks That Rock Midsummers Night, Jade, or Rose Quartz.

What do you think?

Posted by chri1010 at May 24, 2007 10:29 PM | Because knitting rocks my socks!

I like the dyed yarn! It does look like a berry compote! Yum!

Posted by: Robyn Swords at May 24, 2007 11:04 PM

The Wilton dyes are more powerful than the average household dyes (well, at least more powerful than the McCormack liquid food coloring and KoolAid). It's really easy to put a lot more in there than you intended.

Your result looks great! I can see the bits of brown, so it reminds me less of the berry compote and more of one of the 'scrambled' berry pies (see the bits of pie crust sticking out). Definitely looks like tasty food!

Posted by: Seanna Lea at May 25, 2007 4:45 AM

I really like the flashes of bright green and white. It makes it interesting.

Posted by: Jennifer at May 25, 2007 8:11 AM

The color is beautifull, it remainds me winter evenings, when a shade of red can be seen on horizon, when sun is setting down. Its really peacefull combination what you got there.
I like it.

Posted by: muoriska at May 25, 2007 3:09 PM

I cant wait around to see the many quilts!

Posted by: Neil Rokisky at September 9, 2012 1:50 AM

I do not seem to possess the option to publish to folder'... Argh!! It's model 3.0.4 (601) ....

Posted by: Rob Oltmanns at September 9, 2012 1:08 PM

I have recently started a site, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.

Posted by: Chong Leyva at November 30, 2012 8:11 AM

Very well written post. It will be valuable to everyone who utilizes it, as well as me. Keep doing what you are doing - i will definitely read more posts.

Posted by: Andrew Marcucci at December 8, 2012 6:28 AM

Yo actualmente estoy corriendo dos blogs, uno es para el diseño y desarrollo y tengo un pagerank de 4 en él y tengo un montón de buenos artículos. . Y tengo otro blog donde tengo delirios, consejos de lozanía y la fotografía .. . ¿Debo fusionar o debo mantenerlo separar?.

Posted by: Home Page at December 27, 2012 7:29 PM

Regards for helping out, wonderful info. "Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained." by William Blake.

Posted by: sablon kaos at December 28, 2012 12:54 AM

As soon as I observed this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them. "The result justifies the deed." by Ovid.

Posted by: sablon kaos at December 28, 2012 2:12 AM

Muy buena inforacion. Encontre tu pagina hace como una semana y aqui estoy de vuelta. Muy buena

Posted by: mulheres gostosas at February 17, 2013 1:03 PM

p52cy8 Say, you got a nice blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.

Posted by: smashing top seo at November 2, 2013 5:12 AM

A round of applause for your blog. Keep writing.

Posted by: Adderall at November 19, 2013 8:28 PM

Major thankies for the article post.Thanks Again.

Posted by: Solar Sales Jobs at November 20, 2013 6:58 AM

Remember personal info?