February 2009 | Main | April 2009

Isn't She Lovely?

I'm sort of struck at random times during the day that right after S was born, the song "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder was playing overhead. Part of me figures they do that every time a little girl is born (just like in that hospital they sound a chime whenever a baby is born), and there's some boy equivalent. But, I'd rather believe it was just an incredible coincidence. I tell baby S that it's her song because she IS lovely.

Right now, in fact, she's cuddled asleep on my chest, and life is bliss.

DSC00621.JPG

Posted by chri1010 at 7:40 PM | Comments (1062)

Stuff I Like

I should admit that I'm doing rather well with this whole postpartum thing. I've lost around 50 pounds, give or take a few. In fact, I'm having to buy new clothes as my pre-baby clothes don't much fit me anymore. Bummer for me, eh? I've got increased energy like I didn't know I could have. I've been walking lots, and feeling good. My head is clear, and [gasp] I've been working on my dissertation. Yup. It's true. In fact, right now I'm taking some time out from the ol' diss to write this posting. I'm hoping to have a prospectus meeting sometime soon, and maybe finish the whole thing off this summer at the latest.

I've accomplished other things too, including knitting. Yeah, once upon a time I used to write about knitting on this blog. It's been awhile, I admit. But that doesn't mean I haven't been knitting. Before baby S was born, I finished her log-cabin baby blanket. It's made in Cascade Luna, which is one of my favorite yarns ever. Someone told me it looks like ice cream, and I think that's a great way to describe it:

100_2094.JPG

This was the perfect project for me because there weren't really any directions to follow. You just garter stitch in one color as long as you like, then bind off, turn the project to the right, and begin with a new color. You keep going around to the right the whole time, and it gets bigger before you know it. And now, it's a soft blankie for S! I love it!

I also finished a pair of socks recently. I started these right before I found out I was pregnant with S. I think the motto with these was "slow and steady wins the race." I love to knit socks, but I was really distracted with other things. Then, I realized I wanted to knit something for my OB. At first, I wanted to make her mittens because S was born in January and I thought that would be cool. But, then the doctor told me that when they are on call, socks are one of the only ways they can express their individuality. I asked her what her favorite color was, and she said green. I immediately thought of these socks, as they fit my doctor's personality, too. I'm not sure what I mean by that, but I gave them to her the other day, and I think she liked them:

100_2224.JPG
They were my first attempt at dyeing sock yarn, and I think they turned out terrific! I was surprised and pleased at how much they almost striped, as I wasn't trying to make self-striping yarn. I love the effect, though, and I'm glad I still have yarn left enough to maybe make S a little hat or something.

And finally, I have to end with a picture of baby S. I am more in love with her every minute!! She was so alert and interested when I was taking her picture today. There was sun streaming in the window, and she was so curious about it. I think that's what she's looking at in this picture. I LOVE this picture--I love the intensity of her look. She's such an awesome baby!

100_2238.JPG

Posted by chri1010 at 12:27 AM | Comments (1249)