myU OneStop

College of Liberal Arts E-News: Biweekly news from the College of Liberal Arts

CLA Events: Engaging and Inspiring

By Bud Duvall, interim dean

When I assumed the role of interim dean of CLA, I looked forward to the many new and exciting ways that I would engage with collegiate and University communities. Witnessing and participating in celebrations of the creative and academic achievements of CLA faculty, students, and staff have come to be a favorite part of my job, and a salient reminder of the continued importance of the liberal arts mission and ongoing impact.

In the past few weeks, I have been honored to attend a variety of engaging and inspiring events hosted by CLA departments and schools, including:
• the Sovereignty Matters panel discussion (presented by the Department of American Indian Studies & the Circle of Indigenous Nations), in which six of our faculty gave stimulating presentations about facets of the sovereignty of indigenous nations;
• the School of Music's annual Collage Concert, which included outstanding professional-quality performances by choral, orchestral, jazz, chamber, world music, and band ensembles to a packed and enthralled house at Ted Mann;
• the dance program's Dance Revolutions concert at the state-of-the-art Barbara Barker Center for Dance, which featured five beautiful performances by troupes of our students and in several instances choreographed by our faculty;
• the 10th anniversary celebration of the Regis Center for Art, our extraordinary facility at which wonderful artistic works of faculty, staff, and students in the Department of Art were exhibited;
• the dedication of the renovated Kilburn Theater in Rarig Center, a lovely evening of recognition of the donors who made the renovation possible, as well as a performance demonstration of the great, multi-purpose instructional, research, and performance space;
• the Heller-Hurwicz Economics Institute public roundtable on climate change, featuring three leading economist experts (two of whom are distinguished alums of our economics department, and one a Regents professor), who presented cutting-edge analysis in highly accessible terms to an audience of approximately 250 very engaged people;
• a celebration honoring economics alumnus Rüşdü Saraçoğlu (Ph.D., 1980), a recent recipient of the Distinguished Leadership Award for Internationals, a University-wide award for alumni who have distinguished themselves in their post-university work as leaders in their professional careers. Rüşdü provided major public service as Governor of the Central Bank of Turkey and the Turkish Minister of Finance, and he played a lead role in the private sector by presiding over the largest conglomerate in Turkey.

In addition to finding personal enjoyment, I've discovered that I learn something at each of these events about the depth and breadth of our faculty and student work. There are many opportunities over the next few weeks for you to engage, as well, and I hope you will make the effort to do so. I invite you to join me at the University Opera Theatre production of The Bartered Bride or University Theatre's production (opening today) of Joan: Voices in the Fire, just to name two of the forthcoming events.

Faculty and students in the College of Liberal Arts continue to do amazingly impressive work. As dean, it is my distinct honor and privilege to share those accomplishments with the broader CLA community, and I look forward to celebrating with you at an upcoming event.