Sorta like deja vu

When you're walking down the street and you see someone, do you ever have a feeling that you know that person, but maybe not from the place you're seeing them in? I've been experiencing that quite a bit since I've been back here in Portland. One of my first days here, an old friend walked right by me, even though we were making eye contact. As she passed, I called out her name. "What are you DOING here?" she demanded, surprised that I wasn't in MN, where she expected me.

The other day, it was my turn to be confused. I saw an old friend, Cliff Barnett, standing in line at Noah's Bagels. I wasn't sure that it was really him because he used to have long hair, Birkenstocks, and some pretty relaxed clothing. The guy I saw had short hair, no facial hair, dress pants and fancy shoes. I couldn't help but think that although he looked a bit like Cliff, maybe he was just some familiar face from Minneapolis, and I just thought he was Cliff. So, I sidled up to the counter to grab some extra napkins, hoping he would recognize me. I paused. I fumbled with the napkins. Disappointed that it must not be him, I turned to go back to my seat, when the man said, "Laurene! How come you don't say hi to me!" After we exchanged hugs and all that, I found out that Cliff's new job (in the Dean's office) means that he's dressing up a bit more. But, I should have still known it was Cliff. After all, those fancy shoes--turned out to be his slippers.

Posted by chri1010 at July 15, 2004 5:09 PM