June 2009 | Main | August 2009

Update, update; or, the 3rd time's the charm; or, this one should last ya a few days, anyway

Isn't it funny how when you're feeling the postpartum hormones, you think you're not feeling any hormones, but then, as they slowly return to slightly more normal, you suddenly realize that four months ago, you were a raving lunatic, and you can probably blame it all on the postpartum hormones? I can already hear my friend K (and K, I know you're reading this, so "hi, K!") saying, "I told you so!" Well, yes, maybe you did, but wow, those hormones are something. They knock you over on your butt and you didn't even know they hit you. Although, the pronouncement "let's have another baby" about 6 hours after baby S's arrival should have been a clue.

Baby S and I are pleased to report that we're still successfully nursing in the evening and overnight hours. I'm honestly a little surprised how well this has all worked out. Every once in awhile, I think if I worked at it, I could probably bring my milk supply up, but then I think, why bother? Why fix something that isn't broken? (and, if YOU think it's broken, no need to tell me so!)

J had his big old 8th birthday this last week. I still woke up in the middle of the night to celebrate his birth, which, of course, was in the middle of the night because apparently that's when my children are born. He decided to have a low-key sort of birthday/surprise party this year, except that the surprise was that he didn't want his friends to know it was his birthday. So they got to our house for the little outing, and J announced, "surprise! it's my birthday!!" By then, he didn't care that they didn't bring presents because we'd been celebrating his birthday all week anyway.

[What follows next is an odd collection of photos--I was trying to find this first one, but I kept uploading the wrong one because my computer wouldn't show me the thumbnail, and I was too impatient to do anything else but guess. It's one of those days I suppose.]

Here are J and S, doing what sibs do best:DSC01157.JPG

DSC01268.JPGAnd, this is Domo, who has recently taken up residence at our house. I believe that he has become a way of externalizing all of the crap that C is putting up with from the arthritis (see more below). At any rate, sometimes Domo kicks C's butt, and makes us all laugh, and sometimes we can't wait to toss Domo out in the snow bank (but there's no snow yet, thankfully)

And here is S, with her Papa: DSC01256.JPG If you've been following things of late, it turns out that Papa (AKA, C) has a fairly significant form of arthritis, and his is situated in the lower back. He's getting treatment, but it takes awhile to take effect, and I am amazed by his ability to withstand so much pain everyday, as well as the side effects from the medication he's taking to alleviate the pain. This is not an easy journey, and not one he should be experiencing so young. There's still a little more to his story yet unknown, but we have more adventures in store before we'll be able to tell those tales, so stay tuned, I guess.

I think my mother is tired of me remarking on how long S seems. She really is a rather tall baby. At six months, she can already fit into her size 12 month onesies, and other things that ideally would be lasting for several more months or weeks at least, are clearly not going to be fitting for much longer at all.

She's working on the crawl these days, and this is very new to us. With J (who had a medical condition, including a colostomy bag on his abdomen), we never really had the crawl, and I didn't notice it until now. S is a VERY active baby! And, she is slowly working on the crawl, but I figure we'd better enjoy it while we can ("it" being that she's not really that mobile yet) because the time will come soon when we'll all need to look out.

J especially. We keep asking him to take care of his legos, but they remain everywhere. I've come to believe that legos just become part of the fabric of one's house. I mean, maybe someday I won't have legos...nah. I'm sure there'll always be one in the carpet, and one in the couch somewhere, and one tucked into the furnace grating. I just hope baby S doesn't ingest very many. Is that really too much to ask?

Posted by chri1010 at 9:43 PM | Comments (1805)

Can someone please just push the pause button already?

It's not supposed to be July, and the month is practically half over already!! I've got too much stuff to do, and not enough time to get it done. My night owl nature is hampered by a baby who thinks she needs to go to sleep at 830. And, so far, she's been going to sleep nursing, although maybe that's gonna change soon. We'll see. I think I could easily be one of those mamas who thinks she's gonna give up this nursing thing, and I'll say that for months, even years, and I'll still be nursing. Or, I might quit tomorrow. Na, not tomorrow.

I didn't go to my class reunion. If you went to my class reunion and you somehow found my blog via my Facebook page, and you somehow cared about me and what I'm up to enough to actually read my blog, well, then please leave a comment so I know you care. Because most of my friends from high school also did not go to the reunion. A few of you read this blog, and I know you didn't go (hi, Kay...I know you're lurking out there, and I'm glad of it). I don't know why you didn't go to the reunion but I know why I didn't go. I don't think much has changed since 1989 for many of the people in my high school class, and I'm not sure I have much in common with very many of them. Individually, a lot of the people I went to school with are nice enough people. Most of them didn't really give me much thought when I was in high school. I was kind of geeky smart and a little socially awkward, and maybe a little shy too. At any rate, I've looked at the pictures from Facebook, and I'm glad I didn't go. I'm glad I didn't take the opportunity to feel on the margins one more time. To feel excluded. To still have absolutely nothing to talk about with most people because I don't like beer.

I am, though, going to visit one of my high school friends tomorrow. She lives a little ways away from me, and she makes and sells girls dresses. The pictures of her dresses don't do them justice. They are adorable on, and every little girl I've ever given one to has not wanted to take it off. I'm looking forward to seeing her, and spending time with her twin boys and daughter. We don't so much talk about the good old days because we weren't actually that close in high school. But we have grown closer over the years, and she's a great friend. So, no need to reunion.

I'm curious, though, if you're reading this for whatever reason, did you go to your last high school reunion? Do you think you'll go to the next one? Why or why not?

Posted by chri1010 at 11:09 PM | Comments (837)

Baby S is 6 Months Old

In some ways, it seems like just yesterday I was still pregnant and so very impatient to have this baby. Remember that? Of course you do! You were telling me to stop being so impatient, and she would come when she was ready.

And then she was ready. And then we dealt with some things like her being tongue tied and me not having that much of a milk supply. But it seems that these days we're still nursing successfully at night. That's the best time to not be making up bottles, I tell ya.

We've gone to visit grandma once, and grandma's come here a couple times. For the first six months, I think we've done okay.
100_1500.JPG

All along, I've been dissertating and knitting, even if I haven't mentioned it so much here. I'm making slow but steady progress on my research, and still hoping to be done sometime in the fall. Although fall will be here before I know it! And I have some knit projects to show off sometime soon, too. I'm getting stuff done!

Here's to you, baby S! Keep growing and being the wonderful baby that you are! I love you little one!!

Posted by chri1010 at 12:13 AM | Comments (543)

Three of my favorite people

Jurgen, Papa, & Sigrid 070109.JPG

total eye candy!

Posted by chri1010 at 7:38 PM | Comments (1679)