Technology grants have been awarded--lots of them! Plus more good news in this edition of Accolades.
Associate Professor Hisham Bizri and Justin Schell, Ph.D. candidate, (both Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature) have each been awarded Artist Initiative Grants by the Minnesota State Arts Board.
Graduate student Paul Peterson (German, Scandinavian & Dutch) has received the Leifur Eiríksson Foundation Scholarship for $25,000 to study and do research on Old Norse nicknames in Iceland during the 2011-2012 academic year.
Two additional CLA faculty have been named IAS 2011-12 Faculty Fellows: Christine Marran (Asian Languages and Literatures) and David Samuels (Political Science). A full list of all fellows is online.
Technology Award Recipients
The Course Transformation Program empowers energetic, creative, and motivated faculty members who want to innovate in the area of technology-enhanced learning. The following course teams will work with educational technology consultants over the next academic year to redesign their courses:
* Amy Sanderns, Seth Lewis, Nora Paul, and Kathleen Hansen for Jour 1001 Introduction to Mass Communication.
* Cheryl Olman, Stephen Engel, Thomas Brothen, and Carla Bates for Psy 3031 Introduction to Sensation and Perception.
* Joanna O'Connell for Span 3104W Introduction to the Study of Hispanic Literature.
* Simran Sahi for Econ 3101 Intermediate Microeconomics.
* Lee-Ann Breuch, Barbara Horvath, and Shannon Klug for Writ 3563W Technical and Professional Writing.
The CLA Student Technology Fee Committee is proud to announce the recipients of this year's Technology Grant program:
* Phil Voxland, Charlene Hayes, Walt Jacobs: African American and African Studies Loaner Laptop
* John Soderberg, Martha Tappen: Digital Resources for Teaching Mammalian Anatomy and Archaeology of Animal Bones
* William Beeman, David Valentine: Pocket Camcorders for Student Ethnographic Research
* Jan Estep: Photography Digital Classroom Facilities Upgrade
* Diane Willow, Sonja Peterson: eStudio :: a Transmedia Resource for Collaborative Learning
* Peter Gregg: Production Technology
* Alice Lovejoy: Video Clips for Teaching and Learning
* Verena Mund: 16mm Film Projection
* Rick Treece: Fonetik Recordings
* Derrick Aly, Phil Voxland, Carla Phillips: Handheld Microphone for Heller 1210
* Hiromi Mizuno: Web Creation: Researching on Japan with English Sources
* Monica Frahm: Web-based Language Proficiency Exam for Chinese, Japanese, and Russian
* Michael Duffy: Music Technology Lab
* Judith Mitchell, Raymond Duvall: Political Science Departmental Instructional Loaner Laptops
* Andrew Oxenham, Carla Bates: Enhanced Audio for Sound and Music Demonstrations
* Karl Krohn, Keith Cunnien: Sociology Graduate Student Lab and Shared Instructional Laptop Replacements
* Carol Klee, Timothy Face, Francisco Ocampo: Hispanic Linguistics Laboratory
* Pablo Viedma, Frances Matos-Schultz: From Face-to-Face to a Hybrid Model in Second-Year Spanish
* Mark Deruiter: Updated Video Technology in Graduate Student Clinical Education
* Marcus Dilliard, Bill Healey: ETC EOS Stage Lighting Console for Rarig Center and a Portable Electronic Lighting Console
* John Logie: Laptops and Software to Enhance Writing Studies Instruction