Recently in Winter 1999 Category

In recent years, Congress has tried to make and pass laws that will control sexual material on the Internet -- and do so constitutionally. In 1996, the Communications Decency Act (CDA) was passed as part of the large Telecommunications Act of 1996, the first major overhaul of telecommunications policy in many years.

Paper accepted for the AEJMC Midwinter Conference, Feb. 6, 1999 - Nashville, TN
"Crafting Media: Credibility and Accountability."
By Genelle Belmas, former Silha Fellow

Highlights from the PLI Communications Law Conference

With breakneck changes occurring in the communications industry - from mega-mergers to deregulation to the internet explosion - the regulatory and First Amendment boundaries governing the media are in transition.

David T.Z. Mindich.
New York, NY: New York University Press,
1998, 201 pp., $24.95. Hardcover Only.

In the late 1980s as a doctoral student studying Philippine provincial journalists and their self-perception as agents of social change and development, I stumbled upon a reality I hadn't anticipated in my research design, and one that I had no easy way to measure.

New Silha Fellows

The Silha Center announces its two new Fellows for the 98-99 academic year, Jack Breslin and Erik Ugland. Both are Ph.D. students with the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

The University of Minnesota School of Journalism and Mass Communication seeks applications and nominations for the Silha Professor of Media Ethics and Law. This is a full-time, 9-month tenured position beginning Fall 1999, at the rank of professor or associate professor, depending upon qualifications and experience, and consistent with collegiate and University policies. Salary is competitive with similar academic positions.

On election eve, Nov. 3, Raelin Story, a local KSTP reporter, interviewed Roger Moe, Hubert "Skip" Humphrey III's running mate. At that time 4 percent of the precincts had reported in, and Mr. Humphrey was winning, with 35 percent of the vote, former professional wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura with 33 percent, and St. Paul mayor Norm Coleman with 31 percent. In speaking of the "Ventura factor," Mr. Moe said, "I really think you folks [broadcast and print journalists] let him [Ventura] off the hook. You let him get a free ride, the press did, and nobody knows anything about him. He wasn't pinned down on any of his issues - not like Norm Coleman and Skip Humphrey were. So, I think he's been treated with kid gloves...."

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Winter 1999 category.

Winter 1998 is the previous category.

winter 2001 is the next category.