In Memoriam

NorthropRenovation.jpg

You may remember attending concerts in Northrop's bouncy balcony or perhaps even more memorable for you was your walk across Northrop's stage to receive your diploma.

On February 11 the Board of Regents gave their approval to a financing package that will revitalize this iconic building. Northrop will no longer be just a home for concerts, convocation, and commencements.

The revitalized space will increase the amount of space for public study and collaborative space by 50% as well as providing a world-class, multi-purpose 2,800 seat hall, featuring state-of-the-art acoustics, significantly improved sight-lines, cutting-edge technologies and updated amenities.

Northrop will be a home for:

• The University Honors Program, which helps recruit and supports 2,400 of the most academically-talented undergraduates from across the university;
• The Institute for Advanced Study, an incubator where scholars and artists come together from across the University to develop new solutions to pressing issues; and
• Innovation by Design, a lab where entrepreneurs, industry leaders, and faculty work together to solve big real world problems and bring solutions to market.

Northrop Concerts and Lectures will continue presenting performances at other venues during the revitalization. CLA's commencement ceremonies will be held in Mariucci Arena.

More information
Read the U of M press release
Visit the Northrop Auditorium site

LRT Brings Big Changes to Campus

centralCorridor.jpg

Washington Avenue has long been a major hub of campus transportation. Over the next 3 years, it will be the site of major construction that in the end will transform this section of the U of M- Twin Cities campus.

During the construction period, there will be a number of closures and changes that affect how visitors come to the campus. Some changes have already begun. As of March 6, vehicle traffic on the Washington Avenue bridge will be restricted to the north side. Two-way traffic will be maintained. The pedestrian level of the bridge will also be restricted to the north side.

The Metropolitan Council has a website with a number of resources describing the plans and construction schedule along with updates on specific locations along the route.

Alumni profile: Jim Burke

Speech-communication, 1982

Producer of Cedar Rapids, The Savages, Election, and other films

BurkeJim200.jpg

"Film producer and speech-communication alum Jim Burke met with CLA students to talk about how a liberal arts degree prepares students for the future. Photo by Kelly MacWilliams."

Alumnus Jim Burke visited the University of Minnesota campus in early February for a screening of his film Cedar Rapids. He met with CLA students to talk about what a liberal arts education can do to shape and prepare them for the future. Burke also took some time to answer some questions for Alma Matters.

It was great fun to learn about his unique profession. In CLA we always appreciate having our alumni come back to campus to share their stories and what they've learned. And our current students appreciate it, too.

Do you think having a liberal arts degree gives you a big picture approach to your life and work?

I tend to have a big picture look at life and my profession. When I was at the U of M, I had to take a class for Spanish on Don Quixote so that whole quarter all I did was read and talk about just that, which sort of mimics my every day life now.

It's one of the first classes I remember, because something about me must lend itself to getting really interested in something. Because if you're going to make a movie, boy, you'd better strap in. It's a long ride. You have to keep it fresh and keep finding ways to keep yourself interested.

Were you ever asked what you are you going to do with that degree?

No, I don't know if I paid any attention to that.

Dealing with the University, which was this massive bureaucracy, was a frustrating event. And I was kind of a baby about it after I graduated. I thought, "Why didn't they take care of me?" But then I realized: "What do you mean they didn't take care of you?" Of course they didn't and neither does the real world.

The lesson I learned that was so valuable is you've got to figure out a way. And it's totally like that in show business. If you want to be an actor you need to be in the Screen Actors Guild, and the only way you can get in the Screen Actors Guild is if you're an actor. There's no way that can happen, but it does. And it's the same with all of the other guilds.

I whined about that then, but now my heart bursts with pride about the University of Minnesota. I really, truly love it. When I was driving down here today on 35W and I saw the U of M exit sign, it was awesome.

Now I really do see what a value this place had for me. It really did. I made so many friends that I still have today.

About his approach as a filmmaker

As I began making films, I saw a pattern. If I like the movie then other people will like it. It just worked out that way. And now I only make movies that I love.

I make human films. Nobody is going to land on Mars or blow up a space station. That's just not going to happen, because I need to be able to feel it. I need to know that at one point or another in my life I could relate to what the characters are going through. I want to see myself in them. And I think if I can--and I'm not that unique a person--then a lot of other people will be able to relate, too.

Is it difficult to ignore the norms and stay true to your way of making films?
You get tempted to leave the island, but we're on a little island, and we're impervious to market forces. We're going to make these kinds of movies over here, and they will pop because they're good.

I know how to make a movie that changes in tone, and that's not something most people can do. By changing tone, I mean, it's like life. You can be laughing at one point in the day and heartbroken at another. And that's not an easy rhythm to create in a movie. Sometimes if you do it wrong an audience will get [angry with] you. You tricked me. You made me think this was funny and now I'm crying.

Will you keep doing filmmaking, or do you see other projects in your future?

If I ever do anything else it will be --and I'm being totally sincere about this--it would be some job like a bag boy at a grocery store or something just real, connecting with other people and a something-to-do job. Like, what am I going to do today? Well, I've got to work from 10 to 4.

But I try to be present and I've got some great pictures in the pipeline. We've got The Descendants coming up and then we've got just an amazing movie that's set here in Minneapolis. It's just the most original picture.

It sounds like you have time to take in a lot of films.

Sure, I watch everything. I don't need to create spare time for it. That's what I do. That's why I make movies, so I can watch them. I also watch the movies I make hundreds of times. I'm in the dark a lot. [laughs]

Films Jim recommends • Exit Through the Gift Shop • Let Me In

• Hear Jim Burke's and Cedar Rapids screenwriter Phil Johnston's interview with Minnesota Public Radio
• Learn more about Burke's currently released film Cedar Rapids

Thomas-Rasset faces million-dollar damages; judge shuts down LimeWire

Silha lecturer Paul Smith urges justices to find state law unconstitutional

Meanwhile, the Pentagon and the C.I.A. sue authors over books

Righthaven pursues bloggers and other Internet users who republish content

Media sought ways to report on controversy without perpetuating it

Journalists are skeptical about government solutions

Rulings in two foreign courts--the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and the Canadian Supreme Court--favored journalists' rights to protect confidential sources in fall 2010.

Judges from the U.S. Supreme Court to Minnesota remain divided over issue of access