Recently in Anthropology Category

New Graduate Focus in Evolutionary Anthropology

The Department of Anthropology is offering a new graduate focus with training and research opportunities
in the integrated areas of paleoanthropology and behavioral biology.

A Letter from External relations

As John Soderberg, Director of the Evolutionary Anthropology lab, showed me around their lab space, I couldn’t help but contemplate going back to school for a degree in anthropology. There were fascinating objects such as giraffe bones, stone tools, chimpanzee teeth, and fossil casts. I looked through drawers full of comparative anatomical materials that are used by students each semester in the Human Evolution class—which enrolled nearly one thousand students this past year!

Faculty and Staff Awards

Faculty and Staff Awards for 2008

Colloquia Series

Speakers to the 2007–2008 colloquia series were asked to respond to the broad thematic call of the notion “creativity."

The Time Symposium

"Humans through Deep Time: Archaeology and the Pace of Change" was the title of a two-day symposium organized by the Department of Anthropology and held in the Cowles Auditorium in the Humphrey Center, March 13–14, 2008.

40+ Years After Graduation

I am Mentor C. Addicks, Jr., better known as Duke. I received my B.A. in anthropology in 1963, and especially remember enjoying classes with my adviser, department chair E. Adamson Hoebel, and professors Elden Johnson, Rupert Murrill, James Gibbs, and Jesse Jennings.

Undergraduate Profile: Hans Johnson

Hans Johnson co-founded the Maasai Cultural Foundation, a nonprofit organization, with his Maasai friend
Simon Saitoti in 2005 after having traveled to Kenya over the previous five years documenting Maasai music and oral histories.

Undergraduate Student Profiles: Chris Winger

Chris Winger undertook a project to conserve, document, and research a collection of about thirty iron artifacts held by the department. The collection consists of swords, spear points, belt fittings, and other utilitarian objects. The department acquired these artifacts in the early 1930s through an expedition conducted by Professor Albert Jenks. The artifacts were inadequately documented by Jenks and sat in
storage for over seventy years in a very poor state of conservation. In 2006, the artifacts were brought out of storage and Winger began a project to properly conserve and catalog these objects.

Q&A Peter Harle: Undergraduate Advisor

We sat down with Peter Harle, the Department of Anthropology’s undergraduate adviser, to learn more about the undergraduate program, resources available to students, and a little about the man behind-the-scenes.

The Anthropology Club

The Undergraduate Anthropology Club seeks to provide undergraduates at the University of Minnesota with the opportunity to explore the fields of anthropology beyond the classroom setting. The club also serves as a resource for anthropology students, who can find information about classes, help with homework, and meet other students who share similar interests.

From the Field

Matt Hunstiger

Hunstiger1.jpg
This summer’s fieldwork has taken me to France and the Czech Republic. In Carsac-Aillac, in France’s Dordogne region, where I am writing this, I am working with a small group of people re-analyzing the lithics from Combe Grenal housed at the Musée National de Préhistoire in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, an important Middle Paleolithic cave site dug by François Bordes, in anticipation of possible future excavations at the site by Harold Dibble, Shannon McPherron, and Dennis Sandgathe, the principal investigators of the Middle Paleolithic cave site of Roc de Marsal. Roc de Marsal is currently being excavated by Dibble, McPherron, and Sandgathe, and I am also assisting in analyzing the new lithic materials that have come from the site. This work is providing me with a great opportunity to work with, and be trained by, leaders in the field of paleoanthropology, and especially lithics.

Lisa Anderson-LevyLevy.jpg
My dissertation titled “‘Hiding in the Open’: Whiteness and Citizenship in the (Re)production of Difference in Jamaica" is based on research conducted primarily in Kingston, Jamaica beginning in July 2000 through June 2003. This work is part of an ongoing dialogue about the production of difference.
Through an analysis of the reproduction of whiteness(es) and citizenships in Jamaica, I argue against notions of difference as rooted in simplistic binaries that are often naturalized and seen as independently produced. Through nuanced explications of ethnographic details, this project demonstrates the complexities of the mutually productive relationships among the classed, gendered, and sexual components of whiteness and citizenship and documents how these operate in the daily
experiences of Jamaicans. While this is not a comparative work, it has implications for the ways in which whiteness is conceived and theorized in the United States (as well as in other countries) because it fundamentally de-centers whiteness by recognizing other whitenesses, by questioning the social/political investments in whiteness, and by analyzing the ways in which color, class, gender, and
sexuality operate in the production of subjects and the historically and culturally specific forms of those subjectivities.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Anthropology category.

American Studies is the previous category.

Art History is the next category.