Recently in Winter 2011 Category

Letter from the Director

Portrait: Al TimsIn this Murphy Reporter, we report on the work of our National Student Advertising Competition Team (NSAC) solving an important and complex campaign challenge presented by the American Advertising Federation. The NSAC campaign process begins with a case study from a corporate sponsor and a real-world problem. Many campuses around North America make this part of a senior campaigns course, but not at Minnesota – students here take on this challenge as an extracurricular commitment. We provide a faculty adviser, but the achievement belongs entirely to the students.

The Other Hangover

Campaign Poster: Friendships aren't drunkproof.By Peggy J. Rader

An SJMC student ad campaign hones in on the social cost of binge drinking

Michelle Gross doesn't remember the exact details, but the School of Journalism and Mass Communication graduate student knows there was an electric moment when someone said, "That's it! The other hangover!"

I joined the National Student Advertising Competition team in fall 2008, hopeful it would provide me with a real-world advertising experience I desperately needed. Looking back, it trumped every expectation I ever had. Along the way, I've had the privilege of working with more than 30 talented NSAC students in generating the core insights that led to The Other Hangover, co-advised eight undergraduate students in implementing the campaign, and developed and led a large-scale quantitative campaign evaluation. To sum up my involvement with The Other Hangover as a "learning experience" would not encapsulate the impact or degree to which this project has strengthened me as a professional and individual.

As a Ph.D. student here in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, I was uncertain exactly what to think fall 2009 when I was asked if I would be willing to help manage a grant-funded project to implement and evaluate an advertising campaign designed by undergraduates.

I have had some professional experience as an account executive in advertising and public relations before starting graduate school, but managing an entire campaign was something I'd never done.

'Like Working in a True Newsroom'

By Amy Olson and Peggy J. Rader

Magazine Production Class Gives Writers and Editors Hands-On Experience

Misplaced commas, beware: Ellen Burkhardt's eagle eye will find you.

"I take great satisfaction in seeing a sentence go from dysfunctional to functional with the right punctuation," says Burkhardt, who began her job as an assistant editor at Minnesota Monthly magazine in November.

SJMC, alumni board recognize ad exec Chuck Porter

porterThumb.jpg

Chuck Porter, B.A., '67, was set to start a legal career (twice) before he jumped ship in law school to put his quick wit and way with words to work in advertising. After 16 years as a freelance copywriter he joined a feisty Miami creative shop in the late 1980s that became Crispin Porter + Bogusky, one of the most successful and sought-after advertising agencies of the last decade, where he is now chairman. Porter, a Presidents Club member who funds a student award in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, returns often to his home state, most recently to receive an Award for Excellence from the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni Society Board and the school.

By Neal Karlen

Suppose "Murphy Hall" was a category on "Jeopardy!," the brain-busting quiz show that requires answers to be posed in the form of questions. The opening answer would be something easy:

"Murphy Hall for $200," says emcee Alex Trebek. "God."

Foreign journalists say they have a better appreciation of American life and the challenges United States media face following a weeklong visit to the Twin Cities.

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication played host to 21 journalists from East Asia and the Pacific region from Oct. 28 through Nov. 3. The visit was part of the fifth annual Edward R. Murrow Program for Journalists, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, The Aspen Institute and 10 journalism schools including the SJMC.

Despite fluctuations in enrollment, the Professional Master of Arts in Strategic Communication program is gaining traction through the Twin Cities business community.

Now in its sixth year, the program seems to have gained a "critical mass" of graduates in the Twin Cities business community, which raised the program's visibility, says Gordon Leighton, program coordinator and lecturer.

Welcome new faculty

School welcomes journalism, journalism history and mass communication professors. Three new professors have joined the School of Journalism and Mass Communication's faculty.

Faculty news

pedelty.jpgAssociate professor Mark Pedelty has signed an advance contract with Temple University Press to publish a book about popular music as environmental communication. Temple's "Sound Matters" series is one of the leading resources for ethnomusicology, in particular sociological studies of popular music. The book will be the culmination of seven years of mixed-methods research, including survey, quantitative analysis, archival research and ethnographic fieldwork.

MJC and INMS merge

By Karen Kloser

After a combined 41 years of programming and service, the Minnesota Journalism Center and the Institute for New Media Studies are merging. The new entity will retain the name Minnesota Journalism Center but will have a new, broader mission and will serve both the journalism and academic communities.

The Minnesota Journalism Center was established in 1979 through a gift from the late John Cowles, Sr., chairman of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune Co. and his wife, the late Elizabeth Bates Cowles.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Winter 2011 category.

Winter 2007-08 is the previous category.