Recently in Subcategory Category

I joined the National Student Advertising Competition team in fall 2008, hopeful it would provide me with a real-world advertising experience I desperately needed. Looking back, it trumped every expectation I ever had. Along the way, I've had the privilege of working with more than 30 talented NSAC students in generating the core insights that led to The Other Hangover, co-advised eight undergraduate students in implementing the campaign, and developed and led a large-scale quantitative campaign evaluation. To sum up my involvement with The Other Hangover as a "learning experience" would not encapsulate the impact or degree to which this project has strengthened me as a professional and individual.

As a Ph.D. student here in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, I was uncertain exactly what to think fall 2009 when I was asked if I would be willing to help manage a grant-funded project to implement and evaluate an advertising campaign designed by undergraduates.

I have had some professional experience as an account executive in advertising and public relations before starting graduate school, but managing an entire campaign was something I'd never done.

SJMC, alumni board recognize ad exec Chuck Porter

porterThumb.jpg

Chuck Porter, B.A., '67, was set to start a legal career (twice) before he jumped ship in law school to put his quick wit and way with words to work in advertising. After 16 years as a freelance copywriter he joined a feisty Miami creative shop in the late 1980s that became Crispin Porter + Bogusky, one of the most successful and sought-after advertising agencies of the last decade, where he is now chairman. Porter, a Presidents Club member who funds a student award in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, returns often to his home state, most recently to receive an Award for Excellence from the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni Society Board and the school.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Subcategory category.