Testing Blogging after some time

checking out the blog again

Wrap Up

What were your favorite discoveries or exercises? My favorites were learning more about social networking, productivity tools, and some of the photo info.
How has this program assisted or affected your everyday work? I learned about some great possibilities in productivity tools that I didn't know were available. I am taking a college class currently and the collaboration tools in Google Documents are going to be a big help with a group project that needs to be completed. I think some of the photo tools will be helpful with work as I do several different newsletters with photos that need manipulation.
Were there any unexpected outcomes or take-aways that surprised you? I just was surprised by some of the software that is available for free to the general public.
What could we do differently to improve this program? Maybe make some of Amy's blog information into a "cheat" sheet so we can keep track of the various software/web site opportunities available online rather than having to refer back to the blog to find the links. I know these will be changing rapidly, but maybe a centralized location we could bookmark??
If another enrichment course of this nature were offered in the future, would you try to participate? I definitely would try to participate. Technology is becoming more and more a part of our work and a great way to reach our audiences. Who would have thought ten years ago that we could do a web cast to someone's home computer and even store that web cast for future use by those unable to log-in during the initial web casting. I have completed all the assignments and found value in all of the assignments. Some I may never use, but at least I know they are available if someone else needs to think through a possible application to use. My favorite "find" is the productivity tools - especially Google Docs.

Week 9 & 10 Combo

I looked at the Twitter information and couldn't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to do that. I guess I am too busy with other things to try to keep up with the miscellaneous chatterings of others. I would prefer to use a regular IM/chat without the restrictions of the length of message to do something useful.

On the other hand, the UMconnect is something I can relate to! I have helped set up work related UMconnect and recently helped work on a web cast utilizing a web cam. This particular webcast saved many people travel time and $$, but also showed people how to do a particular project beyond the curriculum guide.

I think I have completed all the lessons to date. I have explored various items that I did not know where available (especially the Google Docs which is turning out to be perfect for the college class that I am taking). I just wish that I could find the time to write the paper necessary to turn in!

Social Networking & more

I signed up for a LinkedIn account and verified my email address so looking forward to seeing how that all works. I looked at MySpace and Facebook the other day and amazing how much kids are on that from our local school. My kids don' t have an account at this point, but I am sure it won't be long until they start setting something up. My "thing" is that people need to be careful what is posted as can cause problems with future college and jobs. Once a photo is posted, it can't be taken back (you might remove, but someone may have made a copy).

One high point of today is I explored the Google Documents for a class project for a class I am taking and looks like it will be a nearly perfect fit for what we need to get done in a very short period of time! Yeah!

Productivity Tools

I didn't take the time to blog about the productivity tools when I looked at those the other day. I tried to convert a tif to a jpg using the Zamzar site and worked great. I might suggest Google Docs some group members I am collaborating with for a college class project. I might also suggest Google spreadsheet to our 4-H Interstate Exchange group so can accumulate fundraiser orders without having to get together, saving both time and gas $$ (and the frustration of manually adding orders together).

Twitter

I have to admit that I didn't get this Twitter stuff. I thought the information I looked at looked like a lot of noise and would require a lot of weeding to get to the point. I am not a huge cell phone user either so that would probably tie into this !

Podcasts

I checked out some podcasts on CNN and other web sites. Really a great way to listen to updates quickly. I can see value in classroom work-especially recording lectures and adding in audio to online classes. I currently take an online class, but no podcasts at this time. That is actually probably okay since I use my home computer which has a slower connection and the download speed creates jerkiness in sound quality.

Wiki Wiki

Wikipedia is one of my favorite places to find out information. I like to refer to the reference section below and find the actual articles if I am in doubt or need additional supporting documentation for any papers I happen to be writing (I am also a college student at the present time).

Podcasts

Wow-what a deal to be able to share what you want in audio. I could have used this last year when I was teaching a medical transcription class rather than doing some other round about ways of doing testing.

Trying Out Flickr

I am once again trying to catch up- the story of my life it seems. I tried out Flickr today (and have used other similar items such as SmugMug). This would be great to upload candid photos of weddings, graduations or other big events.

RSS Feeds

I just set up my first RSS feeds. Of course, chose Dilbert as my favorite comic selection. It was a little confusing at first (I choose the Bloglines) because I had not received by confirmation email (took a little time for it to come). I am attempting to catch up after working strictly on State Fair for the past month or so.

First Try To Blog

Glad to have the opportunity to learn about the various applications available on the Internet (many of which I have never heard of, but hoping to learn more through this course).