September 2007 | Main | November 2007

Socktoberfest Blues

Last week Monday, I turned in a HUGE consulting project that I'm oh, so glad to be done with. Writing deadlines just make me want to knit more, and more knitting means no writing was getting done for awhile. No writing meant lots of scrambling and sleepless nights before the big deadline, but now it's done. Turned in. And the knitting has begun.

I spent the first day of increased freedom reorganizing my stash. We moved somewhat recently, and in our new place, we have a little alcove area in our bedroom that hubby thought would make a great "Knit Nook." That's right--it was HIS idea! I have it set up with a comfy chair, a lamp, a table, and a nice rug. And, so far, my stash has not outgrown that space, and it probably won't for a long time.

In reorganizing, I found some socks that had been forgotten. A pair partly done, using Regia bamboo. Another pair of koigu that may never be finished (I knit the first one way too big, and frogged it and started over. At this point, I'm not done with the new first sock.) I finished the Regia bamboo sock, and struggled to find the remaining yarn for the second sock. Oh, do I ever have Second Sock Syndrome! I don't want to keep knitting another boring blue bamboo sock, when I could be doing something much more exciting. Like what?

Like making baby hats. Baby hats are the world's most perfect knit. They can be made with sock yarn. They are needed and appreciated. They don't take long to make. AND, best of all--you don't need to knit two! I have made three baby hats in the last week. I've been slowly knitting on a pair of socks, but baby hats--that's where it's AT!

So, what AM I going to do about that Socktoberfest KAL I signed up for? Make baby socks, of course!

Posted by chri1010 at 9:43 AM | Comments (692)

Writing Pains...

Sometimes I hate writing. Sometimes it just feels so darn tedious. Right now is one of those times. Big deadline looming, which is good, because then I get get this writing done and over with. But, in the moment, I'm suffering a little. I can't wait to be done, so I can knit. Oh, yeah, and dissertate. That too. Stay tuned.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:40 PM | Comments (818)

Happiness is...

Mutsumi 3.JPG

A happy baby wearing the sweater you knit her. And, happiness is the sweater arriving before she grew out of it, too!

Posted by chri1010 at 9:32 AM | Comments (697)

Don't Cast On During Take-Off

So, I've been doing a lot of travel for work lately. In the last few months, I've been to Nashville, Atlantic City, DC, Nashua, and Salt Lake City. In the next few months, I'll be going to Dallas, DC, a place yet to be determined, New York City, Boston, DC, and Orlando. [Notice I seem to go to DC a lot?] I didn't even have a worldperks account before I got this job. Now, I'm racking up the frequent flier miles.

Flying is something I could take or leave. I don't hate it, but it's not my favorite thing either. I dislike the cramped quarters, people who insist on reclining the seat in front of me, people who think that just because I'm sitting next to them that means I should want to talk to them, and fact that airplanes are not a place I can get work done. Before I learned to knit, I would buy a trashy magazine and flip through it, counting down the minutes until the landing.

Then I learned to knit. Then, I learned to knit socks, and I figured out that socks are a great project to bring on an airplane. The first time I took my project through security, I was SO worried I'd have to give up my needles. I tried researching online, but frankly, it doesn't seem like there really was a clear answer anywhere about knitting needles and security. So, I brought bamboo needles, and hoped I would not have to give them up (I didn't).

Several flights later, I've gotten pretty bold. On the flight to/from Nashua, I brought Addi Turbo lace needles on board. Now, common sense might suggest that it would be a real shame if I ever did have to surrender them to the TSA, but I was feeling risky. And nothing happened. By nothing, I am NOT referring to the several rows of knitting I got done on the plane. So this time, I started using Addi Turbos to knit socks on circular needles (I'm trying it for the first time and LOVING it!).

While in Salt Lake, I decided my pattern wasn't working out with the yarn. The yarn is lovely, but--have you ever had a yarn that was too strong for nearly any pattern but a boring rib or stockinette? So, I decided to start over.

Fast forward to the airplane. There I am, fumbling with not one circular needle, but two circulars, trying to cast on. I'm hoping I don't drop a set (cuz, will I really ever be able to retrieve something dropped on an airplane? Ever?). Needle points are flailing about like octopus tentacles, and the flight attendant walks by, doing her routine check. The look on her face says, "The TSA let you on with those?" and she calmly says, "Could you put those away during take-off?"

Of course I did. But I wish I had asked why she didn't have more faith in the pilot.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:42 PM | Comments (1692)