When your sock pal is in California... | Main | No Baby This Time

I'm not a SockapaLOSER!

I was so worried I'd never finish my socks for my sock pal. Let's just say the last month or so has been not at all what I expected (details to come later, when I can say something more conclusive). Finally, a little over a week ago, I finished the second sock. I proudly blocked them, and delighted in my vision of me at the post office, sending them off to their waiting owner. But alas, there was a problem. One sock was about an inch longer than the other!

How could this happen?! I had been so careful with the second sock, measuring it up to the first over and over and over again. Now, if they were socks for my mother, she would wear them proudly, never minding that one sock was significantly longer than the other. My loving husband looked at them and said, "Oh, maybe she won't notice." Muggle! Of course a sock knitter would notice! And, I didn't go for his hopeful comment that maybe one leg is longer than the other, either.

After several long moment in the fetal position, I contemplated my choices. The way I saw it, I had three choices:

1. Knit a whole new pair of socks, this time much more carefully. This did not seem reasonable given it was already September and it had taken me all summer to knit one pair of socks. Chances are, no one would want their Sockapalooza socks to arrive in December.

2. Frog that long sock and start over. I had already been suffering a bit from Second Sock Syndrome, so the thought of knitting a whole other sock again did not sound like a good idea at all.

3. Give the socks to my mother, who would accept them graciously. Tell Alison I needed a sock savior. This option seemed the most reasonable, especially given the circumstances of the last month of so.

These choices did not seem so spectacular to me. How could I ever wear my socks from Nan--those gorgeous Monkeys in STR Downpour--if I did not send socks to my sock pal. And besides, I had two finished socks. It's not like I hadn't started yet, or something. I thought some more. I contemplated throwing my problem out here on the blogosphere, to see what suggestions I might get. Instead, it came to me in a flash--call my LYS! They would know what to do.

It turned out they had a free clinic that very day! I took my socks in, embarrassed to show them my mistake. Of course, I quickly lost that feeling when I saw that I was not alone and that there are other knitters out there with greater knitting problems than I. Plus, it didn't hurt that people admired my socks. The helpful knitter at the clinic observed that i had done an extra pattern repeat, and then she taught me how to do sock surgery. Yep, you guessed it (because you're much smarter than I am, and you already knew that I just needed to cut that extra pattern repeat right outta there). I would cut off the top and reknit the cuff.

Now, cutting one's knitting is not something to go into lightly. I practiced. And, I practiced. And, I worried too much about the fact that it was a lace pattern and what might happen if I cut the wrong row. In the end, it was all very simple (if you haven't had to take out several rows this way, I assure you, it IS very simple). The only minor issue is that the two cuffs look a little different, since one was a cast-on row and one ended up being a cast-off row. So, here they are, right before jumping into the package to go to my Sock Pal:

006_20A.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality. You can't really see the subtle variegation of green and yellow. It's a very pretty color, in my opinion. We have a habit of losing our digital camera, so this was the best I could do under the circumstances. The socks didn't turn out quite as great as I wanted them to, but hopefully my sock pal won't mind. The yarn is Yarni, a locally dyed yarn. I included another colorway of Yarni in the care package to my sock pal, so she can make another pair of Yarni socks if she wants.

Now, I can move on to other knitting, guilt-free. Or nearly guilt-free. There IS that thing called a dissertation to work on too.

Stay tuned for first day of kindergarten pics!

Posted by chri1010 at September 16, 2007 8:36 AM | Because knitting rocks my socks!

GOOD JOB. THEY LOOK GREAT.
I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF YOU WERE MY SOCK PAL.

Posted by: NAT?LIA at September 17, 2007 10:19 AM

The socks are beautiful. I am sure your sock pal will love it and will be enjoy being spoiled by you.

Posted by: Nan at September 17, 2007 11:53 AM

Thanks, Nan! But I have to say, they AREN'T as nice as the ones you made for me. That might be partly because STR is a slightly nicer sock yarn, but I think it's also because you're an excellent knitter!

Posted by: Minneapolismama at September 18, 2007 8:06 PM

Way to go! You are brave to cut your sock apart and sew it back together and resourceful to go to your LYS to get help doing it.

Posted by: Emmie at September 20, 2007 3:47 PM

Beautiful save! Not only did you finish your socks, you got to finish them with a story!

Posted by: Jennifer at September 21, 2007 7:42 AM

Wear Dress Penney Loafer And Dress Pants And Dress Socks And Dress Boxer Briefs And Dress Belt And Shirt From 7:am to 3:Pm From Monday To Friday

Posted by: Steve Fleisher at August 16, 2009 10:06 PM

No no, I liked your issue. I just really have to believe about it some additional!

Posted by: Cornell Buntenbach at December 15, 2012 10:44 AM

As soon as I discovered this web site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

Posted by: Mohammed Muehlman at December 17, 2012 9:06 AM

Finance is the art of passing currency from hand to hand until it finally disappears.

Posted by: Automotive Forum at December 18, 2012 4:50 AM

I want studying and I believe this website got some really utilitarian stuff on it!

Posted by: Kermit Brodersen at December 20, 2012 5:39 AM

The web site appears superb!!! Gives Thanks a lot for everything you've placed into it. Just when I remember the grouping couldn't get stronger, you detect ways to make it encounter!

Posted by: bedrooms trailer at December 20, 2012 7:04 AM

I don't usually comment but I gotta admit thank you for the post on this special one :D.

Posted by: Christopher at December 25, 2012 3:13 AM

Keep up the good piece of work, I read few posts on this website and I think that your web blog is really interesting and contains sets of fantastic info .

Posted by: sablon kaos at December 26, 2012 4:15 AM

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful info to work on. You've done a formidable job and our entire group will probably be thankful to you.

Posted by: sablon kaos at December 26, 2012 4:40 AM

I like this blog its a master peace ! Glad I detected this on google. "Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic." by Dan Rather.

Posted by: sablon kaos at December 26, 2012 5:18 AM

Outstanding information it is without doubt. We have been looking for this info.

Posted by: Whitney Demeo at December 27, 2012 10:44 PM

Would love to constantly get updated great website!

Posted by: Dawne Golojuch at December 28, 2012 2:52 PM

Good job once again! Thumbs up.

Posted by: Bud Badman at December 30, 2012 4:07 PM

I appreciated the section from the beginning in which you presented the central point and made a few excellent cases.

Posted by: link at January 26, 2013 7:53 AM

There are other ways to look at the material than the some that were mentioned. I must explain that you have greater information than me.

Posted by: see at February 13, 2013 2:12 AM

A documented read: graffiti

Posted by: Richard Peckler at July 24, 2013 11:54 PM

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Posted by: schools childrens at August 5, 2013 8:13 PM

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

Posted by: automotive at August 15, 2013 12:50 PM

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

Posted by: automotive at August 15, 2013 1:21 PM

Posted by: automotive at August 16, 2013 5:08 AM

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: business and finance at August 17, 2013 2:10 AM

Posted by: business and finance at August 17, 2013 2:41 AM

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Posted by: automotive at August 17, 2013 8:26 AM

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Posted by: automotive at August 21, 2013 2:34 PM

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

Posted by: japan at August 21, 2013 8:45 PM

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Posted by: business and finance at August 21, 2013 11:04 PM

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Posted by: business and finance at August 22, 2013 1:43 AM

The documented old school: Click Here.

Posted by: Vickie Hane at September 15, 2013 5:23 PM

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
カシオ http://時計jp.seesaa.net

Posted by: カシオ at September 25, 2013 6:29 AM

I'm not sure why but this site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.
スニーカー レディース http://スニーカーjp.seesaa.net

Posted by: スニーカー レディース at September 25, 2013 6:56 AM

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent, as well as the content!. Thanks For Your article about Winter in the Cities: I'm not a SockapaLOSER! .

Posted by: Jerrold Mahalko at September 26, 2013 2:33 PM

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks
カシオ 電波時計 http://カシオ15.seesaa.net/

Posted by: カシオ 電波時計 at September 27, 2013 12:59 PM

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.
カシオ 電波時計 http://カシオ6jp.seesaa.net/

Posted by: カシオ 電波時計 at September 27, 2013 1:00 PM

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!
カシオ 電波時計 http://casionet.seesaa.net/

Posted by: カシオ 電波時計 at September 27, 2013 7:24 PM

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all. But think of if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this blog could certainly be one of the very best in its niche. Very good blog!
カシオ 腕時計 http://カシオ13.seesaa.net/

Posted by: カシオ 腕時計 at September 29, 2013 6:59 PM

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks
g shock 人気 http://カシオg-shock.seesaa.net/

Posted by: g shock 人気 at September 29, 2013 7:19 PM

I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.
ディーゼル 腕時計 楽天 http://growingscholars.com/webalizer/images/nihon_outlet12.html

Posted by: ディーゼル 腕時計 楽天 at October 13, 2013 4:20 AM

Howdy! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Many thanks!
ブーツ 激安 http://boots.fenyastravels.com/

Posted by: ブーツ 激安 at October 16, 2013 1:53 PM

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Cheers
スラックス http://suit.codfaqs.com

Posted by: スラックス at October 16, 2013 1:53 PM

You are a very capable person!

Posted by: minimal music free at December 9, 2013 8:36 AM

That i select the timeless 868062.pink2.net when i adore and still have for a long.. a year ago this breadmaker few the baily switches... Really do desire individuals... tiny bigger your common and merely dilemma is the top part establishes right down... This halloween season as far back as a new timeless classics !!!!

Posted by: 868062.pink2.net at April 19, 2014 7:41 AM

They had been completly really worth [$] and was the only 24668.pink2.net That i used inside the evening Because of Cold months

Posted by: 24668.pink2.net at April 19, 2014 8:09 AM

Remember personal info?