Recently in Notable and Analysis Category

Analysis: Records/CAR

I chose to do an analysis on the recommended site. I chose an article about violations of the Clean-Air-Act in Indiana. The article references two other articles posted by the journalgazette.net.
The main points of the article were provided by the reporting done in the other two articles referenced.
I don't think this kind of reporting requires very advanced computer skills. Specific navigation of a basic search engine would bring you to publications that could supplement your article.
Probably the most important aspect of searching these articles is the ability to recognize legitimate sources from illegitimate sources. IRE would be a trusted source because it holds an esteemed reputation for quality investigative journalism.

Analysis: Numbers

I read a science story in the New York Times about active volcanoes on Venus.
The first thing I noticed, is that it was difficult to find articles that used numbers in three different ways. There were so many articles I found that explained numerical or quantitative expressions with adjective instead of number values.

I noticed that unless it was absolutely necessary, many articles avoiding numbers all together. This seemed to make the article more vague in general, but more comprehensive to the average reader. When I read about Venus and pressure, temperature, and atmospheric change it became much more difficult for me to picture the qualitative difference in my mind.

Though, it was obvious that the author was trying to make the science of the story more comprehensive, he rounded up temperatures and used imagery to relate ideas that may have other wise been difficult to grasp or imagine.

Since the story was about a new discovery on another planet, I think anyone who is not a physicist would have to think a little bit harder to understand all the points the author makes. The good thing is the author accounts for that a does make the article as accessible as possible. Along with that, the sources for this information are advanced science institutes, so I'm sure 'translating' what they say is a task in and of its self. Words like plate tectonics and continental shifts can not really be described any other way. That aspect alone, plus numbers, temperatures and pressures would make any article difficult to simplify. I think the author does a good job though, for sure.

Analysis: Diversity

I read a piece in the New York Times about a Jewish community in China. I know absolutely nothing about Jews in China, so I can't say I had any stereotypes. But I did think that the article protrayed the abstractness of the 'enclave'.

I think the most interesting part about the article is that no one would expect there to be an established Jewish community in China other than as a result of World War II. The article did a good job in explaining this by addressing that the community was not every well know. Most jewish tours did not even go to the Kaifeng.

The article talked about how the citizens of Kaifeng have lost their direct Jewish identity as a result of assimilation and Christian missionaries.

I liked the way the article wove a history of the Jewish community, where it came from and where it is now through the quotes of the people interviewed. One of the people interviewed was Ms. Guo (not her full name). She said that she grew up being told she was a Jew, and avoided pork without really knowing why.

I think her quotes particularly show the obscurity of the community, which I think is an important angle of the story.

Analysis: Obituaries

The obituaries that I read in the Pioneer Press did follow the classic style to an extent. The leads followed the classic New York Times style: name, notable fact, when and where the person died. But the rest of the obituary did not follow the NYT style. In fact, many of the obituaries completely omitted the 'claim to fame' section.

Patricia Ann Tatum's obituary, for instance, mentioned details about her life like her undying faith but did not go into any further detail. The family was mentioned immediately after the lead.

The obituaries in the Pioneer Press differ a lot from resumes because they do not list credentials and accomplishments. The 'claims to fame' are much less business like than resumes. For instance, O. Guy Johnson M.D.'s "claim to fame" had to do with his love of traveling and wine.

Multimedia analysis

I noticed a big difference between the multimedia options on the BBC website and on the Reuters website. The BBC in general is much more visually oriented than the Reuters. Both have a slideshow of photos on the main page but Reuters, unlike the BBC, does not have a very user friendly site.

Whereas the BBC has a side bar that categorizes the news based on geographic continent, Reuters has simply a list of headlines, unorganized at first glance. The BBC has its top news stories accompanied with a photo and a lead. Also, many of the hard-news articles have video. The news stories on the home page that catch your eye are all hard-news. The BBC does a good job of compartmentalizing their website. The features and analysis pieces are under their own category, this way the audience can "pick and choose" exactly what they want to read and when.

The Reuters site is similarly organized, but it is much less detailed. Though there are pictures and multimedia, it is not as well organized as the BBC site. There is no distinction between hard-news stories and features. As I mentioned there is only a list of headlines. Only a handful of the headlines have photos, and few of the articles have video. Depending on which headline you click, some articles are written as news stories, some are written as features. It makes the search for news stories much more tedious.
Just by observing the lay-out of the different websites, I noticed the importance of news sources to have an appealing website. The more difficult it is to mentally organize and separate the news, the less likely I am to stay on the site.

Analysis

The story the BBC covered on Greece's national deficit has been updated multiple times over the last few weeks. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8456216.stm)
The updates have primarily been with the gain of more information.

As the meetings of EU summits investigate the deficit in Greece, the issue seems to get increasingly complicated. The updates of the news story has the effect of a play-by-play, allowing its audience to get the last statements by officials and the most recent attempts of solve the issue.

Though there are, most definitely , other new stories that answer questions or shed light on 'mysteries' of a story. This story only updates the development of a debate.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Notable and Analysis category.

National News is the previous category.