Clashes in Egypt bleed into second day

Egyptian riot police in Cairo fired tear gas and rubber bullets at angry crowds Sunday in Tahrir Square in a scene reminiscent of the 18-day uprising that led to the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, reported the Washington Post.

On Sunday, the second day of clashes, the crowds slowly grew larger throughout the day. By afternoon, police fired tear gas and rubber bullets intermittently as people chanted, "freedom." The wounded were rushed to the makeshift clinic on mopeds, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Economic Times, Yahya el-Sawi, a 21-year-old university student, said he was enraged by the sight of riot police beating up protesters already hurt in an earlier attack by the security forces.

"I did not support the sit-in at the beginning," el-Sawi said. "But when I saw this brutality I had to come back to be with my brothers."

The Economic Times reported the violence reflects the rising public anger over the slow pace of reforms and apparent attempts by Egypt's ruling generals to retain power over a future civilian government.

The Washington Post reported the target of this uprising is the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, the de facto ruler of the country, which appears to be broadening and consolidating power, just eight days before the country's first post-revolt parliamentary elections.

"This is a war of freedom," said 19-year-old college student Sara Mohammed. "We didn't complete our revolution. We stayed 18 days and we got Mubarak out and we'll do it again."