October 2008 | Main | December 2008

apparently I shouldn't have asked....

OB visit went well, and my c-section is being scheduled for January 15th. Yay! The ultrasound went well, and the baby performed the requisite number of tricks in the time allotted. That's the end of the good news.

We went out to celebrate my birthday, and I successfully had a lovely dinner that resulted in a 2-hour post meal blood glucose of 92 (yay--I guess this counts as the good news). When we got home, our son started vomiting, and by 7:30am, so was I. For the record, its a GI virus going around, not anything we ate. Our son was not feeling well at the restaurant and didn't even eat anything.

I threw up something like 13 times yesterday. I couldn't keep anything down: no jello, no popsicles, no water. I finally got smart and called the OB on call, and we headed in to the hospital for IV fluids. The nurse assured me I would be there for one bag of fluids and then be sent home. Yeah, right.

I was so sick, I ended up spending the night for more fluids and two rounds of potassium. I'm feeling MUCH better now, although this sure wasn't the way I thought I'd get a tour of the labor and delivery unit of the hospital.

And the next time I think about asking, what next?!, I think I'll just remember not to ask. I just might not want the answer.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:22 PM | Comments (519)

I might be asking, what next?

So I thought I had this whole gestational diabetes, insulin shots, low-carb food plan thing all figured out. Sure, the fasting levels are NEVER going to be right, and I'm now taking insulin shots in mega-doses. So much so, I actually went to the pharmacy and got bigger needles. I figured if I am going to pump that much insulin into my body at one time, I want to know it's going in there deep.

Anyway, Friday I came down with a horrible, horrible cold that's been going around here. It's now Monday, and I still feel like crap. I didn't know it was possible to have a runny nose and a stuffy nose at the same time, but apparently it is. My nasal passages are burning like crazy, and I'm tired of sneezing.

Needless to say, it's a wee bit of a challenge to eat 6 small meals a day, test your blood sugar regularly, and stay on track with insulin injections when all you really want to do is drink water, sleep, and watch bad tv. The cold is temporary, I know. As is the pregnancy, for that matter. But, I'm really looking forward to this cold taking a hike so I can get back to my good routine and stay on track.

I see my OB tomorrow, and on Wednesday we have the first of our weekly ultrasounds. Hopefully all will go well. I think it will.

Posted by chri1010 at 10:33 PM | Comments (681)

Never give yourself an insulin shot while you're upset with your kid

So C is in Hawai'i for a week's worth of work (nevermind that includes time to hike Diamondhead and possibly learn to surf) and I am home, single parenting and anticipating freezing rain and snow. Sometimes the universe really isn't fair.

Last night, I was trying to build a fire in the wood stove in order to warm things up a bit, and trying to figure out what lovely low-carb feast I would quickly whip up for myself, and the kid (J) was supposed to be working on his homework. In fact, he was playing with Pokemon and watching old episodes of Peep and the Big Wide World. And I was doing a terrible job of enforcing the homework getting done.

He had all the excuses. He couldn't find a pencil. Yeah right. The homework was too hard. Yeah right. Then he broke down and told the truth: I don't want to do it. Well, do it anyway, kid. My blood sugar's about to crash and I need to figure out something for my dinner (he had already eaten).

This went on for some time. Eventually I had an excellent low carb meal, a very slow burning fire in the wood stove that was definitely not warming anything up at all, and the space heater plugged in. Time for the mega insulin shot of the night.

Of course, that was also the time that J made one last bid to NOT do his homework. This time, to let me know just how much he didn't want to do it, he kicked a knitted ball at me, which knocked my insulin pen onto the floor! Needless to say, I was a little less than happy, and he was in bed for the night, with his homework yet unfinished, and big tears streaming down his face.

I was a little shaken by the whole event, and for the first time, I found myself accidentally pulling the needle out well before I had delivered the full dose. Hopefully there was no problem in just sticking it back in again and finishing the job. I probably lost a little along the way, but no matter. My fasting, still high, was lower than it's been in DAYS. And J's homework is now done and things are all better.

Now just five more days before C comes home! He better bring good presents back from Hawai'i! ;-)

Posted by chri1010 at 10:25 AM | Comments (830)

to the journey

So, I was whining to a friend that I'm just impatient for January. I want this pregnancy thing to be over, to have my baby in my arms and know she's happy and healthy as can be and all that. And my friend said, "how many times are you planning on doing this? Find the place inside of you that is enjoying being pregnant and tell her thanks! Do you want to strangle me?" And yes, I DID want to strangle her! So I wrote her this crazy email saying woe is me, gestational diabetes, blah blah blah, and then I sent it, and then I sent her another email and apologized.

I realized, yeah, this gestational diabetes thing sucks. But, actually, I'm finally feeling SO MUCH BETTER! A month ago, I spent most of the weekend in bed because I was just too tired to do anything else. Flash forward to yesterday: up at 6:30, out of the house by 10:30, a trip to IKEA to buy some couches, then Goodwill to get rid of the ratty old chairs the couches are replacing, a long shopping trip at Super Target, put groceries away, made dinner, watched Sunday night football. No nap in there even! I guess that's what insulin can do to a person--why didn't I have it sooner? (on a separate note--isn't it a little too soon to be nesting like this?!)

So, I'm not sure there's really that much to complain about, except that the levels seem to never be quite what I'd like them to be. Two good mornings of fasting readings below 95, and then today--back up to 103. But at least it's not 123, and hey, I was still able to get out of the house on time, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

At any rate, insulin sure makes it easier to enjoy the ride.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:50 AM | Comments (711)