Recently in Graduate Category

New Graduate Focus in Evolutionary Anthropology

The Department of Anthropology is offering a new graduate focus with training and research opportunities
in the integrated areas of paleoanthropology and behavioral biology.

From the Field

Matt Hunstiger

Hunstiger1.jpg
This summer’s fieldwork has taken me to France and the Czech Republic. In Carsac-Aillac, in France’s Dordogne region, where I am writing this, I am working with a small group of people re-analyzing the lithics from Combe Grenal housed at the Musée National de Préhistoire in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, an important Middle Paleolithic cave site dug by François Bordes, in anticipation of possible future excavations at the site by Harold Dibble, Shannon McPherron, and Dennis Sandgathe, the principal investigators of the Middle Paleolithic cave site of Roc de Marsal. Roc de Marsal is currently being excavated by Dibble, McPherron, and Sandgathe, and I am also assisting in analyzing the new lithic materials that have come from the site. This work is providing me with a great opportunity to work with, and be trained by, leaders in the field of paleoanthropology, and especially lithics.

Lisa Anderson-LevyLevy.jpg
My dissertation titled “‘Hiding in the Open’: Whiteness and Citizenship in the (Re)production of Difference in Jamaica" is based on research conducted primarily in Kingston, Jamaica beginning in July 2000 through June 2003. This work is part of an ongoing dialogue about the production of difference.
Through an analysis of the reproduction of whiteness(es) and citizenships in Jamaica, I argue against notions of difference as rooted in simplistic binaries that are often naturalized and seen as independently produced. Through nuanced explications of ethnographic details, this project demonstrates the complexities of the mutually productive relationships among the classed, gendered, and sexual components of whiteness and citizenship and documents how these operate in the daily
experiences of Jamaicans. While this is not a comparative work, it has implications for the ways in which whiteness is conceived and theorized in the United States (as well as in other countries) because it fundamentally de-centers whiteness by recognizing other whitenesses, by questioning the social/political investments in whiteness, and by analyzing the ways in which color, class, gender, and
sexuality operate in the production of subjects and the historically and culturally specific forms of those subjectivities.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Graduate category.

Faculty Spotlight is the previous category.

Lab News is the next category.