November 2009 | Main | January 2010

Done, and done!!

Well, things never go exactly as planned, do they? When I was entering the data for my dissertation, I didn't really think that 22 days later, I would have defended my dissertation and now be Dr. Minneapolismama. But, I did, and I am.

I'm still taking it all in. The speed in which things happened had more to do with my adviser, than with me, although I'm certainly glad to be done. My adviser is going on phased retirement, and he will be in California for spring semester. I'll be surprised if he's around for graduation, although maybe he'll be back in Minnesota by May. But anyway, he figured, let's get this thing done before he leaves. So we did.

Now that I'm done, what next? Well, I'm happy with my job, so no changes there. I'm going to start sewing--something I've wanted to learn for some time. And, I'm planning to spend a weekend on a lake in Minnesota at some point as a little reward. That's about it.

Posted by chri1010 at 9:33 PM | Comments (951)

Second verse, same as the first

I just finished entering all of my data for my dissertation into my spreadsheet (yay for me), and I posted that information to my Facebook status. Someone remarked, "and with two kids--yay for you!" or something like that (it was better stated in the original). Yeah. And with two kids. And a husband who has a chronic pain condition. And with a full-time job. And did I mention the aging dog who requires us to be a little more vigilant in the clean up department, lest the baby try to assist with the cleanup? Ok, you didn't need to know that little tidbit. And yay for me for entering my dissertation data, and yay for my friends for being so supportive. I honestly couldn't do it without my friends.

But anyway, sometimes I wonder, "what the hell was I thinking?" And sometimes I wonder, "what the hell AM I thinking?" I've got too much going on, and I'm looking forward to "done dissertation" being one less thing I have going on. Maybe soon. I'll keep you posted.

And then there's a day like today. We went to the pain clinic, and found out that there are even more options for easing the pain. Like Tai chi, and accupuncture, and other drugs. And keep on doing what you're doing. And let's figure out what might be making you feel like you want to check out. And let's keep a little humor in the picture while we're at it.

And then a nice lunch together, like the friends who we are. And later on, the surprise of a belated birthday present, not so secretly hidden away for me to find when I would least expect it (a krumkake iron...with lots of jokes about it being a crumb cake iron, or a croom kake iron...No, that's not right! Crumb ka ka--that's right!)

And the realization that things could be so much worse. Sometimes I'm not sure how, but I know they could be. And recognizing that someday, we'll be past all of this, and C will figure out how to live with the pain. Why should anyone have to live with the pain? But he will, and life will somehow have moved on. And hopefully we won't have been too distracted by all this pain stuff that we won't look back in 20 years and regret not enjoying our kids more.

And so, a temporary lull in the cycle of dealing with chronic pain. Gotta enjoy it while it lasts. In the meantime, I leave you with cranberry girl (yes, cranberries are her new favorite food).

Cranberry girl.jpg

Posted by chri1010 at 11:32 PM | Comments (1458)