December 2005 | Main | February 2006

Back doing something again

Winter break is almost over, and as it's coming to an end, I'm not sure how to sum it up. In some ways, it was very, very restful. We got in that triple feature, and I also managed to do quite a bit of crocheting, something I find I work on madly during the break, but don't really have much time for otherwise. On the other hand, this break is coming to a close a lot faster than I'm really prepared for. I really want one more week--don't we all?

As this break is winding down, I'm realizing there are some accomplishments to be noted. My prospectus meeting is back on, and I think that the issues plaguing my research design have been (hopefully) resolved. I'm now registered for my last semester ever: two classes that are on my degree plan plus the final 8 thesis credits I need. Yup, it's the end! (Okay, so I think I have to register for something the semester I finish, which isn't likely to be this one, but that's only a technicality). Another job application in the mail. Now I just have to finalize my syllabi, which always seems like a never-ending process.

Even though January is always the heart of winter, I always find it to be a transitional space for me. We've passed that point where the days are getting continually shorter and darkness comes so early. Now, we're back on the other side, with days getting longer and longer. Each day of 30 degree weather is one less potential day of 30 below, although I think those days are still ahead, bound to get squeezed in between now and April.

Although I'm somewhat reluctant to let this break go, I also feel excited for what lies ahead. It's a lot of unknown, for sure. But, I'm eager for discovery.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:57 AM | Comments (391)

Triple Feature!!

Today, I accomplished a personal goal--three movies in one day! I've never been one to go to the movies much, so this may be no big deal to most people. But for me, this was an accomplishment! We took advantage of the university being closed (no work today) and J's childcare center being open. In order to get three movies squeezed in before picking up J, we had some limits to our choices. We saw Brokeback Mountain at 10, Memoirs of a Geisha at 12:30 (both at Crossroads) and then a quick trip over to Har Mar for Harry Potter at 2:50. Done by 5:30. I want Planet Walt to know that we didn't sneak into the second feature (even though we should have). Instead, we got into the first film for free because it was listed, even though the theater wasn't planning to open until noon. I guess they didn't have someone to sell tickets. After three movies, coming out of the theater to darkness was really depressing. But it was a fun day!

Posted by chri1010 at 8:46 PM | Comments (580)