May 2006 | Main | July 2006

What a surprise...

I'm a postmodernist. Who knew?!

You scored as Postmodernist. Postmodernism
is the belief in complete open
interpretation. You see the
universe as a collection of information
with varying ways of putting it together.
There is no absolute truth for you;
even the most hardened facts are open to
interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the
language you use to describe things
should be subject to analysis.

Postmodernist

81%

Cultural Creative

75%

Modernist

50%

Existentialist

50%

Materialist

50%

Idealist

31%

Fundamentalist

25%

Romanticist

19%

What is Your World View? (updated)
created with QuizFarm.com

Posted by chri1010 at 9:46 AM | Comments (1235)

Sock it to me: A worthy distraction

So, the dissertation has been going somewhat s-l-o-w-l-y. Truth be told, May was a tough month; so tough, I'm still figuring out it isn't May anymore. Here are three good reasons why I haven't been fully engaged in the A** to Chair method:

1. I have had a nasty cold that had me down for three full weeks. Still on the mend...
2. A lovely grad school rule leaves my committee plans up in the air. I need to meet with my advisor, but unfortunately, he's been gone and I've been sick. Excuses, I know, but sometimes an excuse is a good thing because...
3. J has been having a bit of difficulty at preschool, and more than what might be typical developmental growing pains. He goes to a great school, and we're grateful for all they do for him. It's very hard for us because he kicks, bites, hits, and spits pretty regularly there, and at home, he's pretty much a typical kid with some quirks that by themselves aren't particuarly quirky (strong food preferences, sensitivity to sounds, liking to wear long sleeves even in the summer). He's obsessed with dinosaurs and building things, and his cognitive and language development are pretty high. I sound so clinical about all of this, but I guess that's because we've already been through countless meetings with daycare staff, so-called child development specialists, and our family doctor. We've shed a few tears, lost a lot of sleep, and spent enough time being angry. The bottom line is it seems like J probably has the characteristics of someone with high-functioning autism, or likely Asperger's. I'm still feeling resistant to labels at this point, but as the summer continues I imagine that things will become a little more clear as we seek further information from specialists and try to do what's right for J. No one said parenting would be easy.

So, the stress. I've taken up knitting recently, hearing that knitting can be akin to yoga for its mediative qualities, I've been giving myself permission to knit. I've made a surprisingly lot of things already: mittens, felted mittens, baby hats, booties, felted hats....Well, now I've taken up socks and I find knitting socks surprisingly satisfying. Maybe I'll post a few here. And, eventually, I'll get back to that thing called a dissertation.

Posted by chri1010 at 8:55 PM | Comments (1635)