March 2009 | Main | May 2009

Oh, the complete cuteness!

Posted by chri1010 at 12:27 AM | Comments (1333)

Growing up so fast!

Baby S is three months and three weeks old. She can do these things (and others, I'm sure):

1. Hold her head up. She's been doing this all along, but I thought I'd mention it. The nurses in the hospital commented on it!

2. Roll over, both ways.

3. Sit up with props. She's working on sitting up without props, and if you count a few seconds, she can do it by herself.

4. Stand with support.

5. Oh, and she has said, "mama" twice. The doctor says it counts.

Slow down, little girl! We can't keep up with ya!

DSC00878.JPG

Posted by chri1010 at 7:09 PM | Comments (3780)

Back in the cities again

So, we're back in the cities after a very wonderful trip to the NW for nine days. Baby S traveled very well, even if her parents didn't do so well on the way out there. Let's just say that sleep deprivation and a VERY VERY cranky gate attendant are a very bad combo. Unfortunately pretty much everyone on the flight out thought bad things about us! Oh well! The way back was much better.

Baby S is an excellent traveler. Except for one challenging night when she didn't want to sleep very much (it's a little stressful in a hotel room!), she was a real trooper! Unfortunately, she came back with a cold, and the travel turned it into an ear infection, but she's got antibiotics now, and it's all under control.

We got to see lots of friends in Portland, and I was truly struck by how our friends have all had kids! J had so many new buddies to get to know, and he had a really good time there. It's nice to go to a place where you feel like you can always pick up where you left off.

Posted by chri1010 at 4:06 PM | Comments (1673)

Random Monday

So it seems that baby S is a little lactose intolerant. I found this out awhile back, but it, like everything else, took time to really know for sure. Before our big trip to the NW, I asked my mom if we should try soy formula. NO! was her emphatic response, and even though I still don't know why she was so strong-minded, I decided to listen to her for once. Now, my mom is here for a visit, and she was here less than 24 hours when she decided we should talk to the doctor about soy formula. So it goes.

Baby S has been taking soy formula for several days now, and she seems to be doing well on it. Her appetite has increased, and she's able to eat more ounces in a sitting (finally). Now that she's eating formula better, I'm starting to think our time of nursing is truly coming to its logical ending. We're nursing pretty much only in the overnights. I'm not sure how long my body will sustain that kind of thing, but as long as it will, we will. It seems she still likes it, and so do I. But, I'm noticing less of an urgency to pump and/or feed her during the day. But, at this point, I've really mellowed into motherhood, so we'll just have to see where the ride will take us.

On a separate note, does anyone else have a 7 year old who hates to do his homework? I truly hate this age, and its avoiding homework crap. Any strategies, success stories or otherwise are much welcomed.

Posted by chri1010 at 1:43 PM | Comments (2922)

Have Family, Will Travel

The other day, we packed up this little family of ours and flew to the Pacific NW for a little visit. Truth be told, we're here in Seattle right now for a conference, but before that, we took a little side trip to Portland for a visit with friends. I'm not sure I'm enjoying the rain and the cold so much right now, but overall we're having a really good time. Here's five things I've learned while on this journey:

1. Baby S travels really, really well. She's stayed on her fantastic sleep schedule (did I mention that this baby knows how to sleep at night?!), and she's not been crying too much in the hotel room (yay!).

2. J knows how to swim. Somehow that one escaped me, but he's taking to our hotel pool like a fish. It's really fun to watch.

3. A hubby with a yet-untreated chronic condition (more on that sometime soon) doesn't mix too well with an NWA flight attendant having a bad day. Wow. A whole planeload of people thing he's a total asshole, when in fact the opposite is true. The more I think about the whole thing, the more I can't believe it, but at least they didn't kick him off the flight. They only threatened to.

4. Old friends only get better. I've got some terrific friends in Portland, and I had the best time with them this weekend. It was pretty fun to realize that we've all got kids of one age or another, and they were all playing together and having a good time.

5. My home is in Minneapolis. This one has taken awhile in coming, but I really do feel settled there now. I felt like a visitor to Portland. It's not my Safeway anymore. I miss it all, but I'm glad for what I've got, even if it does include a big ol' pile of snow.

Posted by chri1010 at 11:16 PM | Comments (3247)