December 2008 | Main | February 2009

Welcome to the blogosphere, baby S!

SNC00015.jpg

Baby Sigrid was born on January 8th, 2009 at 3:26am. She weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces (much less than most of you guessed, by the way!!) and is 20 1/4 inches long. She's got the tiniest longest fingers I've ever seen, and super long feet with long toes!

We're home from the hospital, and doing well. More on the birth story--the planned c-section that turned out to be not quite so planned--soon. We're still busy snuggling.

Posted by chri1010 at 10:38 PM | Comments (1484)

times, they are a-changin'

So I'm just hanging out, waiting for the baby to make her way into the world. I'm feeling a little less impatient (just remind me that life will NEVER be the same when the baby is born, and that'll slow me down!). Someone asked me recently how things seem to have changed in the world of babydom since J was born back in 2001. So, here's some things I've noticed. Some of these things may be regional differences, since J was born in another state far away from here. These are in no order, and in many ways, are an odd collection of things.

1. I mentioned this in a previous post, but there are hardly ANY truly gender-neutral clothes these days. Wow, the amount of pink for girls and blue for boys is overwhelming.

2. Similarly, there were absolutely NO gender neutral baby shower decorations at the party store when I shopped with a friend. What do people who are keeping it a surprise do in these circumstances?

3. Cord blood banking. It was a little known concept back in 2001, but now there's tons of ads for it everywhere. I'm still glad we're donating the cord blood to medical research.

4. Strep B tests. I think this is a newer test they do toward the end of pregnancy. Maybe I just don't remember it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have one the first time around. On the other hand, the first time, they were insistent on an HIV test, and this time, they didn't even ask about it. But, don't think it's because I had one the first time--I've never had my old records transferred, so my new clinic doesn't even know about the old test.

5. Playards with more bells and whistles. I think the whole idea of using a playard for a baby bed was relatively new when J was born, but now it seems pretty standard. They sure come with a lot of features, and the one we bought for the new baby seems pretty darn big, too.

6. Travel systems (stroller/car seat combo) seem smaller and better made. We were hoping not to have to buy one of these again, but we accidentally sent the car seat base off to the junkyard with the old car it was in. Opps! I'm glad we got a new one, though, because the car seat seems nicer (especially the infant insert part), and the stroller is much more compact and easier to set up/take down.

7. You can buy a breast pump at Target. The first time round, I had to buy mine from a lactation consultant. It's so much nicer to be able to shop around easily, and to get the accessory pieces at Target (or anywhere else for that matter). This one really shows how much more supported breast feeding is these days.

8. Plus sized maternity clothes have improved. Of course, I think if you look over time, ALL maternity clothes keep improving, but the availability of plus-sized maternity clothes has really changed. The first time, I got all of my clothes though the JCPenney catalog, and although there were a couple of cute things, there were many things that were downright hideous. Not to mention that I was pretty well stuck with knit pants. But, this time, there are so many more choices, and I love my maternity jeans!

9. Better baby carriers. I think online shopping is partly responsible for this one, because it seems like there's better competition among manufacturers to make a good baby carrier. Our Ergo baby carrier is set to arrive any day, and I can't wait!

10. This one might be all in my head, or it might just be the blogs I read, but it also seems like co-sleeping is more acceptable (or at least discussed more positively) than it was in 2001. I remember first talking to a coworker, who coslept with her two kids, and we definitely felt like we were talking in secret about it. At the time, I wasn't planning to co-sleep, but frankly, having a baby with a medical condition, it was just so much easier. With this one, we're trying out the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper to start with, and we'll see how it goes.

So, those are things I've noticed. What are some changes you've seen over time?

Posted by chri1010 at 8:10 PM | Comments (1711)