CLA Focused Upgrade Fair Planned

As the Upgrade approaches, CLA is planning a college-focused event (a "fair") to address CLA specific business practices.

The final date will soon be finalized and shared in future communications.

To ensure that the fair reflects the needs of those working in PeopleSoft, select CLA Upgrade advance team members and admins will work together to identify the appropriate areas that need solutions.

For the fair to be a success, please ensure you have taken all applicable Upgrade trainings available for your position as general Upgrade questions will not be addressed.

The printer security transition is underway. The following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data on Tuesday, March 10 or Thursday, March 12:

• Fraser Hall

• Nolte Center

• Shevlin Hall

• STSS

Each unit will be contacted by email with more information several days prior to scheduled updates.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Christopher Stordalen

Christopher.jpg

Name: Christopher Stordalen

When did you start working at the U? January 5, 2002

Current position? Assistant IT Director for Relationship Management

What excites you about working at the U/CLA-OIT? Working to support and advance the liberal arts.

What is your favorite accomplishment with CLA-OIT, so far? Beginning a successful relationship management team.

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? We all start our path to knowledge somewhere. You are not alone.

Is there a technology trend that you think constituents should embrace? What is it and how could it be used to make their work/person lives easier? Paperless existence. I can help.

What is your favorite place on campus? Northrup or Ted Mann

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown? Hometown: Enderlin, ND. After leaving my hometown, I lived in Fargo, ND as I attended college and kept residence there during summers.

What do you do for fun? Perform in and lead musical and theatrical endeavors. Coach baseball. Carpentry.

What is your dream job (besides the one you have!)? Music Director for the Minnesota Orchestra.

Motto or personal mantra: You'll get enough sleep when you die. AND If not now, when? If not, me, who?

Favorites

Author: J.R.R. Tolkein

Favorite source of inspiration? I derive inspiration from music - particularly masterworks.

Favorite word or word that annoys you? Fixins

Favorite food and drink? Steak (Ribeye). Red Wine (Merlot or Malbec) and Scotch

Favorite TV show(s)? M*A*S*H and West Wing.

Favorite musician or band? Styx (close seconds in Kansas and Boston). Sara Bareilles.

People may be surprised to know: I narrowly escaped being detained by authorities at the Grand Canyon for "exploring".

The printer security transition begins Monday, March 2. During the first week, the following buildings will have a printer outage of several hours as technicians secure ports to better protect data:

Folwell Hall - Monday, March 2

Johnston Hall - Tuesday, March 3

Each unit will be contacted by email the week prior to scheduled updates.

The deadline for submissions to the Academic Innovation Grants Program and Infrastructure for Learning Program is Wednesday, March 4 at 11:59 p.m. All proposals must be received online at that time. Relationship managers are available to assist with proposals and annual departmental plans. Results will be communicated in May.

About The Grants

Academic Innovations

The Academic Innovation Grants Program exists to facilitate innovation in teaching and learning through the application of the latest in instructional technology. Faculty and instructors submit proposals that are reviewed by the Academic Innovation Committee. Download the packet of information and submit proposals online. Questions can be directed to Sarah Knoblauch at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.

Infrastructure for Learning

For equipment upgrades or recurring funding, the Infrastructure for Learning Program supports the long-term evolution and maintenance of the inventory of instructional infrastructure in CLA. This program option is intended to utilize strategic planning with regard to departmental technology equipment.

Department Chairs submit a single plan for their department for the following year that is reviewed by the Infrastructure for Learning Committee, made up of technology and space professionals from departments across CLA and OIT. This committee maintains inventory and reviews department plans for upgrades and new facilities.  

Questions and emails of interest can be directed to Christopher Stordalen at cla-acadtech@umn.edu.  Once the email of interest is received, you may contact your department's relationship manager for assistance in completing the plan documentation.

Good Luck!

DVD/CD Drive Options for Future Dell Computers

The standard configuration Dell computer used by many CLA faculty and staff has changed. All NEW Dell models will no longer have a DVD/CD drive (also known as an optical drive). This is a change at the factory level as technology needs of purchasers evolve.

Faculty and staff who use DVD/CDs in their work or in a classroom have two options with their next computer purchase:

1. Submit content to CLA's DCL3 (Digital Content Library).

2. Purchase a portable external DVD/CD unit when ordering new laptop.

This change does not affect any current computers, only future CLA standard configuration Dell purchases.

Relationship managers are available to assist with questions and solutions.

Upgrade Go-Live Date: April 20. CLA Fair Planned.

During the first week of February, the central Upgrade team announced the revised timeline for transition and what processes will be affected.

The systems interruption, or cutover period, when PeopleSoft and related systems are unavailable or view-only, is expected to begin on April 10th and last approximately 10 days with the system going live Monday, April 20.

Here are ways to get ready:    

In addition to the central Upgrade Fair, CLA will have its own hands-on workshop to address college-specific changes. More details to come later this month.

Security Upgrade Plan Affects ALL CLA Printers

In UMN's continuing effort to protect private data, all printers on campus are undergoing a security review and update. As part of the project, each of the 400 printers in CLA will rotate going offline for an anticipated 2 hr window by the end of February so that the ports can be secured by technicians. Departments will be notified of their scheduled offline time at least three days in advance.

To create a consistent and easy-to-inventory database, each printer will also be given a new naming convention with the following components: college, building, room, printer model. For example, a CLA-OIT printer in Anderson Hall will now be CLA-AndH-110-HP4700c.

In cases where there are more than one printer in a room, they will be designated "a" or "b" at the end of the name.

Printers must be reconnected once the update is complete. Directions on how to reconnect printers will be included in future communications as well as a list of old and new printer names to ease the transition. UMN's 1-Help and CLA's relationship managers will assist those who do not feel comfortable reconnecting their printers following the guide.

All communications will be shared with both department admins and chairs to distribute to faculty and staff as they deem necessary.

Thank you for your understanding as we work to keep data safe.

Get to know CLA-OIT: Sean Burns

Sean Burns_Cropped.jpg

Name: Sean Burns

When did you start working at the U? MLK Day, 1992

Current position? Relationship Manager for CLA-OIT

What advice do you have for CLA-OIT constituents who are intimidated by technology? With the timid I've found that their most common concern is they will break the software or hardware. If I can help allay those fears then they usually make progress using their technology.

What do you do for fun? I ride my bicycle. I've been riding year-round since March of 1996--I very rarely get cold for cycling generates a lot of heat. Since September of 1996 I've ridden more than 73,000 miles. Among my cycling peers this is a relatively low figure.

What was your worst or most unusual job? I cleaned my uncle's calf barn using a small Ford tractor and a blade. It hadn't been mucked out in three years so the manure was 5-feet deep at its deepest. It took about 45 hours. The ammonia smell was nearly over-powering.

Favorites:

Favorite book/author and do you prefer paper or e-book? Currently, Catch-22, but it changes. As for books/e-books, sadly, I prefer my second generation Kindle. I have an attachment to books but the Kindle is a lot easier on my eyes. I've rid myself of most of my standard-sized books by placing them on the ground-floor of Johnston Hall with a post-it attached reading "free to good home". I've kept the large-format ones with lots of illustrations.

Favorite word and word that annoys you? Onomatopoeia is my favorite. I am going to remain reticent about my annoying word--trust me, we are all better off.

Favorite brand? Ibex. If you want to make Minnesota winters easier then buy some. To avoid sticker shock I suggest checking out their closeouts and sales. Wool is expensive.

Favorite food and drink? I don't eat Pho often enough. I like most Belgian beers I've sampled.

Favorite TV show and movie? Favorite movie is The Belly of an Architect. It's a typically uplifting Greenaway flick. Despite all the wonderful television currently available I'm sticking with old reliable Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Favorite musician or band? Hüsker Dü. What can I say, looking at this along with my movie and TV series it is clear, I'm a dinosaur.

Finish the sentence:

People may be surprised to know: I was a national merit scholar.

If I could do it all over again, I would: have done study abroad.

Before I die, I would like to: go to Belgium for the post-Christmas cyclocross races.

Now Free for UMN Departments: Acrobat Pro 11

Adobe's Acrobat Pro 11 is now available at no cost to UMN departments. Acrobat is used to convert any document to a PDF or convert a PDF into other formats, edit PDFs, merge multiple documents in a single PDF, and create fillable and web forms.

Available for installation on University-owned computers, the change provides significant savings for the University since Acrobat currently costs $61-$75 for a single license purchased through Technology Products vendors, and $450 for a full license if ordered directly from Adobe.
Installation questions can be directed to
1-HELP.

Recent Assets

• Christopher.jpg
  • Sean Burns_Cropped.jpg
  • Nicholas Leeman.jpg
  • Holly Leighton APPROVED (1).jpg
  • John Fite (2).JPG
  • John Fite (2).jpg
  • Copy of John Fite copy.jpg
  • John Fite.JPG
  • survey.gif
  • GoogleAppsSurvey.gif

Weekly Archives